Post-Game Talk: Torts Annoyed in Recent Pressers

cw330

Jan 3, 2017
Has anyone noticed Torts annoyance with someone in the press pool at the beginning of two recent post-games? His remark in both cases was, ""That damn thing...what are you doing with that thing?" Just wondering what that "damn thing" is.
Here's what I'm referring to: https://youtu.be/vJEwt5iX5oA

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Has anyone noticed Torts annoyance with someone in the press pool at the beginning of two recent post-games? His remark in both cases was, ""That damn thing...what are you doing with that thing?" Just wondering what that "damn thing" is.

Apparently Torts doesn't like cell phones. Even if they are recording on them. Seems a bit silly, but I'll allow it since I like everything else about the guy.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

He does not like reporters using cell phones to record videos during interviews.

I think he just likes to keep the reporters on their toes and he also does not let them get away with any BS. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
That comment was part serious and part in jest. He was talking to one of the Columbus media guys that he sees every game and every press conference. I don't know why he doesn't like cell phone voice recorders, but he does. You could see just a bit of non-verbal communication that said in so many words "C'mon Man"!!

I also know he goes nuts if a cell phone rings during the event - he has kicked guys out for that. Personally, I don't blame him. His show, he can do it how he wants.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That comment was part serious and part in jest. He was talking to one of the Columbus media guys that he sees every game and every press conference. I don't know why he doesn't like cell phone voice recorders, but he does. You could see just a bit of non-verbal communication that said in so many words "C'mon Man"!!

I also know he goes nuts if a cell phone rings during the event - he has kicked guys out for that. Personally, I don't blame him. His show, he can do it how he wants.

Agree with all of the above. "If I'm required to talk to you, you better ****in' listen and not be diddling around on your cell phone."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As a working journalist who uses the voice memo feature to record interviews frequently, the subject certainly has the right to discuss the parameters of an interview, although a presser is a different animal IMO. What is the issue with that, I wonder?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Torts has been on his best behavior.. I think he is setting the tone each and every time to let those reporters know to be ready ask your 3 questions and then he's outa there. I don't think he really wants any waves right now - he is being good, but it is his presser, it is his game.

He knows reporters have never really liked him.. especially the national reporters who are now suddenly showing their faces. I'm on his side.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
He's annoyed because the idiot local media are now showing up and asking REALLY STUPID QUESTIONS. Waiting for someone to ask if he is redshirting Sonny Milano.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
If my memory serves me here, one of the times when he seemed to act annoyed was when one of the reporters brought their kid into the presser. But that seemed to be in good fun, and Torts had a good time with it. I think they even had the kid ask Torts a question. It all seemed to be good natured.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
If my memory serves me here, one of the times when he seemed to act annoyed was when one of the reporters brought their kid into the presser. But that seemed to be in good fun, and Torts had a good time with it. I think they even had the kid ask Torts a question. It all seemed to be good natured.

I saw that and once Torts learned it was "take your kid to work day" or something similar, he gave the kid the first question in BOTH the pregame presser and post-game interview.

That told me that Tortorella recognized that the reporters are people that have families and have lives. It was another thing I saw that the national media didn't see but tells me that he is truly trying to change his demeanor when he has a microphone and/or camera in his face.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I saw that and once Torts learned it was "take your kid to work day" or something similar, he gave the kid the first question in BOTH the pregame presser and post-game interview.

That told me that Tortorella recognized that the reporters are people that have families and have lives. It was another thing I saw that the national media didn't see but tells me that he is truly trying to change his demeanor when he has a microphone and/or camera in his face.

I think it could also be that the media portrayed him in a much worse light than he actually ever was. I DO think he's changed, but I think it's a combination of those 2 things that makes it seem so stark.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure he doesn't like video recorder on cell phones. The audio recording is ok.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the other day he made a comment to Bobby Mac about him Periscoping the presser, but I didn't think much about it as him being upset

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Made the FSO broadcast during the second intermission last night. Found me at my seat for a "going to commercial" shot in the crowd.

I was on my phone.

I have a problem.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
You can tell that the Jackets are having success based on the number of new voices during the post-game presser. Early in the season, it was all Porty and Metzold, with maybe an Arace question thrown in. Now, I'm listening/watching the pressers and hearing voices asking questions and wondering "Who the hell is that??"

Also, loved the jocularity during last night's presser when a female reporter (again, no idea whose voice it was) asked Torts about Wild Bill on the PP and prefaced with something like "I know you're not directly involved in the decision..." and Torts was like "Whoa...I'm involved in every decision" and much laughing ensued. You know things are going well when there's coach/media exchanges like that!

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
You can tell that the Jackets are having success based on the number of new voices during the post-game presser. Early in the season, it was all Porty and Metzold, with maybe an Arace question thrown in. Now, I'm listening/watching the pressers and hearing voices asking questions and wondering "Who the hell is that??"

Also, loved the jocularity during last night's presser when a female reporter (again, no idea whose voice it was) asked Torts about Wild Bill on the PP and prefaced with something like "I know you're not directly involved in the decision..." and Torts was like "Whoa...I'm involved in every decision" and much laughing ensued. You know things are going well when there's coach/media exchanges like that!

^^ Wondered the same thing. The only female voice that has been around regularly has been Lori Schmidt from 1460THEFAN, but it wasn't her who asked that question.

Like you, I enjoyed the exchange and found it revealing of the change which has occurred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad