Proposal: Toronto Vancity Trade

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
*Obligatory witty/tired comment about this thread being overdone*

My opinion- Leafs don't move both Kapanen and a 1st (it would have to be 2017) in the same deal.
And as always- this isn't a deal that can likely happen until the Leafs pick is a known entity and the Canucks have accepted a rebuild, soooo the off-season

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly, I think they wait to see where their pick falls, but I would trade the 1st OA pick for Tanev this year straight up. If it falls from 3rd OA to 10th, I think they need to add a good prospect like Kapanen, but I think Lou makes a deal for a top pairing guy.

He didn't wait on a goal tending to magically get better, he won't wait to get a guy who can reasonably play the top pair. I think they aren't sold on the high end talent of the draft, and rather than draft a RD and pray they become a top 4 D in 3-5 years, they would be willing to trade it for someone under 27 who is already that.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Honestly, I think they wait to see where their pick falls, but I would trade the 1st OA pick for Tanev this year straight up. If it falls from 3rd OA to 10th, I think they need to add a good prospect like Kapanen, but I think Lou makes a deal for a top pairing guy.

He didn't wait on a goal tending to magically get better, he won't wait to get a guy who can reasonably play the top pair. I think they aren't sold on the high end talent of the draft, and rather than draft a RD and pray they become a top 4 D in 3-5 years, they would be willing to trade it for someone under 27 who is already that.

Whoa...I have been very vocal about being willing to trade a 1st for Tanev, but if i knew it was 1stOA....that would make me rethink.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think Tanev is very good and he's at a very good age to trade for.

In saying that, the Leafs are still in that position where they have to see where that 1st round pick will be slotted, even if scouts are saying this is a week draft.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zatisev

would be a pretty good top 4 IMO.

I still don't think the Leafs would be done bolstering the back end either.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
our pick this year is likely going to be around 8th-12th, whereas next year it could be closer to 14-18th imo
depends on how much deeper next year is, next years 17th player could be as good as this years 11th who knows. not sure if i wanna pull the trigger as a leafs fan.
Kappy is almost as good as nylander and then theres a good pick added as well..

Yes we "hope" so if all goes right. The games will get tougher to win in the 2nd half of the season.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Agree with all of this.

I'd like Tanev on the Leafs, but I'm not willing to trade basically all our best assets for him.

It doesn't make sense for Vancouver though. They have no use for JVR. If the leafs want a dman like Tanev, they need to give up a lottery 1st round pick. I'm completely ok with that. Tanev is only 26.

Agree. If Vancouver are "REBUILDING", why would they want JVR? Wouldn't they want prospects or picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad