The Star: Toronto Marlies coach search begins

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...omarov_exits_marlies_coach_search_begins.html

On the Marlies front, the interview process to replace Eakins, new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers, has yet to begin. But Marlies GM Dave Poulin has begun the search and reportedly received as many as 20 resumes.

Poulin said by email Wednesday that he’d had brief conversations with Marlies assistants Gord Dineen and Derek King, who hopes to have a formal interview as early as next week.

“There’s some big shoes to fill there with Dallas leaving — and good for him, it’s well deserved — but sure, why wouldn’t you want to take over,†said King, part of a Marlies staff that has developed several players now with the Maple Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good to know that Dineen and King are interested in the position. Could be a really easy transition from Eakins to either one of them.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Going from assistant coach to head coach of the same team replacing the departing head coach never turns out good

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Going from assistant coach to head coach of the same team replacing the departing head coach never turns out good

Example?

I don't think that it's often a Coach leaves a Team without being fired.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I really hope we hire someone else. I would actually like to see Steve Staois, Doug Gilmour, Gary Roberts (doubtful) or someone like that as their coach.

wulfio*

I really hope we hire someone else. I would actually like to see Steve Staois, Doug Gilmour, Gary Roberts (doubtful) or someone like that as their coach.

why? what have these guys done to make you want them as a coach?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Plenty of assistant coaches have been able to transition to head coach very well. I'm not sure which example you are thinking of but saying it never turns out good is pretty much wrong.

Dineen has a good amount of coaching experience under his belt. He was head coach of the Iowa Chops in 2008 and also of a few ECHL teams prior to that. He's been also an assistant coach of other AHL teams like Springfield and Utah.

I think he's the favorite right now with King a close 2nd. We might see a Junior coach take over but I doubt it considering we have 2 all ready familiar with the players and system, which has been really good lately.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On paper Dineen or King would make sense because they have already worked with a lot of the Marlies.

Now I would like to see Doug Gilmour get the job, however not sure if he is interested in it or wants to leave Kingston.

MRB

Jul 6, 2012
I have season tickets for the Kingston Fronts and trust me Dougie is a much better GM than a coach. I would not want him coaching the Fronts again let alone the Marlies.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Plenty of assistant coaches have been able to transition to head coach very well. I'm not sure which example you are thinking of but saying it never turns out good is pretty much wrong.

Dineen has a good amount of coaching experience under his belt. He was head coach of the Iowa Chops in 2008 and also of a few ECHL teams prior to that. He's been also an assistant coach of other AHL teams like Springfield and Utah.

I think he's the favorite right now with King a close 2nd. We might see a Junior coach take over but I doubt it considering we have 2 all ready familiar with the players and system, which has been really good lately.

Lewis in Detroit didn't work out very well, but yeah, I don' know of any other examples.

Dale Hunter would be great, just don't see it happening.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
No Dougie thankyou. Staios's name is out there because he was brought in by Burke as 'Executive Talent' & could effectively take a similar development path as Eakins but this job has imo come too soon for him.

IF Kinger or Dineen were to take the reigns for a year possibly two to transition, I could see a Staios appointment ultimately happening.

The problem w/ either ass't, especially Kinger is that they were the 'nice' foil to Eakins' often brute & honest assessments which is I guess an effective tool in the coaching toolbox.

Would be hard for either coach to suddenly become dragon-like after years of being 'nice'.

Don't players just tune that out when they get hip to the act?

Who knows, Dallas may yet request their presence in Oil country.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
cory clouston anyone?

i think he deserves another chance in the nhl, so why not go through our ahl system first?

EDIT: maybe ralph krueger?

Last edited:

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I'd also pass on Gilmour (as much as it kills me to deny Dougie any position on the Leafs).

Steve Spott would be fantastic.

Keith Allain would be an extremely smart and "under the radar" pick, he just won the frozen four and has had some olympic and nhl experience, would be a great pick considering the amount of young prospects on the team.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
It'd be a big jump so maybe not right away but Phil Housley could be interesting. Did pretty well with the American World JR team and is seen as kind of an up and comer. Not sure if hes still coaching high school in MN or not though

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It'd be a big jump so maybe not right away but Phil Housley could be interesting. Did pretty well with the American World JR team and is seen as kind of an up and comer. Not sure if hes still coaching high school in MN or not though
A few weeks ago he was named an Assistant Coach in Nashville, so cross his name off the list.

wulfio*

Weren't some Leafs fans upset at him for not playing Morgan Rielly enough at the World Juniors? So when and if Rielly does play more for the Marlies, would they have a good enough relationship.

why would the feelings of a couple arm chair GM's that played house league matter to the relationship between a professional coach and hockey player?

do lupul and carlyle have a problem?

Everyone has to pay their dues.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
why would the feelings of a couple arm chair GM's that played house league matter to the relationship between a professional coach and hockey player?

do lupul and carlyle have a problem?

Everyone has to pay their dues.
The problem is that I thought Rielly was playing better then some of their other Defensman and still didn't enough ice time. Maybe it had to do with it being his first World Juniors, however I remember others thought Spott was incorrect with the minutes Rielly did play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00