Post-Game Talk: TORONTO @ OTTAWA | That was uh... bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT Cor.. and to Budsfan for the updates.. :handclap:

I agree.. Put the tank on hold for another game.. and beat theses Sens like the Marlies won their game last night.. (9-2.., by the way..) :D

I'm posting one of my first match-ups for Leafs-Sens today, for four reasons:

- Just so everyone can take a look back and see how many changes we have had, in just three years.. :amazed:

- To give a final salute to Colton Orr.., as I believe he has now officially retired.. There's a fight from him, in here.. :yo:

- So everyone can listen to the announcer at the end of the game and his comments about a Leafs win streak.. (because we will be hearing this next season..) :nod:

..And finally.., because this is the first time I have been given the okay.. (after petitioning, awhile back) ..to finally have an Ozzy song allowed on one of my videos... , because this song really connects with the old "Leafs-Train" motif, that we put together in 2013, on the closed official site..

(..and now everyone is probably saying.., shut-up and just post the video, Seer..) :laugh: :sarcasm:

The Leaf-Train Cometh: Leafs vs Sens - TML 2013 Match Up /Tribute

GO LEAFS GO !!

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
So if the Leafs finish last place in the league, they only have a 20% chance of finishing with the 1st pick. Sure, that's better than the next team, but that's an 80% chance of NOT picking first overall.

So at this point in the season, why does it matter if they finish in dead last or 29th?

Beating your rival > finishing dead last.

30th vs 29th still matters. I'd rather have a 20% chance than 13ish% chance of getting 1st overall. With the odds being so low, you need any advantage you can get.

Having said that, I agree I always want the Leafs to beat certain teams. They have to win some games, so let's win the ones against these teams.

For me, must wins throughout the season:

Montreal
Ottawa
Detroit
Boston

AND (because their fans lose their **** when the Leafs beat them):

Vancouver
Winnipeg

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Mad Brills*

30th vs 29th still matters. I'd rather have a 20% chance than 13ish% chance of getting 1st overall. With the odds being so low, you need any advantage you can get.

Having said that, I agree I always want the Leafs to beat certain teams. They have to win some games, so let's win the ones against these teams.

For me, must wins throughout the season:

Montreal
Ottawa
Detroit
Boston

AND (because their fans lose their **** when the Leafs beat them):

Vancouver
Winnipeg

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Eh. I really only care about a guaranteed top5 pick.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So if the Leafs finish last place in the league, they only have a 20% chance of finishing with the 1st pick. Sure, that's better than the next team, but that's an 80% chance of NOT picking first overall.

So at this point in the season, why does it matter if they finish in dead last or 29th?

Okay, I'd rather have an 80% at NOT picking first, than having an 87% chance at NOT picking first.

Either way you spin it, it's better to finish last.

Besides, OTT can screw themselves and maybe slip into the dreaded 11-13th overall pick.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Marincin looks bloody terrible on the ice, I don't need advanced stats to tell me that.

On the whole, I'm not a huge fan of corsi, fenwick, and shot suppression/generation stats. They're often times misleading, and are taken as gospel by some over anything else. I trust what my eyes tell me, not what some stupid hero chart provides. And for the record, those same charts say Rielly is beyond awful defensively. Shot attempts against and goals against aren't even bottom pair calibre for Morgan.

Totally agree with this, i don't care about advanced stats....he fails the eye test miserably.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I doubt they look at him as a top pairing player. What they say right now is irrelevant.

Anyways, I hope Willy torches the Sens tonight. Tank can go on hold for another night.

I think the Leafs walk away with this game.

I'm expecting these guys to win easily.

Next year with Zaitsev, Marner, Laine and the healthy bodies back, playoffs should be a certainty.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

because it's not just about winning the lottery. and I really think a tonne of people are so focused on the lottery that they tend to forget that being 30th - means we also draft first in every single round. That is huge. And I think for all but.. what? one round we own our own pick - so that's drafting "first" overall in every round, getting first crack at all the fallers etc, give lou a bigger advantage if he wants to draft someone ("hey you can have our __1st pick!")

Beating Ottawa today - means nothing in the grand scheme of the whole picture for this season. What? So we get to go "Tralalallla, suck it Ottawa" today - but if it impacts our future - then I'm sorry. beating the rival doesn't trump that. I want my team to have the very best chance.

need I remind people who are all "hey - it's good beating Ottawa" - that this time last year we beat ottawa, and that was the game that moved us permanently ahead of Edmonton and how that impacted the final lottery standings?

If we were hands down secured in 30th - sure. why not. but we're not.

I hope Sosh, Valiev, Nylander, Hyman and company put on a show. I hope Rielly is impressive. I hope Sparks plays very well - but I'd like the best chances for my team to ultimately be Amazing down the road all things considering. Not a meaningless game in March.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Totally agree with this, i don't care about advanced stats....he fails the eye test miserably.

Dion had one of the best +/- on the Leafs last season...

What does that tell you about just looking at stats..? :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Look at worst case scenario.

Worst pick 4th. if they finish 30th.

If there is no difference between 4th.OA and 7th.OA, who cares, but if there is a drop off.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Congrats to Rinat, for the call up..!! :handclap:

I'm eager to see him put Phaneuf right through the boards.. :nod: :sarcasm:

Young Gun: Rinat Valiev 2014-15 Highlights - WHL & 2015 WJC

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It would mean something if the Leafs beat them if the Sens were closer to a playoff spot or actually in one. But they are not. It's not going to give me any satisfaction if the Leafs win.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I'd like to lose.

I've never been a proponent of tanking, but I am definitely a fan of getting a high pick, and I love the way the Leafs play loss or not. So, may as well lose.

I think we've proven ourselves to be superior to Ottawa this year (in direction and overall optimism surrounding the team). We'll be winning cups, Ottawa is forever in the bubble. And that's ok.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Marincin is brutal that's what I see. He can't move the puck to save his life. Any jabroni can block a shot and clear the puck on the PK

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What the..valiev is called up now? To replace who?

I can't keep up anymore :laugh:

Loov was called up but got injured in practice. Brennan was called up for the game against the Islanders but barely played and was sent back down.

Valiev was called up Thursday. I thought it was just precautionary for Loov but looks like he's out for longer than I thought.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Marincin. What? I can dream can't I??:laugh:

lol first pairing Marincin at that. Wonder what this team sees in him that he hasn't shown yet....I'm going to keep my eye on him through the entire night and see if these analytics people are right about him. He's going to get heavy minutes for sure.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nice GDT Cor. If leafs get Matthews, you're the Conn Smyth winner of the tank because it's going to get tougher with the young ones playing well now. I bet we win more games due to their infused skill in the lineup, so we are depending on your GDT more than usual. So, no pressure.

I look forward to seeing Valiev tonight. Hope Nylander and Hyman continue to shine.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I just realized Sparks is American. For some reason, I was under the impression he was from Eastern Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad