Sportsnet: Toronto pitching to host NHL events

Zaled

GO LEAFS GO
Dec 6, 2013
I'm not sure if this was discussed here before but, I hope this happens.

The team with the longest Stanley Cup drought is looking to host every other major NHL event—the All-Star Game, the NHL Draft and the Winter Classic, not to mention the anticipated 2016 World Cup of Hockey—leading up to or during the club’s 100th anniversary, to be celebrated throughout 2017.

Tim Leiweke, CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, recently told Sportsnet that the organization is in the process of bidding for all four events.

click here to Read more...

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
winter classic won't happen in toronto anytime soon. IIRC, bettman said he promised the winnipeg owners that the first canadian hosted winter classic will be given to them. we're going to have to wait after winnipeg to host it here in toronto.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I would imagine that everything except the World Cup of hockey is a given. 2017 will be year of the Leaf and it would be a huge mistake for the NHL to not give the major events. ASG, WC and Draft to Toronto. I think the World Cup is pushing it, but we may split host with Montreal or New York. Who knows.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
winter classic won't happen in toronto anytime soon. IIRC, bettman said he promised the winnipeg owners that the first canadian hosted winter classic will be given to them. we're going to have to wait after winnipeg to host it here in toronto.

the hell? why on earth would Bettman promise them that? When I don't know - celebrating the centennial of an O6 team AND the league in the biggest financial market of the NHL ....... sure Winnipeg have a Winter Classic

Who are they gonna play, Arizona?

(actually... that would be cool :laugh:)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
the hell? why on earth would Bettman promise them that? When I don't know - celebrating the centennial of an O6 team AND the league in the biggest financial market of the NHL ....... sure Winnipeg have a Winter Classic

Add the fact that the Leafs have been a visitor in a Winter Classic. Visiting teams in a Winter Classic pretty much always get a home Classic.

HEAVY DUTY

Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

they might compromise and give us a heritage classic though. winter classic is out of the question though until after the peg gets it.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

I think he figured they could hold it in August and the weather would be conducive to ice

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Add the fact that the Leafs have been a visitor in a Winter Classic. Visiting teams in a Winter Classic pretty much always get a home Classic.

This is true.

I think though Lieweke has a point. Montreal got to host everything available when they turned 100. I don't remember if they had to bid on events but still.

I guess the one argument one makes is that since the NHL is turning 100 at the same time they may want to share with New York? (America's biggest market?) but in my mind - why not just wait until NYR turns 100 and then give THEM everything]?

i could see them doing it like this

Leafs (road team WC) [probably to Chicago or NYR]
Leafs Heritage Classic [Montreal, obvi]

and Draft.

and the all star game & world cup o hockey in new york.

though i'll be honest i'd give all of that up in an instant, to be armed and ready for a cup run.

they might compromise and give us a heritage classic though. winter classic is out of the question though until after the peg gets it.

I'm still just trying to wrap my head on how Bettman promised them the first classic. like. If it were Montreal - sure. or Us - but the Classic is a HUGE US thing (that's why it was such big deal that we were the visiting team right?) so I don't see how Bettman goes

"oh yah, well we've never had Canada even be a visitor, but Toronto you can be the road team, and to draw all these US fans.. Winnipeg - you can be the home team for ______________." it's just. it sounds weird to me. I mean Bettman... isn't always stupid :laugh: but that sounds like such a weird promise to make.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Went to the last All Star Game. There's a Sunday afternoon I'll never get back.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

NBC wants Winnipeg? For what reason?!

I don't see it.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This is true.

I think though Lieweke has a point. Montreal got to host everything available when they turned 100. I don't remember if they had to bid on events but still.

I guess the one argument one makes is that since the NHL is turning 100 at the same time they may want to share with New York? (America's biggest market?) but in my mind - why not just wait until NYR turns 100 and then give THEM everything]?

i could see them doing it like this

Leafs (road team WC) [probably to Chicago or NYR]
Leafs Heritage Classic [Montreal, obvi]

and Draft.

and the all star game & world cup o hockey in new york.

New York was never the historical HQ of the NHL though.
That was pretty recent.

cujoflutie

Bettman will celebrate the 100th year of the NHL by moving the hockey hall of fame to the united states.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see the all star game and winter classic made into the same event since there's no hitting in the all star game anyhow.

I've been to an NHL entry draft. People can criticize me all they want for saying this but it should be in Canada as much as possible and never in the southern US other than possibly Los Angeles. Why? Because most of the prospects drafted are from the CHL so it's an event that draws interest of both NHL teams/fans and CHL... and yes there are people who follow junior hockey but not the NHL.

Zaled

GO LEAFS GO
Dec 6, 2013
I think the World Cup is pushing it, but we may split host with Montreal or New York. Who knows.

The world cup is not really pushing it too much. There's actually a good chance we will also get the world cup. Whether it will be split or not, is something that I'm not sure about...but there were reports before this article that Toronto may be hosting it.

TSN reported before that it's likely to be a one-city event, as opposed to having the games spread across multiple venues, like in the past. However, if it does end up being a co-host, than i can see either New york or Montreal co-hosting it with us. If it's a one city event, than as stated above, there's a good chance we will get it, especially if we win this bid.

HEAVY DUTY

Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bettman will celebrate the 100th year of the NHL by moving the hockey hall of fame to the united states.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see the all star game and winter classic made into the same event since there's no hitting in the all star game anyhow.

I've been to an NHL entry draft. People can criticize me all they want for saying this but it should be in Canada as much as possible and never in the southern US other than possibly Los Angeles. Why? Because most of the prospects drafted are from the CHL so it's an event that draws interest of both NHL teams/fans and CHL... and yes there are people who follow junior hockey but not the NHL.

those people live a sad life.

Zaled

GO LEAFS GO
Dec 6, 2013
Over a long enough timeline almost everybody leaves their draft team or gets dumped by them.

Yes, that is true. However, Stamkos is still young and has lots of good years left in him. I can't see Tampabay wanting to dump him this early in his career. That would be really stupid. If Tampabay wants to sign him, I am certain that he will try to get a contract working with them.

The only times a star like Stamkos would leave, is if they are forced out via trade, or the management treated them very bad, that they may decide to sign somewhere else. I don't think Stamkos has been treated bad in Tampabay and I'm sure signing with them is his first priority.

anything can happen, but don't get your hopes to high because if you do, you'll be greatly disappointed if he decides to sign with his current team, and there is a very good chance that he does get a contract signed with them. If yzerman let a star like Stamkos walk away for nothing, that would be the worst thing that he could do and I don't see him allowing that to happen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel Toronto media reports on this every summer, when in reality it isn't a story. Most teams apply for things like this every summer

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Of all those I want the draft the most. I'll most likely go if its in Toronto. The All-Star game I have no interest in. I wont be able to afford Winter Classic tickets. Ditto for team Canada World Cup tickets.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would be at that draft 100%, maybe the ACC would actually be loud :naughty:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I like the draft. I was with a bunch of friends in ottawa at the Stamkos draft. Good time. We met Luke Schenn in the parking lot after the draft. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad