GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres Preseason Game #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Seems like every game there'll be at least 1 line to try out, looking for chemistry. That and getting Klingberg minutes to feel the puck and the goalie tryouts

Reactions: banks

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Haven't been able to catch a preseason game, but glad to hear Cowan looks good. Hope Klingberg gets plenty of ice and an opportunity to adjust.

Reactions: LDN

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Domi - Tavares - Lafferty
Knies - Holmberg - Cowan
Robertson - Minten - Gregor
Steeves - Hirvonen - Ellis
Clifford

Mccabe - Klingberg
Lajoie - Liljegren
Lagesson - Timmins
Pietroniro

Hildeby
Jones

--------------------------------

Keys to this game:

1. Lots of Youth... Can Robertson build off his play? Can Cowan continue to impress? Will Knies show dominance? Will Minten continue to show he's a viable option down the middle? Will Holmberg build off of last year's play? Can Steeves/Ellis make an impression with their speed?
  2. Battle of L4 - I've liked gregor, and I don't think Lafferty's spot is guaranteed. Will both showcase they belong?
  3. Battle of the #7d - Important game for Lagesson/Timmins/Lajoie.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I was looking forward to this game until I saw the 2 lineups-neither team is playing their stars.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Surprised Sammy isn't getting into a game yet

I do worry about his conditioning and ability to stay healthy, and seems like the Leafs do too. They really need to test goaltenders like Hildeby and Petruzzelli (who was pretty good in the first game), because if Samsonov can't stay in the lineup, they need a good back-up plan.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Surprised Sammy isn't getting into a game yet
Advantage/Disadvantage to such a long pre-season schedule for us aha

I assume he'll play the full game Friday or Saturday in Montreal, with Woll/Jones splitting the other.

He probably plays at least half, if not the full game Monday (2nd) in Toronto, and then likely plays the full game the following Saturday against Detroit (7th), with I assume Woll getting the full game the Thursday (5th)

Where is McMann?

Working his way back from an injury. He's been skating in camp/practice. I think Keefe said he'll likely be able to play some of the later pre-season games

Reactions: shaner8989

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
This is exactly the kind of roster I want to see early in pre-season. Youth and guys on the bubble need to be given the chance to do something. Keep it to a few regulars only.

The goalie situation is really interesting to me. I hope each guy gets one period.

Reactions: horner

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
RE: Samsonov I just think it is related to sports science. I think they are expecting Sammy to start as close to 50 games as possible this year. Similar to Tavares, I think they are letting him get reps in practice but waiting to ramp up the work load a while longer. He likely doesn't need more than 2 games to feel the puck during games and get back into it. Why start him 5 games that don't matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad