The Star: Toronto Marlies coach search begins

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Nothing wrong with turning one of the assistants to the head coach.

Not as sexy of a move as some people here are begging for, but remember Eakins was an assistant coach with the organization before becoming the head coach of the Marlies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nothing wrong with turning one of the assistants to the head coach.

Not as sexy of a move as some people here are begging for, but remember Eakins was an assistant coach with the organization before becoming the head coach of the Marlies.

so, scott gordon or greg cronin? ;)

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Weren't some Leafs fans upset at him for not playing Morgan Rielly enough at the World Juniors? So when and if Rielly does play more for the Marlies, would they have a good enough relationship.

Good point, I forgot about that.

But to be fair, Rielly was a younger player on a team with Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington, Oullet and Reinhart. And he got powerplay time.

Nyax

Oct 2, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'd like to see Guy Boucher, if he doesn't get an NHL gig. He had great success with Hamilton. Paul Maurice would also be a good choice as well if Eakins doesn't bring him on board in Edmonton. Glen Gulutzan would be another option. MLSE has the resources to hire a name guy. The Marlies should always have one of the premier coaches in the AHL.

dr dangles

Sep 10, 2011
I'd also pass on Gilmour (as much as it kills me to deny Dougie any position on the Leafs).

Steve Spott would be fantastic.

Keith Allain would be an extremely smart and "under the radar" pick, he just won the frozen four and has had some olympic and nhl experience, would be a great pick considering the amount of young prospects on the team.

Keith Allain would be an outstanding candidate. Smart. Experienced coach at almost every level. Impressive results. Good character. Solid suggestion, IronSing!*

I read this a little while back, definitely worth a look:
http://www.connecticutmag.com/Connecticut-Magazine/January-2012/Success-Stories-Goal-Oriented/

"I want to be the kind of coach that gives my players what they need at the right time. I think a big part of our job is to wear the face that they need to see. If they need calmness, I’m calm; if they need excitement, I can be excitable.â€

Last edited:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
images

jro

Apr 9, 2012
I wonder if Dale Hunter would be interested?

Hunter makes more money in the OHL than any coach in the NHL. He'd be stupid to leave that on the table. I would look to get Dale Hawerchuk, but unfortunately he just signed a 3 year extension.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
:facepalm:

That is me whenever someone mentions Gilmour as a coach. He was a pretty bad coach in junior, the ultimate player development league and the place where he could command instant respect from players just by his name and accolades alone. If he was bad there, what makes you think he'll be any better at the pro level? At least Hunter and Roy had success at the junior level. Dougie is more of a GM type anyways.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hunter makes more money in the OHL than any coach in the NHL. He'd be stupid to leave that on the table. I would look to get Dale Hawerchuk, but unfortunately he just signed a 3 year extension.

if he makes more money in the OHL than any other coach in the NHL and the leafs want him, you don't think the Leafs would offer a bit more?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Doubt it. How much does he make?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
if he makes more money in the OHL than any other coach in the NHL and the leafs want him, you don't think the Leafs would offer a bit more?

Keep in mind Hunter is co-owner, president and head coach of the London Knights.

So he has his finger in every pot of that organization.. He tried his hand at NHL coaching and decided to return to his post in the OHL.

Money is not his only motivating factor here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Hockey_League

jro

Apr 9, 2012

As much as I would like to see the Leafs use their financial muscle to get a star coach like Hunter, I don't think we need to. If I'm not mistaken, Hunter is at least a 50 percent owner of the Knights, probably the most valuable franchise in the OHL. He's probably making upwards of 5mm just from that team. AV just got 2mm a year to coach the Rangers. If I was Hunter, it would be a no brainer to stay where I'm at.

Plus, you would think if he really wanted to coach at the pro level there would be a job for him in the NHL- assuming he's not just thinking about the money. I just don't see a fit here, but of course this is all my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00