Toronto Sports Radio Discussion

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Count me as another who has turned from Hockey Central to Leafs Lunch.

I do like Kyper, but seeing him and Maclean on TV, Radio etc etc... all the time is more than enough dosage for a week.

O'dog has grown on me.

Always hated Dean Blundell and hes still awful.

Dont mind Blair and really only like PTS for the Friday Round Tables.

I used to listen to the podcast almost daily. Now the only thing I care about are the roundtables.

I don't know how Rogers (or anyone on their air) can expect to be taken seriously when they are they are essentially one in the same with the properties they purport to "cover" (Blue Jays baseball and NHL hockey). The appearance of impropriety is just so huge....Sportsnet has ZERO credibility when it comes to covering the properties they own.

Just like I tune out most of TSN's CFL or curling talk, I do the same for Rogers and their NHL and Blue Jays talk. They're just cheerleaders for their TV properties.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I used to listen to the podcast almost daily. Now the only thing I care about are the roundtables.

I don't know how Rogers (or anyone on their air) can expect to be taken seriously when they are they are essentially one in the same with the properties they purport to "cover" (Blue Jays baseball and NHL hockey). The appearance of impropriety is just so huge....Sportsnet has ZERO credibility when it comes to covering the properties they own.

Just like I tune out most of TSN's CFL or curling talk, I do the same for Rogers and their NHL and Blue Jays talk. They're just cheerleaders for their TV properties.

I'm not really following you here.

Are you saying you avoid Sportsnet and TSN because they pump their own tires too much?

I still listen to Bobcat every so often and don't mind him. But I can't stand Dean Blundell and I wasn't a huge fan of Brady and Walker in the mornings and don't know if I will be able to put up with them in the 1-4 timeslot that Tim & Sid left.

But everyone has their own shtick. I just don't see it with Brady & Walker.

Tim & Sid were really engaging with the people that listened to the station and had good chemistry.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

With all due respect, Bobcat often pokes fun at Rogers and their financial decisions. Brunt does too. I think that Blair tries to stay balanced about it. If there is something that I have personally picked out, I do feel as though the Blue Jays get their tires pumped alot. Sometimes I do question why some Jays stories get air time and why theyre considered a news worthy topic but thats just me and others may view othewise.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
With all due respect, Bobcat often pokes fun at Rogers and their financial decisions. Brunt does too. I think that Blair tries to stay balanced about it. If there is something that I have personally picked out, I do feel as though the Blue Jays get their tires pumped alot. Sometimes I do question why some Jays stories get air time and why theyre considered a news worthy topic but thats just me and others may view othewise.

Brunt and McCown have spent the last three weeks talking about how this has been "the most amazing Spring Training ever" :help: Not even Bob is above sucking his corporate overlords' ass. Any "fun" he pokes at Rogers is just an effort to maintain his shtick. Bob himself knows that he is made less relevant by being part of the Blue Jays and NHL broadcast crew (whether he is specifically on the program or not, if you are a part of Rogers, you are a part of everything they broadcast).

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Brunt and McCown have spent the last three weeks talking about how this has been "the most amazing Spring Training ever" :help: Not even Bob is above sucking his corporate overlords' ass. Any "fun" he pokes at Rogers is just an effort to maintain his shtick. Bob himself knows that he is made less relevant by being part of the Blue Jays and NHL broadcast crew (whether he is specifically on the program or not, if you are a part of Rogers, you are a part of everything they broadcast).

Bob's a baseball fan, he's admitted he's always got rose coloured glasses on regarding the Jays, that started before Rogers owned the team, to the Labatt days.

When it comes to non baseball entities, like MLSE sports franchises, he basically calls it like he sees it. He rips them all the time, doesn't matter that Rogers owns the team.

Do I think Bob's show has taken a downhill turn, yes, do I think he allowed a Rogers bias to effect his baseball passion? No, he's had that long before Rogers ever owned the team.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

That comment speaks to the fact that you have not listened to Prime Time at all. Try listening to Mcown; he is quite the opposite.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A name I'm not seeing discussed here is Mike Wilner. It appears that they're working him into a long term role with the Blue Jays' broadcast team. I thought his career was going the way of Howard Berger's but that hasn't happened. Wilner is a smart guy and well-studied in baseball but he's got the on-air personality of an impudent child.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Wilner is a smart guy and well-studied in baseball but he's got the on-air personality of an impudent child.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone as condescending to his callers as Wilner. He gives them crap for saying "How's it going?". Even McCown doesn't talk down to his callers the way Wilner does.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
A name I'm not seeing discussed here is Mike Wilner. It appears that they're working him into a long term role with the Blue Jays' broadcast team. I thought his career was going the way of Howard Berger's but that hasn't happened. Wilner is a smart guy and well-studied in baseball but he's got the on-air personality of an impudent child.

I couldn't agree more. I can't fathom how this guy is able to stay on the air. His responses to some fans questions or opinions is disrespectful and ignorant. I can't stand the guy and unfortunately tune out when he is on the air, despite being a Jays fan.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
To be fair, the Jays talk callers tend to be absolutely horrible.

Callers can certainly be unrealistic and frustrating, but he has a great job and the listeners (including the callers) are what keeps the show on the air. He should treat them accordingly. The guy should working behind the scenes, as there is no question he knows the game. But he simply should never be allowed on the air.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Callers can certainly be unrealistic and frustrating, but he has a great job and the listeners (including the callers) are what keeps the show on the air. He should treat them accordingly. The guy should working behind the scenes, as there is no question he knows the game. But he simply should never be allowed on the air.

Unrealistic and frustrating are very polite words to describe the average Jays Talk caller, especially after a loss.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I couldn't agree more. I can't fathom how this guy is able to stay on the air. His responses to some fans questions or opinions is disrespectful and ignorant. I can't stand the guy and unfortunately tune out when he is on the air, despite being a Jays fan.

I had a co-worker one time tell Wilner he hoped Tolleson didn't make the Jays and in a short way said he didn't like Tolleson. Wilners response was that's ok, Tolleson probably doesn't like you either. And I just read the tweet and sit and stare. There's no good debate or response from him. He says some things that just leave me shaking my head. The guy just seems like a jerk sometimes.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

The guy possesses zero social skills. You can tell some of his colleagues treat him like a child ready to go off on a tantrum. Even if he were right all of the time, there's no excuse to be rude and curt to a sincere polite caller like he often is. My biggest issue isn't that he's the way he is, everybody has their issues, it's that young impressionable listeners will come away believing that his behaviour is a perfectly reasonable way to cope with conflict.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Didn't read anything else and knew you were talking about Wilner
To me he just sounds too phony when he's talking about the Jays. It's like management told him he needs to be more enthusiastic in his Jays reports, and it comes off as forced

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Wilner is certainly irritating with his homerism constantly on overdrive. I'll never forget the time he told a fan that Snider in a few years was going to be a constant MVP candidate. Now I get it, it's fine to be bullish on the team. But he's bullish (and apologetic) about everything. Some of the Jays poop stinks too, Wilner. Not everything has to be sunshine and rainbows when discussing the team.

His hate on for people courteously asking, "Good evening Mike, how's it going...?" is pathetic. One time he spent two minutes ranting that people need not ask him how he is or how it's going, because he's fine and that wasn't going to change with each caller, and they should jump right into the question. He comes across as an uptight crotchety person.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, McCown takes shots and questions Rogers a lot. He's always been a big baseball fan, ever since he was a kid. It's his favourite sport.

Though, I'd say on the whole, always question anything Rogers sends at you. They're selling ******** pretty regularly.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've called Wilner once and I only did it to make fun of him (and Dioner Navarro). I was driving back from a Sabres game during a World Series rainout so Wilner was just taking calls for a couple hours with Navarro as his guest, so my question went "Hi Mike, I know you have had some success with Herbal Magic so i'm just wondering what Dionner's off season plans are"....I was hung up on immediately but I got the whole question on the air.

Really just a tiny jab, but we thought it was funny. I don't know why punking Wilner on air isn't more of a "thing". That is obviously what he is going for with the way he treats callers.

Wilner is a *********. I especially love when he tries to argue with ACTUAL MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS about things like "pitching to the score".

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
The same Mike Wilner who thinks Derek Jeter was over rated and a product of his market and doesn't belong in the HOF. The same Mike Wilner who decides what teams and players will succeed and promptly disregard you with no objective reasoning if you don't agree.

Can't stand listening to him. His voice makes me bristle.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I've called Wilner once and I only did it to make fun of him (and Dioner Navarro). I was driving back from a Sabres game during a World Series rainout so Wilner was just taking calls for a couple hours with Navarro as his guest, so my question went "Hi Mike, I know you have had some success with Herbal Magic so i'm just wondering what Dionner's off season plans are"....I was hung up on immediately but I got the whole question on the air.

Really just a tiny jab, but we thought it was funny. I don't know why punking Wilner on air isn't more of a "thing". That is obviously what he is going for with the way he treats callers.

Wilner is a *********. I especially love when he tries to argue with ACTUAL MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS about things like "pitching to the score".

Classy. Doesn't surprise me coming from you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad