News Article: Toronto's Official NHL Yearbook 13-14 predicts Ottawa to finish 9th in East

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I like being underdogs

We are not underdogs though. When one magazine has you predicted to win the stanley cup and other predictions from other magazines or websites have you to be 3rd in the atlantic division, i don't think you can be considered underdogs anymore.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i have sens fighting with montreal for 3rd in the flortheast, with the loser getting a wild-card date against the winner of the flortheast.

i dont think many pundits would disagree with that placement.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
What's an Official NHL Yearbook doing predicting finishes anyway? That should be for 3rd party publications like the Hockey News or McKeen or something like that. Kind of classless (to use a favourite HFB term) for the Leafs to do something like that.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I don't have a real big problem with that prediction to be honest. If our goaltending regresses (and it should regress slightly) and we lose a game here and there we could be on the outside looking in. Toronto were in 5th last year, so a one spot jump is possible, even if they too can regress. We finished 7th so a two spot drop could happen.

Honestly, with the Alfredsson departure it will be interesting to see how the team reacts to adversity. I've never really liked the "underdog" thing, because I'd rather a team play to win and when you win you place higher, but I'd rather be placed ninth and fly under the radar a while.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Predictions are for losers. Did the predictions last year for the senators come true? No they sure didn't. Anybody can make a prediction. Here is mine:

Boston
Detroit
Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto
Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto*
Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto*
Tampa
Sabres
Florida

The 3-5 spot are interchangable between Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. That is more of an accurate prediction then other predictions i have seen.

Last edited:

Erik Norrisson*

First word says it all "Toronto's" official hockey yearbook.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Weird that there's a thread about here, but not on the Leafs board.

I don't think its weird at all. We haven't quite gotten over being concerned about what the leafs think of us just yet as a fanbase. Its better than it used to be, but obviously people still care enough about laugh fans/media predictions...

When we finally stop worrying about other fan bases opinions/predictions (which are there to make their own fans feel better), thats when these threads will stop. These media guides are made for the biggest kool-aid drinkers since 67' and we still give them weight????:help:

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
I don't have a real big problem with that prediction to be honest. If our goaltending regresses (and it should regress slightly) and we lose a game here and there we could be on the outside looking in. Toronto were in 5th last year, so a one spot jump is possible, even if they too can regress. We finished 7th so a two spot drop could happen.

Honestly, with the Alfredsson departure it will be interesting to see how the team reacts to adversity. I've never really liked the "underdog" thing, because I'd rather a team play to win and when you win you place higher, but I'd rather be placed ninth and fly under the radar a while.

If we're basing predictions off what happened last year, think about what type of team Ottawa was... And now add Spezza, Karlsson, and Ryan to the mix.

They have elite goaltending, a no. 1 defenseman, a no. 1 center, and now a top line winger. That is balance that not many teams have.

Missing the playoffs would be nothing short of disappointing.

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
I'm not going to take much stock in any publication (or fan for that matter) who is making predictions based on finishing next season "xth" in the "East" since that's not how playoff berths are determined anymore.

Where are they finishing in the Atlantic? That's really all that matters. You don't need Conference standings anymore fellas, it's a brand new world.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

It's the Official NHL Yearbook, they talk about all the teams.

If we're basing predictions off what happened last year, think about what type of team Ottawa was... And now add Spezza, Karlsson, and Ryan to the mix.

They have elite goaltending, a no. 1 defenseman, a no. 1 center, and now a top line winger. That is balance that not many teams have.

Missing the playoffs would be nothing short of disappointing.

Right. So we lost one of the better two-way players in the game in Alfredsson (-), Sergei Gonchar's veteran presence (-), but gained Spezza (+), Karlsson (+/-, need to see how he skates and so on) Ryan (+), MacArthur (even, he'll basically replace Silfverberg's production), and we lost Silfverberg (-, he's an excellent two-way forward even with perhaps not elite upside), so we're getting more offence but perhaps our end of the ice will struggle.

If Lehner and Anderson regress that could be an extra 15-20 goals against, maybe 25-30. That needs to be compensated up front somehow, maybe with the new guys.
Then of course you have Detroit joining our conference. I wouldn't put it as "disappointing" if we missed the playoffs, this is a young team finding its way and we aren't being picked to win the Cup by any "real" publications so far.

We'll see. I'm looking forward to training camp but my expectations are low at the moment. Now, if the Senators are first in the East or close to it all season then I'll expect much, much more come playoff time.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
It's the Official NHL Yearbook, they talk about all the teams.

Right. So we lost one of the better two-way players in the game in Alfredsson (-), Sergei Gonchar's veteran presence (-), but gained Spezza (+), Karlsson (+/-, need to see how he skates and so on) Ryan (+), MacArthur (even, he'll basically replace Silfverberg's production), and we lost Silfverberg (-, he's an excellent two-way forward even with perhaps not elite upside), so we're getting more offence but perhaps our end of the ice will struggle.

If Lehner and Anderson regress that could be an extra 15-20 goals against, maybe 25-30. That needs to be compensated up front somehow, maybe with the new guys.
Then of course you have Detroit joining our conference. I wouldn't put it as "disappointing" if we missed the playoffs, this is a young team finding its way and we aren't being picked to win the Cup by any "real" publications so far.

We'll see. I'm looking forward to training camp but my expectations are low at the moment. Now, if the Senators are first in the East or close to it all season then I'll expect much, much more come playoff time.

You do math funny.

Alfredsson (-)
Sergei Gonchar's (-)
Spezza (+)
Karlsson (0)
Ryan (+),
MacArthur (0)
Silfverberg (-)
Cowen (0)

I can see why you think the team will struggle.

Milan the God*

You mean we have to prove some critics wrong again? This will be fun.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is another prediction of mine:

1. Penguins
2. Boston
3. Red Wings
4. New York
5. Ottawa
30. Toronto

Last edited:

SensNo1

Sens#1
Oct 11, 2006
Toronto
Can't seem to find it online. I've checked it out a few times at the grocery store, that's it.

That's fine but I don't think it's something to complain over like the op is.
I'm not complaining. I just think it's funny, considering all the really positive predictions we've gotten and discussed so far in this section. Also, the mag seems to be trying to appear neutral. Besides, I had a laughing smiley!

What's an Official NHL Yearbook doing predicting finishes anyway? That should be for 3rd party publications like the Hockey News or McKeen or something like that. Kind of classless (to use a favourite HFB term) for the Leafs to do something like that.
Funny thing is, it doesn't say "Toronto" anywhere in the actual title of the magazine. Sure, it has Lupul on the cover, but that wouldn't be all that out of place on a neutral hockey mag. Also, one of the headlines talks about the Ducks. But if you look at the UPC, it says "Ver 1 - TOR" in small print...I'm guessing they make a bunch of these for the big market teams and slant them all towards them?

I posted this here instead of the NHL or Leafs sections for the sake of the mods.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You do math funny.

Alfredsson (-)
Sergei Gonchar's (-)
Spezza (+)
Karlsson (0)
Ryan (+),
MacArthur (0)
Silfverberg (-)
Cowen (0)

I can see why you think the team will struggle.

SFD was surely one of those who were complaining 2 years ago because we were "too old"... Now he complains because we lost Alfie (40 y/o) and Gonchar (39 y/o). I mean, we have to move on someday about those players, no?

What if we replace them with Bobby Ryan (26 y/o) and Patrick Wiercioch (22 y/o)???

MacAthur will more than replace Silfverberg for the next 2 years then other young players will have the time to develop properly so we will be forgetting about Silfverberg soon enough (like we did for Rundblad)

Where's the problem? Lehner is now part of the team, we could easily have the best tandem in the league. Karlsson will be back healthy, same for Spezza, Cowen and Michalek. I mean see what we did last year without the majority of our key players?

Sure we will have new problems, but let's start fresh and enjoy it while it lasts, no?

It's like saying "we are all going to die anyway" so why bring positiveness to this world or appreciate anything?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad