News Article: Toronto to Host World Cup of Hockey?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-to-host-2016-world-cup-of-hockey/

LOS ANGELES — The World Cup of Hockey is expected to be held in Toronto when it is reborn in September 2016, Sportsnet has learned.

The NHL and NHL Players’ Association are currently working on the final details of an agreement that will fill out the international calendar for the next several years and believe that the Air Canada Centre is the ideal location to relaunch the World Cup, according to multiple sources familiar with the discussions.

When the event was last held in 2004, it was split between seven different venues in North America and Europe. The final was held in Toronto and won by Team Canada.

Several different formats were considered for the relaunch of the event before the sides agreed that the biggest impact would be made in the world’s largest hockey market.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So Stamkos will be coming to Toronto after the 2016 season after all :sarcasm:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'd rather just watch regular NHL games. I know this is supposed to replace the Olympics, but it fails completely to do that.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
There is more honor in winning the Olympics then the World Cup. Why can't they play an Olympic hockey tournament before the season starts if the NHL does not want to let their players leave to participate in the tournament during the season (understandable).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yup.

That's what the article says though.

The article makes it sound like they haven't discussed the Olympics?

The World Cup discussions are being held outside of any talks on future Olympic participation. The NHL has sent its players to the last five Winter Olympics, but the Board of Governors has yet to have an in-depth discussion on whether that will continue in 2018.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yup.

That's what the article says though, and I can't imagine them have both the World Cup and the Olympics.

When they had it in 2004 didn't they go to the Olympics in 2006?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Right.

Ignore me. I assumed too many things.

:laugh: No worries, it was a while ago.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the return. We had a lot of fun back in 2004 at the Canada games.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm blasé about the whole thing.

This ship has sailed.

The tournament that matters is the Olympics. The players know it and the fans know it. The World Cup is simply a money grab by the league and the players (since they split revenues 50/50).

In the old days when it was the Canada Cup it was the one true best-on-best international hockey tournament, because NHL players didn't go to the Olympics. But that all ended with the Olympics, which is a mid-season tournament featuring the best players from each country.

The World Cup is a summer tournament, after most of the players have been in a long playoff - are you telling me guys like St. Louis, Nash, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Quick, Toews, Kane, etc are now going to want to start getting ready for a World Cup?

I might be more supportive if they did a couple of things. First, assure everybody Olympic participation will continue. Second, do something different with this tournament. How about making it an under-30 tournament? Or even an under 25 tournament?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The World Cup is played in the first two weeks of September. It's not in the summer

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver

This ship has sailed.

The tournament that matters is the Olympics. The players know it and the fans know it. The World Cup is simply a money grab by the league and the players (since they split revenues 50/50).

...as opposed to a money grab by Coca Cola?

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012

This ship has sailed.

In the old days when it was the Canada Cup it was the one true best-on-best international hockey tournament, because NHL players didn't go to the Olympics. But that all ended with the Olympics, which is a mid-season tournament featuring the best players from each country.

The World Cup is a summer tournament, after most of the players have been in a long playoff - are you telling me guys like St. Louis, Nash, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Quick, Toews, Kane, etc are now going to want to start getting ready for a World Cup?

I might be more supportive if they did a couple of things. First, assure everybody Olympic participation will continue. Second, do something different with this tournament. How about making it an under-30 tournament? Or even an under 25 tournament?

Or if they still go to the Olympics, change that to under 23 or under 25. Then the World Cup be the best players regardless of age.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I agree, this World Cup is a sham, losing the Canada Cup was bad.

About the 2018 Olympics: Scrap the WJC for that year, and have that replace it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Either have the World Cup and scrap the Olympic tourny with NHL players, or don't have the WC and keep sending players to the Olympics. It is redundant to have both tournaments.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Either have the World Cup and scrap the Olympic tourny with NHL players, or don't have the WC and keep sending players to the Olympics. It is redundant to have both tournaments.

because why?

most sports have

World Champions
World Cup __________
Olympics.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
because why?

most sports have

World Champions
World Cup __________
Olympics.

Because I think about soccer and there is only one world cup every 4 years. The Olympic Soccer tourny is U-23. Why would I take the World Cup of hockey seriously? It has no meaning to me if there is an Olympic tourny 2 years after.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

This ship has sailed.

What do you think the NHL is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad