Player Discussion Torrey Mitchell

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
at least this'll keep DLR/McCarron (assuming he plays in the NHL this year) from 4th line C duties. on top of that Mitchell's a good team guy, good on face-offs (RH), solid defensively and he can chip in offensively once in a while.

i dont mind having him locked up for 3 years if its for 1.25M'ish, we'll see how much his caphit is tho

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

Nice.

Hopefully he has Galchenyuk signed by the draft and they can look to make some moves to bring in better depth on the wing, as well as open a space at center for Galchenyuk.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If it's for 1.25M or less I'm very, very happy about this signing.

I expect 1.5/1.75M though.

HabsDieHard*

A little long imo, we'll see for how much.

...For a guy who turns 31 in January?

3 years is a little long?

Weird.

My guess is the length means the AAV is a little bit lower.

A trade off I'm always happy to take with vet UFA's personally.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
A little long imo, we'll see for how much.

Bergevin said himself that GMs like to trade for players with term. A 3 year contract gives Mitchell security and a sense of confidence from management, which imo can affect a guy's play. The fact that he's from here will surely give him that extra boost of pride, and hockey players fuel on that. And from an asset management perspective, makes him more attrayable to other GMs

HabsDieHard*

If it's for 1.25M or less I'm very, very happy about this signing.

I expect 1.5/1.75M though.

Anything 2 and under is a solid signing.

Can't understate the importance of a reliable 4th line center in the NHL today.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
...For a guy who turns 31 in January?

3 years is a little long?

Weird.

My guess is the length means the AAV is a little bit lower.

A trade off I'm always happy to take with vet UFA's personally.

I don't like committing term to depth guys like Mitchell. They did it with Moen and he fell off the rails fast.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
THREE years?

Mitchell is a good player. I honestly don't mind the term as long as the $ figure is right.

We gave Prust 4 years and he was overpaid by almost a full million and he was still a great player for us, all things considered.

I don't like committing term to depth guys like Mitchell. They did it with Moen and he fell off the rails fast.

Mitchell is a lot better than Moen though... He's a guy that can actually chip in offensively in a 4th line role, and can be relied upon to take important face-offs as well.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Sure, awesome guy for a 4th line center position. Three years is fine if it's 1.5 or under.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like Mitchell though this could be either a good or bad move depending on the cap hit.

I can't stand Bergevin's obsession with locking up grinders long term, but Mitchell is one of the better ones we've seen.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I like Mitchell as a 4th liner. Having a right handed center is also very important for some key faceoffs.

Wonder for how much $$$ we got him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad