News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs rebuild takes a bite out of Rogers’ bottom line

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I hate how Rogers and Bell blatantly exploit Canadians with the cell, internet, tv prices. I cut the cord last fall and just cannot see myself reconnecting until the CRTC actually does something right, but that's very doubtful. I love that Rogers is losing money.

Between the terrible pre-game/intermission yelling match and stupid jokes I barely watch any off ice commentary. Love Elliot Friedman, and don't mind Kyper, but the rest are just bad..

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Biggest challenge I have with cutting the cord is live sports.

I won't go to illegal streams.

I know there are Center Ice packages but live golf or other events outside of the NFL, NBA and NHL would be gone.

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, not sure why they hired him... he tries to hard to be a smart interviewer... yer interviewing athletes..no need to treat them like they are Neil Degrasse Tyson and they have something earthshaking to say...

I'll be honest, the only things i've ever seen strombo host is Much Music, the Drafts, and maybe 2 HNIC since he took over, (No cable is the way to go guys). He seemed like an odd choice to take over HNIC, sounds like he's not living up to expectations.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
How does Gamecenter factor into Rogers' ratings? There's about 20 of us that I know of in my friends/family/extended that use gamecenter accounts/vpns since noone has cable anymore and as far as I know CBC got rid of their analog. Does Rogers get credit for those ratings?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I refuse to watch HNIC because of Healy, guy is the worst of any commentator.

Get rid of Glenn Healy, Nick Kypreos, Bob Cole, Jim Hughson, and Craig Simpson.

Joe Bowen to do every Leaf game.

Actually don't mind Strombo.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Good they deserve it, they way over saturated the market with their hockey coverage, I don’t need 5 games on at the same time or I would have bought the NHL Centre Ice. What I love about this is that they’ve invested so much in hockey it’s all they have left and TSN really cleaned up. They lost soccer, UFC, basketball, F1, everything. I get so much more variety of sports coverage on TSN’s 5 feeds while Rogers keeps playing games that no one cares about. Serves them right. It has nothing to do with the Leafs playing poorly because they been poor for the last 10 years.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
'News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs rebuild takes a bite out of Rogers’ bottom line'...

Cry me a river!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I refuse to watch HNIC because of Healy, guy is the worst of any commentator.

Get rid of Glenn Healy, Nick Kypreos, Bob Cole, Jim Hughson, and Craig Simpson.

Joe Bowen to do every Leaf game.

Actually don't mind Strombo.

Just get rid of Healy. The rest are fine.

Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson should do Pacific games.

Bob Cole should do the occasional Leafs game. Joe Bowen or Chris Cuthbert on most Leaf games.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
bell/rogers should be sucking on our toe jam

for takeing this rebuild and 12 straight years of garbage product so well

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Biggest challenge I have with cutting the cord is live sports.

I won't go to illegal streams.

I know there are Center Ice packages but live golf or other events outside of the NFL, NBA and NHL would be gone.

Twitter is coming and they will be a player in major sports content in years to come. They bought NFL rights for Thursday nights, more to come I'm sure.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
bell/rogers should be sucking on our toe jam

for takeing this rebuild and 12 straight years of garbage product so well

A little fact that might be of interest:

Bell/Rogers bought MLSE in the summer of 2012

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Twitter is coming and they will be a player in major sports content in years to come. They bought NFL rights for Thursday nights, more to come I'm sure.

True but not there yet.

If I have to see a g damn Twitter feed at the bottom of my sports, I'm done with watching sports for good.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How are ratings determined?

Myself, I PVR any game I want to watch and only watch the game, no intermission or commercials.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
It really blows the mind. Canada is the home of Hockey and Rogers have somehow managed to fill their entire broadcast (besides Friedman) of unlikable people.

How do they pay so much money for NHL rights and not make sure they get THE BEST broadcasting crew? You're telling me that in all of Canada, this is the best they could find?

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
This, ladies and gentlemen, is a tweet by an affiliate of NHL's right holders in Canada:

Edit: Or does he pull a Crawford? :naughty:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
The funny part to me is outside of Strombo it's pretty much the same people we seen used under the last TV deals.

Cordcutting and the games being near unwatchable if you don't have a rooting interested are the biggest reasons for decline.

Personally speaking I used to find the sportsnet crew tolerable because it wasn't all the time. They weren't good then either, but you only had to deal with them say once a week.

But now that it's almost always them it's just completely unbearable.

buttman*

Looks like Rogers bought into the NHL at exactly the wrong time....

"Over a 30-week period, ratings for the early game on Hockey Night in Canada are down 18 per cent for the season. Later games out west are down 19 per cent on average.

On Sundays, where competition includes powerful U.S. cable draws such as The Walking Dead, event programming like the Super Bowl and Oscars as well as binge viewing on Netflix, Rogers’ own data shows Hometown Hockey ratings are down 34 per cent season-to-season.

Bottom line: for the Rogers deal to work, the Leafs must win."

or are they in at the wrong time ?...

Asked if he would still make the blockbuster NHL rights deal today, Moore said: “In a heartbeat. In an absolute heartbeat.â€

It's interesting he suggests a company like Twitter might be a competitor for rights when this deal expires.

Good article...

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...ebuild-takes-a-bite-out-of-rogers-bottom-line

This is ********. The rebuild had nothing to do with this. It's the fact they didn't start the rebuild 10 years ago and had to endure all those years of crap. This started a couple years ago because the rebuild didn't.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Rogers has no one to blame but their Sportsnet production crew for putting together a lame product, and I'm not referring to the quality of hockey.

It's not too late to bring back the old format with Ron Maclean as the host, but that's unlikely to happen. I'm afraid we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Another thing, Rogers completely misread the market. Canadians are very traditional when it comes to hockey, and someone in the organization should have known that revamping the entire format would not be well received by the majority of fans that grew up watching HNIC on CBC.

This has nothing to do with the Leafs or the quality of the NHL product on the ice. Of course ratings will increase as the Leafs improve, but that is only because fans have no other alternative on cable.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
A) This is a surprise?

B) Tough tamales. I watched every game and endured all of your commercials, Rogers. Little sympathy.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The change in intermission participants has nothing to do with declining ratings.

If memory serves me TSN is down for their Leafs broadcasts as well.

Like anything, it's a combination of factors. The Leafs being terrible doesn't help, people cutting cords is an issue, younger people choosing other sports on TV is a factor, I'm sure there are others.

It's hard to imagine 20% off the viewers were watching HNIC just to see Ron do throws to commercials between periods.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad