Player Discussion Torrey Mitchell

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
He has some offense in his game. He's more of a goal scorer. Danault is more of a playmaker. They could do well together.

But, imo our best 4th line is:

Hudon Mitchell Lehkonen

We would be relentlessly attacking the opposition with our speed and skill on all 4th lines. Teams would be worn down mentally and in their legs with trying to keep up half way through the game.

One of those two need to play 2nd line LW IMO.

Carr/Byron-Danault-Mitchell is my guess for the 4th.

Lehkonen-McCarron-Sherbak would be our first 1st line in the AHL in a while.

Lehkonen wont play in the AHL. NHL or SHL.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He has some offense in his game. He's more of a goal scorer. Danault is more of a playmaker. They could do well together.

Hudon Mitchell Lehkonen

We would be relentlessly attacking the opposition with our speed and skill on all 4th lines. Teams would be worn down mentally and in their legs with trying to keep up half way through the game.

Placing so much hope on two wingers without NHL experience is a bit too optimistic for me. Still, with the prospect pool about to overflow with near-NHLers like Hudon, Lehkonen, Reway, McCarron, Scherbak, Carr, and Andrighetto, I'm psyched to see who steps up and how high they can go!

On topic, Mitchell is a valuable depth player. Solid skills plus the added motivation of being a local-boy. But for godsakes keep him on the 4th line. I'm tired of players being moved up to fill a vacuum.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Placing so much hope on two wingers without NHL experience is a bit too optimistic for me. Still, with the prospect pool about to overflow with near-NHLers like Hudon, Lehkonen, Reway, McCarron, Scherbak, Carr, and Andrighetto, I'm psyched to see who steps up and how high they can go!

On topic, Mitchell is a valuable depth player. Solid skills plus the added motivation of being a local-boy. But for godsakes keep him on the 4th line. I'm tired of players being moved up to fill a vacuum.

Why can't Mitchell be the 3C? He had a 11 goals last year and like 5 points less than Eller who is being touted as an amazing 3C. Mitchell was also a plus player compared to Lars being a minus player.

This team needs a crash and bang 4th line. The 3rd line can be more of an offensive one if you put Mitchell and Byron out there both guys who had 10+ goals last year. With more time and oppurtunities I don't see why they couldn't get close to notching 15 each.

I think Mitchell is a better option on the 3rd line the DD or Dano or McCarron IMHO.

Hudon Mitchell Lehkonen

Don't like that 4th line at all. We need a 4th line with beef that can crash and bang. The first 3 lines should all be able to produce some offense and I think putting Mitchel and Byron will make a good explotation 3rd line.

Beef up the 4th with big bodies and let them crash and bang and cycle the puck and play heavy out there. Guys like Big Mac/JDLR/Matteau/Dano/Farhnham have enough talent to get 5 or 10 goals each on the 4th while being hard to play against.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why can't Mitchell be the 3C? He had a 11 goals last year and like 5 points less than Eller who is being touted as an amazing 3C. Mitchell was also a plus player compared to Lars being a minus player.

This team needs a crash and bang 4th line. The 3rd line can be more of an offensive one if you put Mitchell and Byron out there both guys who had 10+ goals last year. With more time and oppurtunities I don't see why they couldn't get close to notching 15 each.

I think Mitchell is a better option on the 3rd line the DD or Dano or McCarron IMHO.

I agree that Mitchell's a better option at #3C than DD, Danault or McCarron, but it just underlines our lack of real 3rd line talent more than it endorses Mitchell as the right guy.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I agree that Mitchell's a better option at #3C than DD, Danault or McCarron, but it just underlines our lack of real 3rd line talent more than it endorses Mitchell as the right guy.

I agree. IMO, Pleky would be an ideal 3rd line centre. Unfortunately, at the moment we do not have anybody to fill the 2nd line duties at centre.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

I guess it depends on what type of 3C do we want. An offensive guy, a checking guy, or an all arounder.

I think a guy like McCarron with a bit more seasoning could step into the 3C spot and be good for 15 goals and play heavy but that might not be out of camp. Might take him another half year.

Hudon is another option if you want something more offense orientated. But I agree we are lacking an NHL proven 3C thats why I think Mitchell can be a good stop gap for now.

Either way I think MT will roll his 3 lines and I think that lines 1 and 2 will be doing most of the heavy lifting. We will see lots of power vs power matchups this season rather than the normal checking 3rd line out there to shut down other teams top lines. With Mitchell at least we can trust him if the other team gets their first line out there. If Crosby gets put out against DD's 3rd line we are toast.

4th line

Farnham - McCarron - Mitchell

Not bad of a 4th. Can bang around and Mitchell is a good vet. He can also take faceoffs if needed too.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Mitchell is kind of an afterthought for most while they are pushing for a youth movement (Carr, Mac, DLR). Mitchell is your above-average fourth liner and a solid asset to have in the line-up. He's not useless like Malhotra was. I wouldn't mind him switching to the wing though to let Danault play center on the fourth line.

PJackb

Aug 10, 2016
And where do you guys see Flynn in all this?
Flynn,Matteau, Danault, Byron, Carr and all the other kids coming up
Seems that's a lot of traffic

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Wait...Flynn is still with us? I thought we already dumped him, Unbelievable!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Remember that one game Scott played for us and Mitchell tried like really hard to make him score a goal or have an assist. That was fun.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

31 years old Torey Mitchell scored 10+ goals for the second time in his whole career, the first time was in his first full year.

31 years old Torey Mitchell had 20+ points in a season only twice, last time was 5 years ago.

WHY do you compare him to a player who had 26+ points in every season he was a Habs except for his 1st (his rookie season, you know) ?

and

WHY do you compare him to a guy who had 12+ goals in 4 of his last 5 seasons ?

but yeah, Mitchell would be an awesome 3rd line C...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
31 years old Torey Mitchell scored 10+ goals for the second time in his whole career, the first time was in his first full year.

31 years old Torey Mitchell had 20+ points in a season only twice, last time was 5 years ago.

WHY do you compare him to a player who had 26+ points in every season he was a Habs except for his 1st (his rookie season, you know) ?

and

WHY do you compare him to a guy who had 12+ goals in 4 of his last 5 seasons ?

but yeah, Mitchell would be an awesome 3rd line C...

Lars had two more goals then Mitchell big whoop. And Eller had more chances then Mitchell. Sure 15 might be a stretch but in a 3rd line role Mitchell should be able to get at least 10 goals, 5 more isn't that difficult.

He is better than Dano or DD IMHO and would allow the team to have a more checking/banging 4th line.

Whats there to hate on Mitchell. Local guy, plays hard, gets you 10 goals why not try and reward him and see if it works out.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
This is the way I foresee this season with the depth chart.

Top six;
Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher, Radulov

Sixth spot in the top six;
Shaw, Carr, Hudon, Lehkonen

Bottom six;
Three of the remaining from the previous group, everyone else

I really think that the third and fourth line will be mix matched and completely interchangeable. I can see the ice time among the bottom six being evenly distributed.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Lars had two more goals then Mitchell big whoop. And Eller had more chances then Mitchell. Sure 15 might be a stretch but in a 3rd line role Mitchell should be able to get at least 10 goals, 5 more isn't that difficult.

He is better than Dano or DD IMHO and would allow the team to have a more checking/banging 4th line.

Whats there to hate on Mitchell. Local guy, plays hard, gets you 10 goals why not try and reward him and see if it works out.

5 more isnt that difficult ?? explain to me then why he never, never ever, reached 15.

75% or so, 3/4 of the regular players did NOT reach 15 goals last season, defensemen included...

but yeah, going from 10 (did only twice in his whole career) to 15 shouldnt be that difficult...

right... :laugh:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
This is the way I foresee this season with the depth chart.

Top six;
Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher, Radulov

Sixth spot in the top six;
Shaw, Carr, Hudon, Lehkonen

Bottom six;
Three of the remaining from the previous group, everyone else

I really think that the third and fourth line will be mix matched and completely interchangeable. I can see the ice time among the bottom six being evenly distributed.

Ghetto and Carr have skills and battle tough in the corners. imo, they have to be in the lineup, preferably the top 9.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Um, since 2011-2012, Mitchell scores at a .098 goal per game pace, which averages out to about 8.09 goals a year (less than his career average of 8.23). Last year, at 31 years of age, was only the second time in his career he's eclipsed double digit goal totals. So, not I don't think we can expect 10 goals a year from Mitchell.

By contrast, Eller since 2011-2012 is averaging .178 goals per game, which averages to 14.65 per season.

The difference between Mitchell and Eller over the last few seasons is 6-7 goals. That's pretty huge.

As for Danault making up the difference, he hasn't even scored 7 nhl goals so far. Not only that, it's not a matter of making up the difference. Danault would have to score roughly 14 goals a year from the 3rd line to match Eller's output from the same position (. Not an easy feat, especially since he just barely eclipsed that goal total in the ahl) while Mitchell would have to continue to get career highs just for the Habs to break even on the combined output of Lars and Mitchell last season (which clearly wasn't good enough because they finished terribly).

I get it, you don't like Eller because there was a fan following and you like to go against the grain, but please assess the situation a little better.

Essentially, you're hoping that Mitchell continues to have career highs in his mid-30s while Danault will suddenly triple his career output. Color me skeptical.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Um, since 2011-2012, Mitchell scores at a .098 goal per game pace, which averages out to about 8.09 goals a year (less than his career average of 8.23). Last year, at 31 years of age, was only the second time in his career he's eclipsed double digit goal totals. So, not I don't think we can expect 10 goals a year from Mitchell.

By contrast, Eller since 2011-2012 is averaging .178 goals per game, which averages to 14.65 per season.

The difference between Mitchell and Eller over the last few seasons is 6-7 goals. That's pretty huge.

As for Danault making up the difference, he hasn't even scored 7 nhl goals so far. Not only that, it's not a matter of making up the difference. Danault would have to score roughly 14 goals a year from the 3rd line to match Eller's output from the same position (. Not an easy feat, especially since he just barely eclipsed that goal total in the ahl) while Mitchell would have to continue to get career highs just for the Habs to break even on the combined output of Lars and Mitchell last season (which clearly wasn't good enough because they finished terribly).

I get it, you don't like Eller because there was a fan following and you like to go against the grain, but please assess the situation a little better.

Essentially, you're hoping that Mitchell continues to have career highs in his mid-30s while Danault will suddenly triple his career output. Color me skeptical.

Yes I guess I am hoping that Mitchell can have another career year. Why not give him a shot at 3rd line duties? I think he deserves it after scoring 11 goals last year.

As far Eller he isn't on the team anymore so who cares about him and comparing Mitchell I just brought it up to show that it wouldn't be such a downgrade to go from Ellers 13/14 goals to Mitchell's 10 or so especially if Mitchell played on a 3rd line rather than a 4th line.

I didn't even talk about Dano so I don't know why he was brought up. And BTW this is not an Eller thread its a Mitchell thread. If you guys don't like Mitchell then fine I just think he is a better option than DD or Dano on the 3rd line and deserves a chance.

Is it really that hard to be positive about a habs player or what?

5 more isnt that difficult ?? explain to me then why he never, never ever, reached 15.

75% or so, 3/4 of the regular players did NOT reach 15 goals last season, defensemen included...

but yeah, going from 10 (did only twice in his whole career) to 15 shouldnt be that difficult...

right... :laugh:

Give him some more ice time and better linemates then 4th liners and lets see what he can do. It's a better option than DD or Dano IMHO.

But if you really don't like Mitchel in a 3rd line role thats your prerogative. I think after his performance last year he deserves a chance and would be a better option than DD/Dano.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes I guess I am hoping that Mitchell can have another career year. Why not give him a shot at 3rd line duties? I think he deserves it after scoring 11 goals last year.

It's very unlikely Mitchell has back to back career years at his age. His career average is 8 goals including his best year. The odds are against him.

As far Eller he isn't on the team anymore so who cares about him and comparing Mitchell I just brought it up to show that it wouldn't be such a downgrade to go from Ellers 13/14 goals to Mitchell's 10 or so especially if Mitchell played on a 3rd line rather than a 4th line.

Exactly you brought him up, so expect people to continue the conversation. Also your argument was a poor one. Eller produced an average of 6-7 goals more a season than Mitchell. That huge. Essentially your asking Mitchell to almost double his career average in goals to match what Eller brought.

I didn't even talk about Dano so I don't know why he was brought up. And BTW this is not an Eller thread its a Mitchell thread. If you guys don't like Mitchell then fine I just think he is a better option than DD or Dano on the 3rd line and deserves a chance.

You're the one who brought up Eller. And my post is entirely relevant to Mitchell. Stop trying to deflect or decide who gets to speak about who and when. You discussed Eller and Mitchell, I responded to your comparison. If you think that is moving beyond a Mitchell discussion than practice what you preach and don't bring up any other player.

There's being positive and than there is being realistic. Mitchell is as likely to double his career output in goals as Eller is to become a top 6 centre at this point in his career.

In fact, it's more likely Eller hits 20 before Mitchell hits 15.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's very unlikely Mitchell has back to back career years at his age. His career average is 8 goals including his best year. The odds are against him.

Exactly you brought him up, so expect people to continue the conversation. Also your argument was a poor one. Eller produced an average of 6-7 goals more a season than Mitchell. That huge. Essentially your asking Mitchell to almost double his career average in goals to match what Eller brought.

You're the one who brought up Eller. And my post is entirely relevant to Mitchell. Stop trying to deflect or decide who gets to speak about who and when. You discussed Eller and Mitchell, I responded to your comparison. If you think that is moving beyond a Mitchell discussion than practice what you preach and don't bring up any other player.

There's being positive and than there is being realistic. Mitchell is as likely to double his career output in goals as Eller is to become a top 6 centre at this point in his career.

In fact, it's more likely Eller hits 20 before Mitchell hits 15.

So let the odds be against Mitchell and call me unrealistic I think he can get anywhere between 10-15 goals playing on a 3rd line with guys like Shaw/Carr/Ghetto/Byron and think its a better fit for him then on the 4th line. I certainly think he is a better option than DD/Dano.

If you disagree then you would prefer DD/Dano on the 3rd line ? Or rookie Hudon/McCarron?

As far as Eller fine you win he scored more goals then Mitchell while playing on the 3rd line or playing on the wing on the 2nd or getting chances with guys like AG while Mitchell has mainly been a 4th liner. Good for Eller but he isn't on this team anymore.

Good for Eller for being an adequate 3rd liner when he got the chance. I wonder if he was playing on the 4th line and getting 10-12 minutes a game rather than 15 minutes would he scored as many goals? If we can speculate that he was held back by not getting better minutes why not the same for Mitchell. Give Mitchell 3 or 4 more minutes a game and maybe he can pop in 13 or 15, maybe not but I would like to give the local boy a shot.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Torrey Mitchell is only a slight improvement than Flynn. I like him better than Flynn but honestly the only thing that matter is that one of them is gone for Game 1. They are redundant. This becomes even more true with Danault which project to become a slightly better version of Mitchell.

Torrey Mitchell is only a slight improvement than Flynn. I like him better than Flynn but honestly the only thing that matter is that one of them is gone for Game 1. They are redundant. This becomes even more true with Danault which project to become a slightly better version of Mitchell.

I keep thinking about this. I hope McCarron has a strong camp and expose Flynn and Mitchell as just some expendables stopgaps to get rid of. At least Byron has wheel and he is pesky. There was some talks on the trade boards about the Coyotes looking for a 4th line center. Trade him for a 4th round pick, waive Flynn and ride this:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Andrighetto - Plekanec - Radulov
Shaw - Desharnais - Carr
Danault - McCarron - Byron
De La Rose / Farnham

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No one is talking about this guy. He had a 11 goals last year and was mainly a 4th liner.

He should be the 3rd line C. He had 2 less goals then Eller. Looking at his career he has mainly been about an 8-10 goal scorer with what I assume is 4th line minutes.

Put him on the 3rd line with Carr/Ghetto maybe even Byron (another guy with 11 Goals) and its a decent 3rd line that can provide some offense.

We don't need Eller nor do we need DD on the 3rd line. Mitchell is a local boy and a good vet.

This also opens up the 4th line to be a bit more rough. Beef up the 4th line and let them crash and bang. Guys like JDLR/McCarron/MAtteau/Dano/Farnham.

Back to Mitchell I hope he steals DD's spot at camp and gets to center the 3rd line and puts up a career high 15 goals or so this year would love to see that for the kid from Greenfield park!

If you want to be a top team in the NHL, Mitchell is a guy you would have on your 4th line as he's always been more of a 4th liner. His problem in the past was injuries as only once in his career did he play all 82 games. As a 4th liner he can chip in offense and is a hard working player. In a 3rd line role you would be asking a lot more of him at both ends of the ice.

The problem is the Habs appear to be stuck with DD, that said he should still be able to produce more offense then Mitchell by a good bit. The other problem is that DD has had his production drop each year as he was on pace for only 34 pts last year.

Eller was always a disappointment to me, never understood why so many Hab fans liked him. He flashed good things from time to time but then would disappear. Granted I'd rather have him then DD come playoff time as our 3rd line center but with Eller's size and defensive play he actually had value whereas DD is on the verge of being out of the NHL although expansion might buy him some more time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Give him some more ice time and better linemates then 4th liners and lets see what he can do. It's a better option than DD or Dano IMHO.

But if you really don't like Mitchel in a 3rd line role thats your prerogative. I think after his performance last year he deserves a chance and would be a better option than DD/Dano.

where did I say that ? ? ?

show me...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad