Proposal: Toronto - Montreal

DrTucker

Jan 29, 2015
Halifax
To Montreal:

Milan Michalek (50% retained)

To Toronto:

2017 2nd Round Pick (Washington's)

Gives Montreal that LW option they have been looking for, who already has chemistry with Plekanec (as shown in the World Cup) At $2 million MM should be a solid 15-20 goal scorer given a top 6 role, which is great value for Montreal.

Gives the Leafs an extra middle 6 forward spot to the Leafs young guys to work for. Michalek is a good veteran presence, but he won't be on the Leafs roster by the end of the year so I'd rather a young guy who will be on the roster get the development time.

The pick from Montreal could go to lower rounds, assuming the amount retained goes down as well.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
To Montreal:

Milan Michalek (50% retained)

To Toronto:

2017 2nd Round Pick (Washington's)

Gives Montreal that LW option they have been looking for, who already has chemistry with Plekanec (as shown in the World Cup) At $2 million MM should be a solid 15-20 goal scorer given a top 6 role, which is great value for Montreal.

Gives the Leafs an extra middle 6 forward spot to the Leafs young guys to work for. Michalek is a good veteran presence, but he won't be on the Leafs roster by the end of the year so I'd rather a young guy who will be on the roster get the development time.

The pick from Montreal could go to lower rounds, assuming the amount retained goes down as well.

You should be giving us the 2nd for taking Michalek. No thanks.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
I have no problem moving Michalek and would do this trade in a heartbeat as a leafs fan, however Montreal's not going to take it. There's too much at risk for them to offer up a 2nd for Michalek.

When and if Michalek gets traded it'll be at the deadline with him healthy and producing offensively. If we're lucky we won't have to retain and there won't be conditions attached to the pick saying he has to play playoff games.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Michalek has a role on this version of the Leafs as a vet compliment to the top-9. If he's healthy, play him next to Matthews and Nylander this year up until the deadline and this proposal is probably an accurate reflection of what he'd garner at the deadline.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
I think Michalek has a role on this version of the Leafs as a vet compliment to the top-9. If he's healthy, play him next to Matthews and Nylander this year up until the deadline and this proposal is probably an accurate reflection of what he'd garner at the deadline.

Essentially this. The rookies are going to need NHLer's to pass the puck to and Michalek is still that, an NHLer capable of 30-40 points.

DrTucker

Jan 29, 2015
Halifax
Even at 50% retained Michalek isn't worth a 2nd.

So then what? a 4th? a 5th?

Just feel as if Michalek would be more beneficial to a team like Montreal than he would be Toronto. I know Montreal is looking for capable LW, and when moving an asset like MM Toronto may as well maximize it's return and retain for the year.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
So then what? a 4th? a 5th?

Just feel as if Michalek would be more beneficial to a team like Montreal than he would be Toronto. I know Montreal is looking for capable LW, and when moving an asset like MM Toronto may as well maximize it's return and retain for the year.

Yeah a 4th or 5th is more like it.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Michalek, opens up a spot for a better/younger player. But I doubt it happens until the deadline. Might be able to get more for him then if he can stay healthy and put up some decent numbers this season. If he plays alongside Matthews and Nylander he should rack up some points.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the 2nd should be coming from you guys, we're not gonna take on a terrible player.

a 2nd to give away a guy at 2million?

worse than the OP.

We will happily send Michalek to a team retained for a 3rd at the deadline after he helps the kids along for 50-60 games

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Michalek at 50% if worth a 3rd at most from a team that really wants him or a 4th.

Leafs should just keep him. Good vet for the kids.

He doesn't do much for Montreal, so no deal.

Coming Home

Tic-tic-tic
May 26, 2016
TN, USA
My bad !! I thought the cap hit for MM was $2MM, but it's actually $4MM. It would have cost MTL less to send MM down to the AHL.
I retract my offer.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The Habs would be wise to start with a kid in the top-9 (Hudon, Carr, Andrighetto, McCarron or Lehkonen) and potentially rotate players until they find one that clicks. The kids could use the experience.

If Bergevin thinks they need to upgrade the top-9 still, a move could be made at Christmas or at the deadline when we have more cap space. Hopefully, he'll be able to find a better scorer than Michalek.

With Radulov, Patch, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Plekanec, Desharnais, Shaw and Danault we already have 8 out 9 of forwards and we have a bunch of kids knocking at the door. No need for MM. He's not good enough.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
No idea why habs do this. Milan will be moved at the deadline for scraps/ whatever we can get. Maybe a 3 rd or 4 th or middling /project prospect. That's if he makes it there in one piece , given the injury history thats no given

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The classic "I don't like the OP so I'm going to reply with a worse proposal" reply. :rolleyes:

No Michalek is just trash.. so having him on our roster would be bad.

Why would we trade for a bum when we have guys like Lehkonen, Hudon, Reway who are pushing for a roster spot? Think your proposals over in the future and don't try to justify pawning off a worthless player.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Milachek has skill, not a Therrien guy at all, better chance to trade Liach at 50% retained. Montreal privileges plugs.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
No Michalek is just trash.. so having him on our roster would be bad.

Why would we trade for a bum when we have guys like Lehkonen, Hudon, Reway who are pushing for a roster spot? Think your proposals over in the future and don't try to justify pawning off a worthless player.

Uhhh I didn't make the proposal. In fact I said it was bad for Montreal. Try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad