Tough Call : Tomas Plekanec

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
The way I see it, Plekanec will want to re-sign for a decent number of years, but our prospects are coming up quick, and giving Plek a 4 to 5 year deal will create a log jam, and I don't think Bergevin will do that.

In my mind I see things playing out like this;

-Bergevin has some preliminary talks with Pleks agent sometime between now and the trade deadline to see what length of contract he'd be willing to sign this summer. If he's open to the idea of a 2 year deal then they might be able to negotiate, if he wants 4+ that will probably mean the end of him in Montreal, whether he be traded before the deadline or walk as a FA.

-If he is looking for a longer term deal, which he likely will be, then the decision for Bergevin will come down to how much Plek can help the team after the trade deadline and in the playoffs, vs how much whatever return we can get for him will help the team, whether it be immediate or in the future. Basically he'll have to take an honest look at the team and ask the question "do we have a legitimate shot at the cup this year", and then also ask "do we have the depth to step up and fill the hole left if Plek is dealt". If we aren't looking like a cup favorite around trade deadline I think the wise move would be to move Plek for assets that can be used to improve our team for the following season when we're better set for a deep playoff run.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I quoted this for the truth! Plex gives a hella of a lot more than people in this thread are giving him credit for. He is not a playoff beast but, in the right role in the playoffs he can give you excellent 3rd line center minute couple with elite penalty killing minutes. DO NOT play him as your first line center, maximum would be 2nd line shutdown role and he will succeed.

Plex should be able to retire a HAB along with Markov. Guys have played their whole career here, given what hey could and improved the team dynamic overall during their time here. Lifers should not be underestimated in the grand scheme of things.

For those of you that say he is not a high end 2nd liner, he is and his stats prove it along with his penalty killing prowess. No he is not a first line center with tons of play making skill for that position, but, everyone knows that already but some times he ends up there.

Habs should re up him for 3 X 5 at second line center but, roll the minutes so the third line gets more shut down minutes and we gradually increase some PK minutes for a younger guy. That is a retirement deal for Plex, he deserves it. Some players get you to the playoffs( Plex ) some player get you through the palyoffs(ELLER).

Thanks

The problem is you'll have to pay much more than that to get him to re-sign unless he has a bad year.

If Plekanec gets 55-60 points this season (Or is on pace for it while negotiating during the season) then he'll be looking at Kesler/O'Reilly/Bergeron/Stepan type money. Doubly so if you only give him 3 years. And if he ends up playing with Pacioretty the whole year I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 65+.

It's much more likely that it will be 6-6.5 on a 3 year deal, maybe if we go to 5 years (38 in the last season) we could get it down to 5, but that's a big commitment.

So unless Plekanec is willing to forego millions of dollars to stay, we aren't in a position of strength. Everyone after Plekanec is a question mark, and if he wants he can use that to get the deal he wants.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The way I see it, Plekanec will want to re-sign for a decent number of years, but our prospects are coming up quick, and giving Plek a 4 to 5 year deal will create a log jam, and I don't think Bergevin will do that.

In my mind I see things playing out like this;

-Bergevin has some preliminary talks with Pleks agent sometime between now and the trade deadline to see what length of contract he'd be willing to sign this summer. If he's open to the idea of a 2 year deal then they might be able to negotiate, if he wants 4+ that will probably mean the end of him in Montreal, whether he be traded before the deadline or walk as a FA.

-If he is looking for a longer term deal, which he likely will be, then the decision for Bergevin will come down to how much Plek can help the team after the trade deadline and in the playoffs, vs how much whatever return we can get for him will help the team, whether it be immediate or in the future. Basically he'll have to take an honest look at the team and ask the question "do we have a legitimate shot at the cup this year", and then also ask "do we have the depth to step up and fill the hole left if Plek is dealt". If we aren't looking like a cup favorite around trade deadline I think the wise move would be to move Plek for assets that can be used to improve our team for the following season when we're better set for a deep playoff run.

Our top center prospects Hudon/McCarron are probably spending at least another year if not two in the AHL, they are both considered 2 way players so would likely start on the 3rd line for a year or two to hone their defensive game before taking on big responsibility. So it's really only those years 4 & 5 where we maybe have a logjam, but since both guys have are comfortable at wing, it's not a huge issue so long as Plekanec is productive. Personally I'm not sure either is a sure thing as a center, they both only recently converted from wing to center.

The big concern regarding Plekanec's contract isn't the young guys it's when will he start to slow down and how quickly will it be. It's important not to give him a full NTC if we commit 3 or more years.

Strangely enough I think if Plekanec wants to retire a Hab he's better off signing a 3 year deal then a 5 year deal. As the 5 year deal almost guarantees he'll get traded at some point. Whereas the 3 year deal will allow him to re-sign in a 3rd line role/price tag. But I'm not sure any player would see it that way and right now Plekanec holds the upper hand because after him it's just question marks. Bergevin will want to figure out what he has in Galchenyuk and Eller before committing to Plekanec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad