Post-Game Talk: Tough loss 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As many of the Leaf fans have been very gracious and encouraging in Flyer GDTs after Leaf wins, particularly with the awful season the Flyers are experiencing, I felt compelled to do likewise. It was a tough loss on a controversial play, and both teams seem to have lost a key player to injury tonight. All our games against each other seem to be well fought and entertaining, and I wish the Leafs much success towards the playoffs.

Thanks man, do us a favour and knock the snot out of Atlan..err I mean Winnipeg for us. They don't deserve to be anywhere near a playoff spot with the way they've been playing lately. And their fans annoy the hell out of me, the arrogance of them is unreal. You think they'd have a bit more respect for their fellow brethren after getting their team back after close to 2 decades but nope.

Last edited:

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Kostka better sit out the next game. This was the worst performance by a dman for us this season. If this doesn't kick Kostka out of the lineup, we are royally ****ed for the playoffs.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I put this in the Lupul injury thread but Lupul was the emotional leader of this team and the right player to target...if that's what happened.

first taste of playoff hockey?

Didn't see the game so not sure if that's what happened....but sounds like it.

How did Kessel step up after the injury?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I put this in the Lupul injury thread but Lupul was the emotional leader of this team and the right player to target...if that's what happened.

How did Kessel
step up after the injury?

Kessel did his thing last night. He was a bit like his old self, very visible when he had the puck and pretty invisible without. His line was definitely the best one out there. If only JVR was that enthused for every game, we might have a real player in him. I would have loved to see Kadri out there with them for the last five minutes when they were getting double shifted.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Kessel did his thing last night. He was a bit like his old self, very visible when he had the puck and pretty invisible without. His line was definitely the best one out there. If only JVR was that enthused for every game, we might have a real player in him. I would have loved to see Kadri out there with them for the last five minutes when they were getting double shifted.

Yeah hopefully JVR won't be one of those players that shows you something every few nights wishing he'd do it every night. he's still so young and does seem to have a good head on his shoulders so i'm hopeful. putting him with a player like Kadri might be a good move.

that was a playoff win last night for the flyers, taking out Lups, the interference on Reimer on that goal, those are the dirty things you need to do.

MajorityRules*

The winning goal, yes that was goalie interference, but WTF was Kessel doing curling into the middle of the ice when his d man was under pressure and looking to make an out let pass to him...that goal was all on Kessel.

I ****ing knew there'd be someone come in here and blame that goal on Kessel. That goal was all on Kostka. He had plenty of time to make that pass and he banked it off the boards directly to the Flyer player on the point. He didn't throw it around the boards, he banked it off the boards to nobody. Listening to your opinions leads me to believe you haven't got a clue how to play the game.

Kessel was one of the best players in the game last night despite not showing up on the scoreboard. Take your hate glasses off slick and watch the game without bias.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
We don't have that much breathing room from 9th place but if he looks good in practice, I hope O'Bryne gets put with Liles and let Kostka sit. If he's pretty useless then just put Gardiner in and ride the wave and let him learn from his mistakes the hard way if necessary.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Its DISGUSTING how randy puts this Pylon Kostka into the lineup ahead of Gardiner. And he asks Gardiner to hit more? He says Gardiner isn't developed enough? If it was up to Randy he would have all 6 defencemen like Fraser, immobile, slow, aggressive, no shot, fighter...

Anyone remember Karlsson's 2 first years in the NHL?
60GP 5G 21A 26P -5 (+/-)
75GP 13G 32A 45P -30 (+/-)

It would be stubborn to ask Karlsson to... Hit more? Be more aggressive? da *******?

Now he's a Norris winner, why? Because he outsmarts his opponents. He has very similar height/weight than Gardiner, and honestly theyre very similar players. Let Gardiner do his thing. I know he hasn't been the greatest defensively but thats what happens when you let a man play amongst boys in the AHL for so long. Randy gives Holzer several games, Kostka dozens of games and then Gardiner like 3games? God help us, he's thinking Gardiner is a 7th D man or AHLer for life, just like how he considered Lupul a Bottom 6 in Anaheim...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I ****ing knew there'd be someone come in here and blame that goal on Kessel. That goal was all on Kostka. He had plenty of time to make that pass and he banked it off the boards directly to the Flyer player on the point. He didn't throw it around the boards, he banked it off the boards to nobody. Listening to your opinions leads me to believe you haven't got a clue how to play the game.

Kessel was one of the best players in the game last night despite not showing up on the scoreboard. Take your hate glasses off slick and watch the game without bias.

:laugh: No kidding, you could set your watch by this stuff.

3 goals were the direct result of poor play by Kulemin, Kostka and Gunnar.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
O'Byrne may be able to help in game's like this.

http://leafshero.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/where-does-obyrne-fit/

....the Leafs have four defensemen to use as needed: Kostka, Liles, Gardiner and O’Byrne. From among these four, two will form the second pair and two will be in the press box on any given night. We don’t yet know who Carlyle will prefer to play, but there are three potential factors to O’Byrne’s advantage in getting more playing time.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
JVR was flying out there after he scored that goal. Like I said last night, if he ever figures it out he'll be a great player on a nightly basis. He's really fun to watch when he skates the way he can.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Can tell you guys right now I am not 100% confident in Carlyle.

Things I cant understand with Carlyle... Holzer, Kostka, Grabo (line he plays and line mates) Bozak the unmovable, JVR stuck on 1st line and Komisarek.

I think hes a good coach but not Burns, Burns was way better at seeing what was happening on the ice in real time and could tweak in flight. You know like Bowman or Babcock. Not really so sure this guy Carlyle is as sharp as he once were and I think I would like to see a season of Eakins couple years from now. Next if they tank this.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Can tell you guys right now I am not 100% confident in Carlyle.

Things I cant understand with Carlyle... Holzer, Kostka, Grabo (line he plays and line mates) Bozak the unmovable, JVR stuck on 1st line and Komisarek.

I think hes a good coach but not Burns, Burns was way better at seeing what was happening on the ice in real time and could tweak in flight. You know like Bowman or Babcock. Not really so sure this guy Carlyle is as sharp as he once were and I think I would like to see a season of Eakins couple years from now. Next if they tank this.

Your right. His Defensive pairings were terrible the whole season. Phaneuf with Ahler Kostka, Phaneuf with Ahler Holzer.. Liles benched... Gardiner to the Minors... Fraser and Franson unbreakable... Kostka as PP quarterback... Its just... wtf?:shakehead

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Ok, I had a good nights sleep even though I was royally pissed after last nights game!

IMHO these five things contributed heavily to the loss:

1) Leafs were too flat after a 4 day layoff. They should have come out a lot harder against a team that had played a game the night before. We seem to have too many players with non-contact or limited contact clauses in their contracts!

2) Lupul injury! Scared the crap out of too many fellow players. There should have been a heavy hitting response on their STAR players. Ryan O'Byrne should have been dressed instead of McGiveaway Kostka!!! Ryan could have been given the green light to take out Couturier and/or Giroux for the hit on Lupul! Our playoff position was compromised with the loss of Lupul. Their push to GET to a playoff position should have been compromised too!

3) Their tying goal, after we had made the score 2-1, was all on Phaneuf. He needed to make a HIT in the corner instead of waving his stick at the puck. If he takes out the Philly player with authority, there is no pass for the easy tap in goal. This type of play is exactly why I say Phaneuf IS NOT a 6.5 million dollar 1st pairing defenseman!

4) McGiveaway Kostka dressed over a newly acquired Ryan O'Byrne. Do I need to say more? We were playing the surging Broad Street Bullies ffs!

5) Referees? Can we have some unbiased refereeing for a change! We all know Ed Snider has a lot of influence within the NHL. It's no wonder that it looked like these Refs were bought off!!!

That's my take on the game. I did miss the the entire 3rd period though. It sounded like the Flyers just hung on in the end. Too bad we didn't take it to them harder in the 1st 2 periods!!!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Its DISGUSTING how randy puts this Pylon Kostka into the lineup ahead of Gardiner. And he asks Gardiner to hit more? He says Gardiner isn't developed enough? If it was up to Randy he would have all 6 defencemen like Fraser, immobile, slow, aggressive, no shot, fighter...

Anyone remember Karlsson's 2 first years in the NHL?
60GP 5G 21A 26P -5 (+/-)
75GP 13G 32A 45P -30 (+/-)

It would be stubborn to ask Karlsson to... Hit more? Be more aggressive? da *******?

Now he's a Norris winner, why? Because he outsmarts his opponents. He has very similar height/weight than Gardiner, and honestly theyre very similar players. Let Gardiner do his thing. I know he hasn't been the greatest defensively but thats what happens when you let a man play amongst boys in the AHL for so long. Randy gives Holzer several games, Kostka dozens of games and then Gardiner like 3games? God help us, he's thinking Gardiner is a 7th D man or AHLer for life, just like how he considered Lupul a Bottom 6 in Anaheim...

Even better example would be Cam Fowler. He played him even though he was a colossal mess yet Gardiner can't play for the Leafs?

Might as well trade Gardiner in the offseason if we're going to play Kostka and other AHL'ers over him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

If you thought some posters would blame Kessel then you realized he had to share some of the blame for his poor positioning on that goal but for some reason have decided that PK is above criticism .

Kostka made a direct pass to where Keseel should have been , being constantly out of position in the defensive zone doesn't magically shift the blame to a teammate .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Even better example would be Cam Fowler. He played him even though he was a colossal mess yet Gardiner can't play for the Leafs?

Might as well trade Gardiner in the offseason if we're going to play Kostka and other AHL'ers over him.

I like Carlyle and how the team plays but his biggest problem seems to be having personal favorites that dont make sense. Maybe he is still experimenting a bit but Kostka really? How bad did Holzer have to get before he made a move

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I like Carlyle and how the team plays but his biggest problem seems to be having personal favorites that dont make sense. Maybe he is still experimenting a bit but Kostka really? How bad did Holzer have to get before he made a move

Nonis is his boss!!! Why was O'Bryne not dressed as a his new acquisition? Especially, against the Broad Street Bullies! :help:

Come on Carlyle, please get a clue. :rant:

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

The saddest part is if he's doing this to Gardiner, I can't imagine what he's going to do to Rielly... :shakehead

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
kostka was garbage

we gave away the puck to much

kadri is unreal

jvr its about time

**** YOU REFFS.

Also argue the use of Grabo makes little sense and the unwillingness to try other options on first line are suspect. How can you not try Kadri or Grabs at 1c doesnt make sense to me at all when L1 is playing this incomplete of a game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

How did Kessel step up after the injury?

Kessel, rarely steps up, especially after one of his fellow players is battered. It scares him even more. :help:

Kessel should be playing with his sister on the American woman's team! :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad