Tough enough?

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
cant help but feel we got bullied in some games last season. so was wondering if anyone agrees with me that we have to toughen up. if so, how in todays nhl do we make that happen? do you think we need to trade for tough guys or not worry about at all?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
its a skating and speed game now.
Both Tampa and Chicago were in the bottom half of the league in hits and fighting majors. I know some around here don't want to hear that. but that is where the game is headed.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Would being tougher make this team a contender? No. Let's see them get close before looking for minor tweaks.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Yeah they need more grit. I don't mean more fights but guys that have the will to compete no matter what. Even if it means sticking up for a teammate off a dirty or huge hit.

Morin and Goulbourne kind of add to that dynamic. I'd love to see Goulbourne make it and completely force Rinaldo off the roster. Zac doesn't really help in the grit department. He's too much of a one-trick pony. His only attribute is having a hard forecheck and that's it. Need a little more guys to carry that burden Simmonds has to stand for for guys like G.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i'll hold off judgement on the tuffness part until i see how Hak. lets the team play..

Berube def. punished players for having emotion or grit. sooo glad he's gone..

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
They got pushed around a lot until that one Pens game...after that they showed a lot more grit. They also started winning...

MadFerIt95*

Wayne Simmonds ate a bucket of nails for breakfast.

Without any Milk.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I wouldn't call a single player on the team soft.

Yea I was going to go through and list guys that would drop the mitts on this team if they felt like they had to then realized I listed basically the whole team. I don't think you'll see Streit get into a fight any time soon but outside of him I feel like we've seen every body fight except Del Zotto but I feel like if someone took a liberty with him he'd go after the guy.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
its a skating and speed game now.
Both Tampa and Chicago were in the bottom half of the league in hits and fighting majors. I know some around here don't want to hear that. but that is where the game is headed.

This x 1000. I want players who are tough + skilled or skilled alone. No interest in tough for the sake of being tough. That's 70s hockey.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Bitter about that 2012 fight?

.......me too
And also about Laughton getting smacked by Niskanen w/o any support from his team mates. "Legal" hit or not, someone should have responded for the kid. Gutless display. Basically I thought that the Caps were trying to push around the Flyers in every game this season. A response to last season where in a brawl Emery kicked Holtby's @$$. This season, they much got away with it. Maybe it was due to Berube holding back the retaliation. That can't continue. You know that Wilson is going to run someone in the first game between the clubs this season. It would be a great time to settle this stuff once and for all.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
By 'Tough Enough' are we strictly speaking of fighting and retaliation? If so it must be taken into account that the Flyers have almost always been at a disadvantage in the NHL with the Officiating due to past sins and reputation... They Flyers have to play expecting to still, after all these years, be under the microscope and get some calls that other Teams would not. So, often coaches such as Berube -- and I'm not by any means defending Chief or making excuses for him here -- pull back on the reins and coach the Team in a manner where they pay attention to not playing too much at a disadvantage... And it must also be pointed out that in the Current Cap Era the Flyers have chose to carry more skill role players on the lower lines rather than carry a 'Heavyweight' 'Enforcer'... feeling that in Today's NHL one is not really needed.

But 'Tough Enough' can also be associated with intestinal fortitude and the ability to play in rough situations and hold one's own rather than be muscled away or intimidated off... and to keep on going into the corners against the bigger and tougher opposition without fear... or standing one's ground in front of the net or going there to clear it. The ability to tough it out and stay in games that seem lost rather than tuck their tails between their legs and accept defeat without going the extra mile trying to dig out of the unsurmountable hole.

The former Tough situation is understandable and must be dealt with... the latter Tough situation is where I believe Teams such as the Flyers must be questioned... in in the latter one also is the ability and desire to stand up for Teammates.

It seems to me that the Flyers have always sought after in the Draft, via trades or in Free Agency the stereotypical Flyers Type Player and draft the Downies of the or seek out the Carcillos via trades or the many Free Agent tough guys that have paraded through the Organization over the many Seasons. I agree with the person who mentioned that Ryan White is the type player that the Flyers must look to to instill that needed toughness, and still stay competitive in the faster and more skilled NHL of today... Forget the loose cannons that always seem to get the Flyers in trough, digging the holes that sink the Flyers in the end... pass on the next Steve Downie or Dan Carcillo and seek out the available Ryan Whites who demand lower Cap Hits and provide disciplined toughness and give more bang for the buck.

In the end though, IMO, it is the Teams that can compete in all manners... speed... skill... muscle... perseverance... smarts... desire... willingness to go the extra mile... that are able to stay in the hunt against all competition Season after Season. All the Teams that fall short of that balance rise and fall depending of who they draw and pray for the right matchup and ultimately go down pretty early, if they every even make it... Look at the Dynasties before the Cap when there actually were some, and you will see Teams like the Canadiens of the Seventies who could skate with the best and duke it out with the best... To a lesser extend the Bullies here while being noted for their brawling, actually had a balance along with their toughness and had many skilled players with their many role players and a coach like Shero who knew how to get the right mix... and a GM like Allen who could get them the horses.

But that does not answer the question I guess. LOL... oh well.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I think in today's nhl tough comes in the form of players like Wayne simmonds and Andrew shaw types of players. Mean guys on the ice but not idiots like Carrillo or Rinaldo or Shawn thronton. That era is over today's tough guys are big physical and talented. Toughness will need to come from the addition of gudas and morin on the back end and looking at guys like shaw or beleskey in fa or even the addition of Crouse in the draft. Tough guys score now.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
And also about Laughton getting smacked by Niskanen w/o any support from his team mates. "Legal" hit or not, someone should have responded for the kid. Gutless display. Basically I thought that the Caps were trying to push around the Flyers in every game this season. A response to last season where in a brawl Emery kicked Holtby's @$$. This season, they much got away with it. Maybe it was due to Berube holding back the retaliation. That can't continue. You know that Wilson is going to run someone in the first game between the clubs this season. It would be a great time to settle this stuff once and for all.

this is exactly the kind of stuff i worry about....still pissed about laughton incident. kid gets taken out like that and zero response...zero...disgusting. other teams see that too. teams that would love to make up for getting *****-slapped by tough flyer teams for years. in my mind we did get pushed around by the caps and jets. we need to be able to stand up to these teams. white, simmons, luke or somebody has to step up when wilson, buff or whoever tries to run us out of the building. i think getting gudas was a smart move by hextall.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think in today's nhl tough comes in the form of players like Wayne simmonds and Andrew shaw types of players. Mean guys on the ice but not idiots like Carrillo or Rinaldo or Shawn thronton. That era is over today's tough guys are big physical and talented. Toughness will need to come from the addition of gudas and morin on the back end and looking at guys like shaw or beleskey in fa or even the addition of Crouse in the draft. Tough guys score now.

I whole heartedly agree about Wayne and love him as a player... love watching him play. That said, I honestly believe that players like Simmonds have been around and appreciated by many fans in the know for decades... but never by the general mass fans who with their Forwards love the Super-Scorers or the Mega-Goons. And at times players like Wayne were relegated in the minds of some fans to be simply very good Role Players. I love that in Today's NHL people are starting to give Wayne and his ilk their due... Just my opinion, though.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
IMO the more meaningful games you play the more "tough" you play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad