Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1

How will the first round of the playoffs go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Getting away with picks and the like is a lot different than getting away with finishing high on hit after hit.

That said, there's a number of players I hope can flip the switch come playoffs, because they're just floating out there right now.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's amazing how many 'clean' games our opponents have played against us this year.

They briefly talked about that last night and Bob brought up a couple of good points, we don't play a heavy cycle game, we generate a lot off the rush and we don't typically forecheck all that agressivly or get involved in 50/50 plays after the original shot. We tend to be a one and done type offence. When you don't pressure the opponents, you tend to not draw PIM's

Reactions: LeafSteel

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last night, Tampa had 33 hits against Boston and few were on Chara, including Kucherov’s lone check. They weren’t trying to kill Boston with hits, they were simply taking away their space by finishing their checks.

“It’s so simple, I’m surprised I hadn’t done thought of it before yet”

we averaged 31 hits per game against them in the playoffs last year.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
It's kind of shocking to see the main board write the Leafs off in this series. I'm seeing a lot of posts about the "inevitable" series between Tampa and Boston. Even with Toronto not looking their best lately, I really do feel like they have an excellent chance this series. Rask doesn't scare me in the slightest, and I feel like Leafs will bring a much better effort in Games 1 and/or 2 this time around.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's kind of shocking to see the main board write the Leafs off in this series. I'm seeing a lot of posts about the "inevitable" series between Tampa and Boston. Even with Toronto not looking their best lately, I really do feel like they have an excellent chance this series. Rask doesn't scare me in the slightest, and I feel like Leafs will bring a much better effort in Games 1 and/or 2 this time around.

There is a real good chance the Leafs beat Boston, but from what I watched last night, I wouldn’t be upset to see a 7 game series between TB and Boston followed by 7 games of TB and Wash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
lol.

maybe the least shocking thing of all time.
haha yes and no I guess. But looking at them rationally should at least bring one to the conclusion that Toronto has a deep and scary offence, a goalie who can very hot, and when healthy an underrated D. They are a tough matchup for any team in the league. It's crazy the blind hate they get sometimes although certain members of our fanbase do bring it on themselves at times

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Just don't let Boston (ie Marchand) get in your head
And babcock needs to lay off the line matching a little

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

LOL.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So maybe we should stop calling players out for 'not sticking up for their teammates'. What Kadri did was dumb, but he was sticking up for Marner.

yah but he could have done that without being suspended.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
haha you found that funny eh. I guess shocking is the wrong word. But for a site that is meant to discuss hockey, I don't know how anyone can look at this Leafs team who is 5 points behind Boston and proclaim they don't have a chance, its petty

Reactions: bax

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
haha you found that funny eh. I guess shocking is the wrong word. But for a site that is meant to discuss hockey, I don't know how anyone can look at this Leafs team who is 5 points behind Boston and proclaim they don't have a chance, its petty
Sums up the main board pretty well. Dumb and childish would also have worked.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Judging by the content on the main boards, discussing hockey could almost be classified as a secondary purpose, dumping all over the Leafs being the #1 pastime.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

It’s called rationalization. It’s a defence mechanism to deflect away from reality or the source of the problem to something tolerable to your conscience. Same thing as blaming the refs or league wide conspiracies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I don't buy the reffing excuse. Leafs have to play better than they did last year if they want to win. Don't go into a 2-0 hole again. Play sound defensively. Don't get intimated by Chara. Skate circles around him instead. Don't let Marchand get in your head. Don't worry about Boston, just worry about your own game. Just be sound.
Even when the leafs had a 1 goal lead and the refs called 7 straight minor penalties against the leafs?

Didn't a leaf get a roughing penalty for head butting a Bruins players fist (getting punched in the face)?

I'm hazy on the specifics. Have tried hard to forget that series.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Judging by the content on the main boards, discussing hockey could almost be classified as a secondary purpose, dumping all over the Leafs being the #1 pastime.
Some people create accounts just for this very reason.

That’s life.
We have a bigger hating fan base than most teams have regular fans.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
It’s called rationalization. It’s a defence mechanism to deflect away from reality or the source of the problem to something tolerable to your conscience. Same thing as blaming the refs or league wide conspiracies.
There is nothing I despise more blaming the refs. If you read the post game of any team that just lost a game, there is always posters blaming the refs for the loss

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Honestly, it will come down to Freddy. If he has a repeat performance of last season, we will lose. If he plays to his potential, we have a good chance of advancing to the second round.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Well we know we will be playing according to the the B's home rules, they will be icing 7 skaters against our 4...

Chara conferring with his teammate on which Leaf should get the next penalty...
170887490_27396373.jpg

Bruin announcing ... No goal due to the Leaf forward Double dribbling the puck...

Brunis asking if its too obvious they are shady when they call a "All the Leafs get a penalty" penalty?
referee.jpg

Bruin trying to "Use the force" to stop a Leaf break-away...
referee-don-vanmassenhoven-signals-during-the-toronto-maple-leafs-picture-id83753332

Funny, creative posts like these help me remember why I wade through the HF petty bashing, hot-take strewn crap-post spewed by many on the Forums.

Well done, and I hope your sense of humour is rewarded with a Leafs win in Round 1! :thumbu:

Reactions: kb and Bluelines

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Honestly, it will come down to Freddy. If he has a repeat performance of last season, we will lose. If he plays to his potential, we have a good chance of advancing to the second round.
Depends on Matthews just as much. Are we going to have the Matthews of the past 2 weeks? Or the coast around not caring about anything Matthews of the two months prior, and from the playoffs last year.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The first period of the 1st game will be the most important period of the series.

We let Freddy get mind-f***ed in game 1 last year, we cannot let it happen again.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad