News Article: Toronto to Host World Cup of Hockey?

LeafsFIO*

Good, the Olympics are for amateur athletes and the World Cup is a lot more favourable to NHL teams. This is amazing and the fact that Toronto hosts is even better.

Hall-Crosby-Stamkos will be an ok line I guess, with Toews as a 1A.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
So many people complaining about more of the best hockey in the world... :dunno:

People here are complaining about everything.

I'd like to watch best on best world hockey every two years. Football has the WC and the Continental Championships. Some great players only have a peak of say 4 years, get injured and never can show the world out of NA how good they are or have a chance to win sth international.

And Europeans may get more chances to watch their stars.

I don't like tournaments at or before the start of the season but okay. They need to get some continuity with it and it may become a great tradition.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Anything that gets us away from:
1) International reffing
2) International corruption

is ok in My books. Has anyone seen the replays from the Russia / Finland gold medal game? That was ****ing digesting.

And I Know it is a different sport but what is going on is Soccer with the World Cup in Brazil and in Qatar I dont trust anything coming out of Europe anymore and we need to get away from that corruption.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
What do you think the NHL is?

The World Cup is more like regular NHL hockey than the Olympics. Thus my question: what is the point?

I'm not saying I wouldn't watch it. But it has none of the Olympic appeal and would be inferior to the regular NHL season IMO.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It is what it is.

From the start, it will not be all that important, and players will be playing at half speed because its prior to the NHL season.

Over the time, who knows, it could become a big deal.

Bottom line is it makes far more sense to have a best on best tournament in Toronto in September than it does to have it in Korea in February.

TheThrill81*

And I Know it is a different sport but what is going on is Soccer with the World Cup in Brazil and in Qatar I dont trust anything coming out of Europe anymore and we need to get away from that corruption.

The World Cup is a FIFA event, which is the world governing body for football. UEFA is the European football governing body.

Tyler Biggs*

In other words the NHL would rather have the revenue from a World Cup (that it controls) instead of an Olympics (which the IOC controls).

Tyler Biggs*

Imagine if they played around like this with The World Cup. Hockey has to get its act together and hold its World Cup every 4th year. The Canada Cups were the best hockey we ever saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad