Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1

How will the first round of the playoffs go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
BOS w/Rask in Net: .915sv%, .679pts% (111pt pace)
TOR w/Fred in Net: .917sv%, .682pts% (112pt pace)

Reactions: Sypher04

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
this year:

5v5 score-adjusted: 50.6cf%, 52.0scf%, 56.2hdcf% ---- .882sv%

played pretty well, didn't get much in the way of shooting luck or goaltending tho.

much different than last year, when despite winning the season series 3-1, we didn't play great, other than goaltending:

5v5 score-adjusted: 48.5cf%, 48.4scf%, 38.9hdcf% ---- .921sv%

which continued into the playoffs that year, but without the goaltending:

5v5 score-adjusted: 47.3cf%, 48.0scf%, 50.4hdcf% --- .886sv%

really need Freddy to be Freddy this year. not superFreddy, just Freddy.

Reactions: MyBudJT

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Andersen and Kadri need to get going soon.

Does Andersen need rest?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well we know we will be playing according to the the B's home rules, they will be icing 7 skaters against our 4...

Chara conferring with his teammate on which Leaf should get the next penalty...
170887490_27396373.jpg

Bruin announcing ... No goal due to the Leaf forward Double dribbling the puck...

Bruins asking if its too obvious they are shady when they call a "All the Leafs get a penalty" penalty?
referee.jpg

Bruin trying to "Use the force" to stop a Leaf break-away...
referee-don-vanmassenhoven-signals-during-the-toronto-maple-leafs-picture-id83753332

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't buy the reffing excuse. Leafs have to play better than they did last year if they want to win. Don't go into a 2-0 hole again. Play sound defensively. Don't get intimated by Chara. Skate circles around him instead. Don't let Marchand get in your head. Don't worry about Boston, just worry about your own game. Just be sound.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Well we know we will be playing according to the the B's home rules, they will be icing 7 skaters against our 5...

Chara conferring with his teammate on which Leaf should get the next penalty...
170887490_27396373.jpg

Bruin announcing ... No goal due to the Leaf forward Double dribbling the puck...

Brunis asking if its too obvious they are shady when they call a "All the Leafs get a penalty" penalty?
referee.jpg

Bruin trying to "Use the force" to stop a Leaf break-away...
referee-don-vanmassenhoven-signals-during-the-toronto-maple-leafs-picture-id83753332
Jesus christ thats golden lmao.

I'm not yoo concerned with playing the Bruins in all honesty, I feel like the Leafs could win easily if they play up to expectations, albeit thats a big "if".

Hopefully we rest Freddy over the next 5/6 games, get him into one or two games at the end. Obviously this would be standings dependant.

Reactions: MyBudJT

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't buy the reffing excuse. Leafs have to play better than they did last year if they want to win. Don't go into a 2-0 hole again. Play sound defensively. Don't get intimated by Chara. Skate circles around him instead. Don't let Marchand get in your head. Don't worry about Boston, just worry about your own game. Just be sound.
Wingels with the clear high hit on Marner that wasn't called, caused a Kadri suspension.

Reactions: puckbunnyboy

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The next game you watch, count the infractions that the Leafs get away with. Be honest with yourself and you’ll see there is no conspiracy.
Next game you watch, count the infractions our Leafs get called for that are let go when the opposition does it. Especially watch those games where our Leafs have ZERO power plays to the oppositions 4 or 5!

It appears as though our Leafs are still being punished by the sins of Quinn and Burns, who regularly called out the refereeing during games.

I think the league has figured out that no matter how biased they are against our Leafs, there is little to no loss of Leaf fans. On the other hand, the small market U.S. based teams have been deemed to need help trying to retain and gain fans. Thus the inconsistent refereeing when it comes to the Leafs.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Last night, Tampa had 33 hits against Boston and few were on Chara, including Kucherov’s lone check. They weren’t trying to kill Boston with hits, they were simply taking away their space by finishing their checks.

“It’s so simple, I’m surprised I hadn’t done thought of it before yet”

Reactions: Ports

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
You can stick up without getting suspended.
See Hainsey last night.

Sure but Hainsey also got a double minor last night which lead to a PP. Boston KILLED us on the PP last year.

Full disclosure, I was happy with what Hainsey did last night but at the same time would have been ok with nothing being done, especially in the playoffs when 'doing something' could lead to a penalty or suspension.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Next game you watch, count the infractions our Leafs get called for that are let go when the opposition does it. Especially watch those games where our Leafs have ZERO power plays to the oppositions 4 or 5!

It appears as though our Leafs are still being punished by the sins of Quinn and Burns, who regularly called out the refereeing during games.

I think the league has figured out that no matter how biased they are against our Leafs, there is little to no loss of Leaf fans. On the other hand, the small market U.S. based teams have been deemed to need help trying to retain and gain fans. Thus the inconsistent refereeing when it comes to the Leafs.

Actually, I have. That’s how I came to my conclusion that there is no bias towards theLeafs.

Last night Boston had 3 PP to Tampa’s 6 and like the overwhelming majority of games, I didn’t notice the referees.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure but Hainsey also got a double minor last night which lead to a PP. Boston KILLED us on the PP last year.

Full disclosure, I was happy with what Hainsey did last night but at the same time would have been ok with nothing being done, especially in the playoffs when 'doing something' could lead to a penalty or suspension.
I understand that thinking but don't believe there is ever a time you don't stand up for a teammate.
You can be certain if things were reversed Marchand would be in their for a lick.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

It was mostly tongue in cheek. I guess the frustrating part is the Bruins do a lot of questionable things (no more than us) and they do the "Ooopsies... it was an accident" and there is usually no call cause teh ref's get fooled too easily, when we do something, it's never missed ...

Panthers furious after Chara hit left Barkov bloodied in loss to Bruins

It was an obvious and dirty hit but..nothing...not a PIM, not a sneeze in the direction of the B's.

If our PK can minimize the B's PP, we will win the series, it is that simple. The B's are not all that dangerous 5 on 5, we are. They don't score a lot 5 on 5, we do.

Reactions: OddyOh and Loosie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad