Tough Love: who will be benched 1st by JM?

Who gets benched first by JM?

• Brady

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Stü

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • Drake

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Hamonic

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Chabby

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Branny

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norris

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Or under 5' 8"

You can't feed Steak to a Baby.

I think the first sign of accountability will be moved off PP1 or off the PP completely, not long term but 1 PP. I would think that means Batherson, Stutzle or Brady.

One thing I remebet about Jacques Martin is he Rarely if ever changes his soeaicl teams units. I think you’ll see him set them and leave them like that for the season

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That was a very different era for defenceman, so I'm not sure there's much to read into there.

But philosophy is philosophy. If you believe in Dman that can go into corners and come away with pucks Branny isn’t a guy you want on your team .

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
But philosophy is philosophy. If you believe in Dman that can go into corners and come away with pucks Branny isn’t a guy you want on your team .

Odds are he prefers size on the back end, because everybody prefers size on the back end. I'm not doubting that. But the contested board battle is just one aspect of playing defence in the NHL, and it's an aspect that has become less of a priority over time. Meanwhile, Brannstrom does other things well, like quick retrievals and puck movement, that have become increasingly valued since Jacques was last here. So it's at least possible that Jacques values a guy like Brannstrom, even though there wouldn't have been a place for him back in 2001.

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He is going to get rid of the high numbers. Jake Sanderson has been assigned No. 3

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Stützle. Not because he's the worst defensively but because Martin knows he's the most important player to get playing the right way for the next 10 years.

Reactions: LiseL

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Hamonic is the worst at that though?

Like by a significant margin.

Also I don't think it's gonna be Stu. Stutzle actually cares about playing a good 200 ft game.

It's going to be someone who doesn't care at all about helping defensively and we have a couple of those.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Odds are he prefers size on the back end, because everybody prefers size on the back end. I'm not doubting that. But the contested board battle is just one aspect of playing defence in the NHL, and it's an aspect that has become less of a priority over time. Meanwhile, Brannstrom does other things well, like quick retrievals and puck movement, that have become increasingly valued since Jacques was last here. So it's at least possible that Jacques values a guy like Brannstrom, even though there wouldn't have been a place for him back in 2001.
Jacques will have Branny watching video of super-waterbug D Jared Spurgeon on Minny istockphoto-1225103683-612x612.jpg

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Batherson would've been the easy answer but he's really turned it on the last ~10 games.

Maybe Forsberg when he gets the playoff Lalime flashbacks twice a game lol?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
My memory is murky on this so correct me if I'm wrong, but Jacques had defensemen like Traverse or Pothier, who weren't as small as Brannstrom, but weren't overly physical either, yet were serviceable retrieving, moving and passing the puck. I think Jacques will find plenty of use for Brannstrom, at least until Kleven is ready.

Those who hate Brannstrom will probably have to wait till the trade deadline or even more likely the end of the season at the very earliest.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
To piggyback on this - I find Brannstrom has improved alot this season at boxing out and battles in the corner. It'll always be difficult for him when he's giving up 20+ pounds to most guys but the effort has definitely been there, which I can't say for some others.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Branny will be the odd man out. Don’t think I ever remember a Dman under 6’ playing for Jacques Martin

Several when he was assistant in Pittsburgh but that’s a little different.

In Montreal: Bergeron, Spacek, Wisnewski, Diaz

In Florida: none for a full season

In Ottawa: Steve Duchesne

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Or under 5' 8"

You can't feed Steak to a Baby.

I think the first sign of accountability will be moved off PP1 or off the PP completely, not long term but 1 PP. I would think that means Batherson, Stutzle or Brady.
I think there may be changes made to play to each player's strength and negate their bad habits. As for sitting out a few shifts, I agree with your 3 choices. Brady needs to learn to lead by example, not with his fists or cheating for offence. He's now got the best teacher there is in Alfie.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Huge fan of Drake, but he needs to wake the f*** up. So him, I guess

Batherson has the 15th best PPG among NHL forwards since November 9th... similar as Jack Hughes during that span

8 goals, 10 assists +4 in 15 games

He has literally been the Sens best player the last 15 games... unfortunately

He's been one of our best players in the last 10 games or so.

15 games. Best player I'd say, which is also why we have struggled because Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson have to be better. Chabot needs to be healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad