GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres Preseason Game #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's also a mess without the puck and doesn't offer much else. Probably why he only played 25 games and didn't step foot on the ice for over a month until the last couple games of the season and didn't play a single playoff game
That's not true at all.

Being 7th on the depth chart doesn't automatically mean you're horrible, it just means there are 6 guys ahead of you.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He's also a mess without the puck and doesn't offer much else. Probably why he only played 25 games and didn't step foot on the ice for over a month until the last couple games of the season and didn't play a single playoff game
You need to understand too than timmins had huge health issues over the past. Hes only played a total of 196 game since his draft. Thats including ohl/ AHL/ NHL/ WJC both regular season+ playoff...

Hes at 25 but with experience of a 21-22 dman

Reactions: kb

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

It's not like players can't learn how to play defence, you cant teach players how to drive offence or hockey IQ. Lilly was also scratched in the playoffs only playing 5 games, he played out of necessity, not on merit. End of the day we are talking about two #6 dmen.

Timmins only played 25 games mostly because he's been injured for the better part of the previous year, it takes time to get up to speed and the team didn't have the luxury of letting a bottom d-man find his game. Timmins is 21 lbs heavier this year vs last, he had the benefit of a healthy offseason training for the first time in a year. That is not an insignificant fact.

In the end I dont care who they keep but your criticisms of Timmins are short sighted. Neither player will be the difference between the cup and not the cup. For the lack of difference they have between each other, one is better with the puck one is better without the puck, Lilliy makes $300k more, that may be a factor in who gets a roster spot, every dollar counts.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Timmins needs to produce to play. He doesn't defend well and doesn't PK. It's good he's playing well, as it makes the Leafs decisions tougher to waive or not, but it doesn't make up for what the team thought of him last season.
Also the debate between him and Liljegren doesn't make sense. Liljegren is on the PK, and main job is provide transitional play, be good defensively and some offense. Points isn't going to be the seperator.
Not that pre season letters matter, but thats now 2 pre season games Liljegren has wore the A, so he's going to be an important member for the team.
If Klingberg is out to start the year, Timmins is playing opening night so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 13pacheco31

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Just watched the highlights from last night, Timmins seems like he had a fantastic game, Robertson was also noticeable. And most of all Knies looks like he is going to have an amazing year building on the playoffs last season. Of course that's from highlights, going to look now for a recap from someone who actually watched the game.

Reactions: Sypher04

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Timmins at least can score and provide offense.

This team has far too often been fond of icing defensemen terrible at both ends of the ice.
Yep, on a defense that struggles to provide offence he's a must keep.

Bit disappointed in Lilijgren, looks like his progression has stalled. Really thought he be locked in the top 4 at this point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd be cautious at coming to conclusions good, or bad from a few preseason games. It's nice some players look good, but it's not against regular season squads... and it's early days, they are working on some rust and going to make mistakes too. It's a warmup for the regular season for most players, and a tryout for those bubble players who will be putting in far more effort to impress.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yep, on a defense that struggles to provide offence he's a must keep.

Bit disappointed in Lilijgren, looks like his progression has stalled. Really thought he be locked in the top 4 at this point.
Lilijgren's advanced stats looked admirable last time I checked. Does the most important things well.
Why are folks so down on him -- does he not pass the eye test?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'd be cautious at coming to conclusions good, or bad from a few preseason games. It's nice some players look good, but it's not against regular season squads... and it's early days, they are working on some rust and going to make mistakes too. It's a warmup for the regular season for most players, and a tryout for those bubble players who will be putting in far more effort to impress.

This is fair but everyone on the roster in that game is competing against the same watered down opponent, so "in game" you can fairly assess players performance vs their peers for that game.

Lilijgren's advanced stats looked admirable last time I checked. Does the most important things well.
Why are folks so down on him -- does he not pass the eye test?

Lilly's Corsi and Fenwick are not great compared to other regulars but that may have more to do with how he is deployed vs his actual skills as a pro player. From a possession metric stand point , Timmins is far better than Lilly, again deployment might be the reason why.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Lilly's Corsi and Fenwick are not great compared to other regulars but that may have more to do with how he is deployed vs his actual skills as a pro player. From a possession metric stand point , Timmins is far better than Lilly, again deployment might be the reason why.
I mean his WAR and such -- he looks better than most guys on most teams in a lot of ways:

1695910224326.png

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Klingberg looks to be in the early lead for fanbase goat.
I get it in a way but have I been the only one who absolutely hates McCabe's game?

The guy was on a loser team (Buffalo), went to another loser team (Chicago), and now all of a sudden he's penciled into the top 4 on a team with cup aspirations?

McCabe has been a tire fire from his first game here, handled the puck like a grenade during the playoffs, but everyone wants to pile on Klingberg in a pre-season game

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lily Timmer Domi and Laferty looked very good last night .. omg i did not realize exactly how fast Laferty was until i saw him blow bye 2 Sabres D and Knies in about 4 strides .. wow we need that speed .. Domi is solid .. Lily and Timmer can both play in nhl now .. thank god we have 5 D now with Rielly McCabe and Brodie

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I get it in a way but have I been the only one who absolutely hates McCabe's game?

The guy was on a loser team (Buffalo), went to another loser team (Chicago), and now all of a sudden he's penciled into the top 4 on a team with cup aspirations?

McCabe has been a tire fire from his first game here, handled the puck like a grenade during the playoffs, but everyone wants to pile on Klingberg in a pre-season game
McCabe plays a risky game, he plays awesome for stretches then had a succession of brain farts. If he is playing a safe game he is very effective, when he tries to be a hero he puts himself in bad situations.

Lily Timmer Domi and Laferty looked very good last night .. omg i did not realize exactly how fast Laferty was until i saw him blow bye 2 Sabres D and Knies in about 4 strides .. wow we need that speed .. Domi is solid .. Lily and Timmer can both play in nhl now .. thank god we have 5 D now with Rielly McCabe and Brodie

I was thinking about a fast line, Domi - Lafferty and mystery guy #3 , make them the forechecking possession cycle line, not many teams would have a line that fast.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
So many bad takes in this thread lol
I agree with you on that, for the most part.

But we have had months and months since the last game that meant anything to the team, any on-ice action gives us something to talk about.

Sometimes its just that we take too much out of a preseason game, good or bad. Once the playoffs start, its easy to look back at the regular season before it and to think how little the regular season mattered to the playoffs. Once the regular season starts it is easy to see how little of a fraction the preseason really mattered to even the regular season. Wanting success in the playoffs, these games hardly matter at all to what we are going to see next spring. But again, its better to talk about them than to talk about nothing at all.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People are going to laugh, but Timmins could have made a difference in that Florida series...

All those one goal losses and none of our backend could make a play minus Rielly.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

No, you're not wrong. I don't think he's terrible but I'd say he's not much more than a number 5 at best

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Robertson is a player

BUT

He absolutely must settle down his game when the puck is around his stick.

He's definitely gripping the stick too hard and flubbing chances that a shooter like him shouldn't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Scoring stats don’t necessarily mean that much for a defenseman and scoring pace means even less…

However, Timmins scored at a 46 point pace where the second leading scorer on the blueline was Mark Giordano in the mid 20s. It’s comparable offense to a forward like, say, Calle Jarnkrok. So there’s enough of a unique anomaly factor where you have to consider his offensive contribution might be something to tap into or give some more evaluation time.

Second, the cap management angle is a complete joke. You’re saving what. Less than $400K if you replaced him with a league min. defenseman somewhere down the road? This guy is the definition of a Moneypuck candidate and we’re nitpicking his shortcomings. If he didn’t come with flaws his potential production would put him in a much higher income bracket.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Robertson is a player

BUT

He absolutely must settle down his game when the puck is around his stick.

He's definitely gripping the stick too hard and flubbing chances that a shooter like him shouldn't.

He has no chill.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It feels like his patience with the puck and overall calmness under pressure can be a problem sometimes.

He seemed to have figured it out early in 2022 but last season was more ups and downs.
Maybe, but a lot of the issues i see arent pressure related. Theyre just screw ups on basic plays. Its one thing under a heavy forecheck, its another missing a dump while both teams are changing

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Timmins at least can score and provide offense.

This team has far too often been fond of icing defensemen terrible at both ends of the ice.

This isn't true at all.

And our defensive game has gotten way worse this year, not sure we should be inserting Timmins unless it is for Klingberg.

If people want to try to win games 6-5, that is fine, but I'd like to have a couple of defensive players in the lineup that can stop the other team from scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad