Sportsnet: Toronto pitching to host NHL events

Tyler Biggs*

But he is right that its the biggest Hockey City in the world. Every other claim on that can go away. If your team is doing well its easy to support them. When they aren't and you still sell out every game and have crazy fans cheering you on no matter what that is Truly Hockeytown. Hockey City Planet Hockey. Whatever you want to call it that's what Toronto is.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
If it happens I'll probably grab tickets to the WC and ASG. Maybe the draft, I like the TSN coverage and I'm not really interested in the world cup of hockey.

Tyler Biggs*

LEAFS WANT ALL THE THINGS:

In typical fashion, Tim Leiweke is swinging for the fences on behalf of the Toronto Maple Leafs. No, this isn't another article about Steven Stamkos (we did that yesterday). We're talking about the 100th anniversary, and the things that he wants the team to do off the ice in 2017. On the list is, well, everything.

The Draft. The Winter Classic. The All Star Game. He even wants the World Cup Of Hockey. From the horse's mouth:

“It’s not a splash. I just think Toronto—it’s our 100th anniversary, and this is the greatest hockey city on Earth. I think we owe it to our fans. And we’re telling the league that they owe it to our fans,†Leiweke said. “They don’t disagree, but we’ve got to go through a process to win it. I think we’ll win it. I think we’ll get there. But we got to go bid on it.â€

http://theleafsnation.com/2014/7/14/leafs-want-all-the-things/score#comments

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So does anyone have any kind of actual source on this "Winnipeg will get Canada's first Winter Classic" silliness?

Okay, I did find a reference that Winnipeg will supposedly get an outdoor game in 2016, but I suspect it will be a Heritage Classic rather than a Winter Classic. Frankly, if the first Winter Classic in Canada was held in Winnipeg, I would consider it an insult to all the other Canadian teams. And frankly, it might cause me to stop watching the NHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto should get all of them... and they probably will. A centennial anniversary is a big deal.

Suckitude aside, the Leafs have been a big money maker for the NHL. Toronto and the GTA produces a crap load of NHL players as well.

No reason why Toronto couldn't host all of the fan events in that year.

I just hope we can have a team by then that isn't a complete joke.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
Bettman will celebrate the 100th year of the NHL by moving the hockey hall of fame to the united states.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see the all star game and winter classic made into the same event since there's no hitting in the all star game anyhow.

I've been to an NHL entry draft. People can criticize me all they want for saying this but it should be in Canada as much as possible and never in the southern US other than possibly Los Angeles. Why? Because most of the prospects drafted are from the CHL so it's an event that draws interest of both NHL teams/fans and CHL... and yes there are people who follow junior hockey but not the NHL.

the florida panthers are hosting the 2015 nhl entry draft,so the likely chance of it staying out the southern us cities is slim to none and the nhl has already said that Nashville will get to host the NHL all-star game in the future(might be the 2016 all -star game),they have placed a bids for the 2016,2017,2018,and 2019 all star game

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto should get all of them... and they probably will. A centennial anniversary is a big deal.

Suckitude aside, the Leafs have been a big money maker for the NHL. Toronto and the GTA produces a crap load of NHL players as well.

No reason why Toronto couldn't host all of the fan events in that year.

I just hope we can have a team by then that isn't a complete joke.

Forbes list came out today - #26 overall, and the only NHL team worth over a billion. (and Bettman said if the Clippers were being sold at 2 billion (AND THEY STINK) this means some other NHL clubs are worth around that - which means the Leafs could very well be worth more than 1.15 billion).

quite frankly - Lieweke shouldn't have had to say a blessed thing. The mere fact Montreal had everything on the basis that they were 100, should have ended all discussion. Centennial teams get everything. the end. Us, then New York, then Boston, Detroit, Chicago (however they fall out)

I think Bettman is going to do it like this

World Cup, ASG, Draft - Leafs Host
Heritage Game - Us vs. Montreal (they host if BMO isn't ready)
Winter Classic (Us vs. Boston)?

We better get all the events like MTL did. No reason not to.

Oh and we will vote our scrubs to start the ASG too!

:laugh:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If we can't get the winter classic, surely we could arrange a Heritage Classic with the Habs.

that would be great.

cujoflutie

the florida panthers are hosting the 2015 nhl entry draft,so the likely chance of it staying out the southern us cities is slim to none and the nhl has already said that Nashville will get to host the NHL all-star game in the future(might be the 2016 all -star game),they have placed a bids for the 2016,2017,2018,and 2019 all star game

I'm fine with the all star game being shared around but I don't believe the entry draft should be down there;

we can debate about how much hockey is followed in the south but how many Southern USA fans follow junior hockey or know anything about these prospects? Remember the 'seen Stamkos' campaign in Tampa 2008? While the NHL and AHL is predominantly played in the states, the majority of players getting drafted are still getting drafted out of Canadian junior teams.

I was at toronto in 2002 and especially the late rounds were still fun because I was hanging with a bunch of OHL fans and a lot of us still recognized some of the players getting drafted in the late rounds.

To those using the 'montreal got everything in their centennial year' argument; I'm not saying it's right or wrong but the leafs centennial will fall the same year as the NHL centennial. That will be the argument for whatever events Toronto is not awarded. It will also be 50 years since the original expansion (though that will likely be celebrated by another NHL expansion).

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
winter classic won't happen in toronto anytime soon. IIRC, bettman said he promised the winnipeg owners that the first canadian hosted winter classic will be given to them. we're going to have to wait after winnipeg to host it here in toronto.
Which is stupid considering they had 100 outdoor games last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad