Toronto, Vancouver or Edmonton?

Which city do you think the NHL will choose as the 'hub'?

• Total voters

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Am I in the minority of fans who is less than thrilled about this faux playoffs? No spectators, middle of the summer, rusty players, UFAs playing well past their free agency freedom day (July 1st).

I think it's an act of desperation to return to empty stadiums. The NHL isn't going to be making money out of this even with the players playing for free (okay for relatively small playoff money pots). Both the NHL and the NHLPA must think this is a crucial exercise to maintain the brand.

Not seeing random people in the stands isn't going to worsen my viewing experience.

There's a vacuum of sports for sports fans to watch, doubly so with no NFL and the MLB dragging their dicks around doing who knows what. Even the most casual sports fans down here Stateside know what the Stanley Cup is and the reputation the playoffs have. I think it's a good opportunity for the NHL to dip a toe into greater public consciousness.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not seeing random people in the stands isn't going to worsen my viewing experience.

There's a vacuum of sports for sports fans to watch, doubly so with no NFL and the MLB dragging their dicks around doing who knows what. Even the most casual sports fans down here Stateside know what the Stanley Cup is and the reputation the playoffs have. I think it's a good opportunity for the NHL to dip a toe into greater public consciousness.

Colleges are planning to start football on schedule and you’ll be able to go to a game if you so desire

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It is significantly cheaper to play out playoffs then to pay back Comcast and Rogers. Owners do not want to write a huge cheque to Comcast and Rogers. Players want to keep what they have been paid already and not fork out more escrow on da true up. It is simple math really.

I wonder if NBC and Sportsnet have a say in where the games are played?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wonder if NBC and Sportsnet have a say in where the games are played?
Legally I would guess no ... but would a Sportsnet exec say to Bettman heh look we can save X millions by having remaining games in Toronto in production, travel, hotel and other costs ... and how valuable a negotiating piece is that next contract of Bettman
can say look we helped you guys out in that respect ... but if i was betting i would say da players are going to call this shot ... and most of guys are from Ontario and if an outbreak occurs in fall then they can drive home and isolate much easier then getting in a plane and taking on flight risk of infection and even crossing borders

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
How many TV or could be TV friendly arenas are there in the GTA to make this work? 1, Soctiabank Arena, 2, Coca Cola Arena at the CNE, 3, Paramount Foods Center where Raptors 905 play, 4, Whatever it is in Brampton where Brampton Battalion used to play .

The other cities may have secondary areas too- the Rogers Whatever for the Oillers and the North-land Coliseum,

Not so sure about the facilities in Vancouver.

Further, the TV networks are in Toronto so the people who live here can work here, especially they have to set up in more than one or 2 arenas.

TV Network considerations greatly favour Toronto.

Hotels- not a problem, lots. By the airport too.

And the Toronto Congress Center by the airport - training facility?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Am I in the minority of fans who is less than thrilled about this faux playoffs? No spectators, middle of the summer, rusty players, UFAs playing well past their free agency freedom day (July 1st).

I think it's an act of desperation to return to empty stadiums. The NHL isn't going to be making money out of this even with the players playing for free (okay for relatively small playoff money pots). Both the NHL and the NHLPA must think this is a crucial exercise to maintain the brand.

Its not just marketing, the league would also lose lut on its tv contract

Personally im all for it. Hockey already goes on way too late into June as it is, so at this point I dont see why playing in July/August is any different

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Legally I would guess no ... but would a Sportsnet exec say to Bettman heh look we can save X millions by having remaining games in Toronto in production, travel, hotel and other costs ... and how valuable a negotiating piece is that next contract of Bettman
can say look we helped you guys out in that respect ... but if i was betting i would say da players are going to call this shot ... and most of guys are from Ontario and if an outbreak occurs in fall then they can drive home and isolate much easier then getting in a plane and taking on flight risk of infection and even crossing borders
That’s sort of what I mean. Rights holders having an input makes sense.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Not a sin and not illegal for networks to indicate a preference. They are not interfering with contractual relations as no contract yet signed and Toronto is in the running.

Do you not think that the Broadcast Partners call the commissioner of the NBA, NFL and MLB on a weekly basis, maybe even have prearranged meetings so it is not odd to have a Monday morning call all the time?

I sure hope Rogers calls Betman from time to time because I bet ABC and ESPN call the NBA without shame.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Re: the thread title, I actually don't think there should be a Canadian hub city. Just keep it in one country and shave down the headache of the border.

Reactions: Nineteen67

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016

I disagree completely. Everyone I talk to would love to see hockey soon on tv. The Stanley cup this year will be more legit and special than ever with all the obstacles players will have and sacrifices they make. This year will be the most interesting Stanley cup playoffs and can't wait for it to actually start

Reactions: Menzinger

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I disagree completely. Everyone I talk to would love to see hockey soon on tv. The Stanley cup this year will be more legit and special than ever with all the obstacles players will have and sacrifices they make. This year will be the most interesting Stanley cup playoffs and can't wait for it to actually start
And yet the nhl is dragging its feet and not taking advantage of people’s hunger for sports. . They should be in camp now and starting first week in July.
It would be interesting to know why they are wanting to hide and not be seen.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And yet the nhl is dragging its feet and not taking advantage of people’s hunger for sports. . They should be in camp now and starting first week in July.
It would be interesting to know why they are wanting to hide and not be seen.

Well these things will take time to organize from A logistics POV. Its not something a league can just put togther in a few days

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well these things will take time to organize from A logistics POV. Its not something a league can just put togther in a few days
They had ample time to get going and get some people watching on TV, but as it is now they’ll be buried.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Like Mess said, how do you schedule games and allow for OT, with teams usually playing every second day,
That makes 6 games per hub, that would mean 3 games a day in a hub.
Going to be difficult to schedule

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I assume they’ll play in at least two arenas.

Like Mess said, how do you schedule games and allow for OT, with teams usually playing every second day,

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Its that round robin with the teams already in the playoffs that complicate things.

Otherwise you have 8 play-in teams which = 4 series. So you could play 2 games on 1 day, and then the other 2 on the next, while giving each team a day off in-between games.

5 game max series length X 2 days = 10 days to play the play-in rounds total.

Now the round robin games are being played via NHL regular season rules which mean 3v3 OT and SO so you can control the length of those games. You could either play those 1st games of every day knowing they will not run into the play-in round games or play them in a separate arena.

If Toronto is the Hub city then the play-in games played at Scotiabank arena and the round-robin at formerly Ricoh Coliseum and now Coca-Cola Coliseum perhaps.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Its that round robin with the teams already in the playoffs that complicate things.

Otherwise you have 8 play-in teams which = 4 series. So you could play 2 games on 1 day, and then the other 2 on the next, while giving each team a day off in-between games.

5 game max series length X 2 days = 10 days to play the play-in rounds total.

Now the round robin games are being played via NHL regular season rules which mean 3v3 OT and SO so you can control the length of those games. You could either play those 1st games of every day knowing they will not run into the play-in round games or play them in a separate arena.

If Toronto is the Hub city then the play-in games played at Scotiabank arena and the round-robin at formerly Ricoh Coliseum and now Coca-Cola Coliseum perhaps.
That’s works
One arena has 1 series only,
and the playoff seeding game first at the second rink as the afternoon game, second game, night game

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Re: the thread title, I actually don't think there should be a Canadian hub city. Just keep it in one country and shave down the headache of the border.

Given the amount of air traffic that will be seen when this gets going, I shouldn't think border crossings will be difficult. Those involved will be tested often, health concerns will be negligible re: travel.

I'm not surprised at the results of the poll, with Toronto leading, but I'm a bit surprised to see Edmonton in 2nd place. I wonder where the players would prefer to play?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Let’s be honest, assuming covid is still a real threat Vancouver and Edmonton would make more sense for the safety of the players. They’re also considerably cheaper in terms of hotels and cost of living for the players.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think the NHL will be looking for a bargain on hotel, meals and facility costs. It might well come down to wherever they cut the best deal.

This had more to do with money than anything else, from beginning to end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad