Pre-Game Talk: Toronto vs Edmonton | Wed. 7pm RSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Hoping you see Lehtonen get some more minutes considering Edmonton isn't really a heavy forecheck team

Reactions: AvroArrow

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Need the team to play the same game. Gotta be aware McDrai will be looking to explode. Oilers as a team will be looking to be more competitive.

Don't be over aggressive and do anything to wake them up. They are quiet and wounded. Just play simple and take the 2 points.

Looking for Matthews breakout.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lines will probably change but these are best guesses at the moment:

With Game Score Value Added in wins (from theathletic.com):

Screenshot_20210119-143631_Sheets.jpg

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Calgary and Montreal are the only teams that I would be okay with the Leafs having a close game against. This should be a dominant win

Reactions: zeke

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
McDavid had a bad game. Check
Oilers were o/7 on pp. Check

We all know we are going to help Oilers with all those

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Will be interesting to eventually see Lehtonen as the sole #6 for a game. Probably not the worst idea to bring him along in this manner until then.

Reactions: supermann_98

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Oilers will come with the 'A' game. Should be interesting
Their A game is the Leafs B- game at best, there's a reason they've made the playoffs once since drafting McDavid. They don't have an A game, just days where LD and McDavid go off.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Gotta stay disciplined against this team. I thought we did a good job on the PK the last 2 games, but this Oilers team can make you pay. I really want to see this leaf team start to score in bunches. They have dominated large portions of the last 3 games. Even in the loss against OTT, they dominated the first 30 mins. I'd like to see them come out the same way they have been the last 3 games, but this time score on these chances. Each of those games they have struggled to convert, I really hope that changes against EDM. other than that, more of the same!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
McDavid had a bad game. Check
Oilers were o/7 on pp. Check

We all know we are going to help Oilers with all those

We have killed 11 straight penalties, including some 5-on-3's. How exactly are we going to help them figure out their PP?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone know why Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear are not playing? I feel like both those guys should be among the Oilers 6 best defenders.

not 100% that they aren't. but it looks that way in practice.

I know that Jones has been bad for them so far this year. Bear I just feel bad for - their D is so bad they expect him to be a top pair dman for them. That's like us expecting Dermott to be our top pair dman. It's just not fair. He's a good young player.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
not 100% that they aren't. but it looks that way in practice.

I know that Jones has been bad for them so far this year. Bear I just feel bad for - their D is so bad they expect him to be a top pair dman for them. That's like us expecting Dermott to be our top pair dman. It's just not fair. He's a good young player.
They were both scratched for their last game, which just confused me especially with Klefbolm out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They were both scratched for their last game, which just confused me especially with Klefbolm out.

well no surprise when young guys struggle, especially when the vets around them suck too.

I mean they use Nurse like a stud #1 dman when he should probably be on a bottom pair or in sheltered 2nd pair usage at best.

They got all sorts of problems back there.

Of course, now I'm jinxing the leafs and we're gonna lose.

Reactions: MattySnipes

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Does anyone know why Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear are not playing? I feel like both those guys should be among the Oilers 6 best defenders.
They've been awful. Not even Bear's fault, typical Oilers situation. Draft a young kid, throw him to the wolves. They did it with Hall, then RNH, then Yak, Drai, Nurse etc. It's Bear's turn now. He should be on the bottom pairing with a veteran D partner, but some things never change

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ethan Bear isn't that bad. It's his second season. He did admirably last year in top 4 role in rookie season. I'd take Bear over Caleb Jones.

Seems maybe sophomore slump. Doesnt help Klefbom is also out. If they give up on Bear, lot of teams inquire. Could possibly get him for cheap.

Nurse isn't playing as a #1 where they have him slotted. He is so big but doesn't use size.

Maybe they still need a few games. You hate to rip a team so early but their 5v5 play hasn't been good. Their PP (1st last year) looks terrible now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad