Proposal: Toronto/Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Edit: Reworking initial deal due to more or less unanimous thoughts of overvaluing from the Leafs side. I guess I overvalued Abruzzese and undervalued Primeau. Fair enough.

Despite the storied rivalry, the Leafs and Habs do have a trade history so I thought I'd have a little fun and see if we can come up with a deal that makes sense. I'm sure Montreal/Toronto fans will have some reservations, but I do ask that they refrain from too much animosity and suggest a counter offer if it's at all close.

The idea behind this trade is that the Leafs acquire the best player in the deal to ease the loss of Barrie and Ceci given a discount giving his pending UFA status. The Leafs also pick up two prospects in Brook and Primeau that fill two positions of need. This is also assuming the Leafs feel Robertson is ready to step in and replace Johnsson's production. Primeau is a great prospect who probably isn't going to replace Price given his current contract.

The Canadiens acquire a bounce back candidate who scored 20 goals in his last healthy season who would open them up to moving Domi for cap space/defense etc. They also gain a pmd in Dermott who's expendable given the Leafs depth on the left side. They also acquire a high upside RFA in Bracco who just can't seem to stick with the Leafs despite consistently being one of the top players on the Marlies roster.

Anyway... fire away... :ha::popcorn:

:habs
Travis Dermott
Andreas Johnsson
Penguins 1st 2020

:leafs
Jeff Petry
Josh Brook
Cayden Primeau
Montreal 2nd 2020

Last edited:

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
No way Montreal goes for that. Take Brook and Primeau out and even then i'm not sure.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I don't see how any of that moves the needle to move Petry. One of Montreal's strengths is defense down the right side, why would they move their best asset on the backend for no clear upgrade of their top 6. On top of that Primeau is the (hopefully) next starting netminder after Price is gone. I just don't see the quality coming from Toronto's side. Nothing personal.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
so we give up the best player in the deal and the best prospect in the deal for scraps...

great deal son.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Alright, I'll try and rework the initial deal to something thats a little more painful on the Leafs side. I apologize for any overvaluing of Abruzzese and undervaluing of Primeau that appears to have occurred.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This isn't salvageable for Montreal perspective.

1) They're already opened up to moving Domi, since they seem him as a center, not a winger.
2) I like Johnsson, but they don't have the Matthews/Marner/Tavares to help Johnsson and I don't buy Johnsson's goal scoring last year (15.3% shooting percentage).
3) They're trying to get bigger, and Johnsson ain't going to help with that.
4) Montreal's pretty comfortable with being able to re-up Petry.
5) Bracco and Abruzzese don't really have value to Montreal.
6) Montreal isn't moving Primeau alone unless it really makes sense to them.
7) Montreal is going to give Brook more time before just dumping him.

This proposal isn't even close to realistic.

EDIT: the revised proposal still isn't even close for Montreal.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Sorry OP, this one crashed and burned. Nothing in this deal from Toronto would entice the Habs to bite.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I still wouldn’t move Petry on his own for the reworked proposal, but it’s closer I guess.

Primeau isn’t available and Brook is a potential top 4. These are not throw in prospects.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That is really bad for MTL. Bergevin wants to contend right now trading Petry for no immediate upgrade is hence out of question

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Alright that’s fair, what do you think Montreal would want for just Petry and Brook?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Alright that’s fair, what do you think Montreal would want for just Petry and Brook?

There is almost no chance Montreal trades Petry and very little chance Montreal trades Brook, but Montreal needs are higher end goal scoring on the wings and a
top-4 PMD LHD.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

starts with Sandin - because there's nothing else we'd be interested in. Brook isn't going anywhere. we don't have that many RHD prospects

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I don’t see how both those players would be moved at the same time considering we’re sort of hoping Brook takes Petry’s place at some point down the line.

I’m not against moving Petry, but he’s not a cheap asset to acquire. He’s a top pairing RD and that comes at a price. I’d want a Pacioretty 2.0 type of trade, personally.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
There is almost no chance Montreal trades Petry and very little chance Montreal trades Brook, but Montreal needs are higher end goal scoring on the wings and a
top-4 PMD LHD.
I mean there's a chance if we can find a way to acquire Pietrangelo lol. The problem is, Pietrangelo would never come to us. He would, of course, go to the Leafs but not us.

People from Ontario are very patriotic about wanting to play for the Leafs, just like American players are very patriotic about wanting to play in the US. It's too bad the Habs don't entice any French Canadian players - none seem to ever want to play for us. :( We're patriotic about finding bilingual coaches, GMs... but when's the last time a French-Canadian came to us and said "I wanna play for the Habs?" Even players like Danault force their hand in order to stay with us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad