News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan glad team stayed away from pricey free

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that we signed Clarkson to an albatross contract.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland all walked for nothing.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan enjoys watching a team consistently hold a playoff spot just past the deadline, and then fritter it away with end-of-season collapses. It's kind of difficult to sell pending UFAs like Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland if you are comfortably in a playoff spot. And it's quite difficult to predict that after the trade deadline, that comfortable playoff spot will evaporate into nothing. Seems like the Leafs have a knack for doing this though.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan likes what he's seen of "Leaf fan patience".

:)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If this minor tweaking to the depth of the roster doesn't have a positive effect on team results and a playoff spot, he is going to hear it in the media and the fan base for his "patience". ;)

However another unintentional tanking and top draft pick is not going to bother all Leaf fans if that happens.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Just ask the Rangers who year in and year out go for the biggest and the best only to find out they’re the biggest busts. Brad Richards?

That bust who just played in the finals?
The Rangers make the playoffs almost every year that way.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
That bust who just played in the finals?
The Rangers make the playoffs almost every year that way.
lol

Brett Lebda won a cup etc.

Gomez, Drury, Richards... all of their headline grabbing signings end up being their biggest mistakes

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that we signed Clarkson to an albatross contract.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland all walked for nothing.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan enjoys watching a team consistently hold a playoff spot just past the deadline, and then fritter it away with end-of-season collapses. It's kind of difficult to sell pending UFAs like Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland if you are comfortably in a playoff spot. And it's quite difficult to predict that after the trade deadline, that comfortable playoff spot will evaporate into nothing. Seems like the Leafs have a knack for doing this though.

You weren't by chance one of those fans that was pissed @ Burke for not landing Brad Richards were you?

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
lol

Gomez, Drury, Richards... all of their headline grabbing signings end up being their biggest mistakes

Gomez got them McD and Richards was 3 years a top 6 center for them where they made the confernce finals and stanley cup finals.
I'm sure rangers fans feel terrible about that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This summer's transactions have a chance to work out very well or very badly for Shanahan.

The replacement players come in with lots of question marks and uncertainty and/or limited NHL experience and some injury concerns.

Its going to be a role of the dice situation that is hard to predict the cause and effect on the roster and if it will work as the management intended it to.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Intended to do?

Get help for Gardiner and Reilly while they develop, create competetion on the blueline, get support for Phaneuff and help frame some of our players for the big trade deadline unload because we wont make the playoffs. These have been at best marginal improvements and I doubt Bernier will play as well as he did last year. Why spend when you can't win anyway? We may even lose on the Gunner trade, Bolland left, Kulemin left and so did McClemment.8th last and a few small sideways moves means if Bernier falters or gets injured we should be a couple of spots below that. It will take some time to redesign this Frankenstein of a team.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Strange since they didn't "stay away", they simply got outbid.
Yeah, kind of the key point here. He can spin it as staying away from the pricey free agents. But in reality he tried to overspend by a stupid amount on Bolland. Only failing because Florida was even more insane and Bolland was purely chasing that tax free cash. Doesn't show this management as being any more intelligent than it was before he got here.

Tyler Biggs*

About time someone with a clear vision for this team, why develop players in the minors and not use them? These kids will become better players once they have the taste of playing in the NHL, Ottawa does it, Detroit has been doing it for years, why not the Leafs? Great job so far Shanny!

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
The ufa contracts the Leafs signed aren't back breakers, heck, even pulling up on an insane offer to Bolland can be counted as somewhat of a positive too. Gambling on some low risk one year deals is fine and the Leafs have cap space. Not a knockout but I'd say a win overall.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Who cares what he thinks, as long as he understands that we need fixing and he takes the steps to start fixing the team, then everything will be fine.

The only positive I can see thus far is we did not sign a huge contract this summer but did over pay Komarov he is not worth almost 3M per.

Comparable contracts this year:
Jamie McGinn
Andrew Cogliano
Mathieu Perreault

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
He's glad? I thought final decisions go through him? So he's glad he didn't have a Nonis moment and approved a similar Clarkson-albatross-like contract?

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Who cares what he thinks, as long as he understands that we need fixing and he takes the steps to start fixing the team, then everything will be fine.

The only positive I can see thus far is we did not sign a huge contract this summer but did over pay Komarov he is not worth almost 3M per.

Comparable contracts this year:
Jamie McGinn
Andrew Cogliano
Mathieu Perreault

Well, when Boyd Gordon got 3 last year it signaled a turn for the lower rank free agents. By definition you're paying a premium for their services and that premium is only going to go up with the increase in the cap ceiling and team needs. Komarov might be a leetle rich now but should be right in line by as early as the next cap increase.

I'd love to know what other teams offered him.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009

There is no sense getting into playoffs by the skin of our teeth and losing. Those players were not good enough to win us a cup. I would rather miss playoffs and get a good pick, then be a mediocre, middle of the pack. Look at teams like LA and CHI, they have such a good core, that so many pieces are interchangeable and replaceable and they can still compete. The only way we will ever get there is through drafting, trading for young players, and development.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Shanahan is in the perfect situation. Win or lose he will still be able to let everyone know what the focus will be depending on the outcome next year. Should the Leafs get into the playoffs then the shrewd signings and trades will look good.

Should the Leafs falter and become another bottom ten team, and then Shanahan can simply say this was a transition year and the Leafs will look to build through the draft with the higher draft pick.

Either way, it will work out as the new guy on the block is going to be given leeway for at least two years to see how he puts his stamp on the team. No one can fault Shanahan when he just got on the job and has the option to fire Nonis and/or Carlyle to have a fresh clean slate next year.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Shanahan is in the perfect situation. Win or lose he will still be able to let everyone know what the focus will be depending on the outcome next year. Should the Leafs get into the playoffs then the shrewd signings and trades will look good.

Should the Leafs falter and become another bottom ten team, and then Shanahan can simply say this was a transition year and the Leafs will look to build through the draft with the higher draft pick.

Either way, it will work out as the new guy on the block is going to be given leeway for at least two years to see how he puts his stamp on the team. No one can fault Shanahan when he just got on the job and has the option to fire Nonis and/or Carlyle to have a fresh clean slate next year.

Based on the signings this season, it looks like he is testing the current core. Robidas was not brought in for his own play, but for how they hope he can impact the play of guys like Phaneuf, Gardiner, and Rielly. Same for Komarov, he was brought in to infuse some energy into the rest of te forwards.

If the core can't follow the lead of those guys, I would think he will push to jettison them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Let's have a year of no excuses.
If Phaneuf doesn't have a "partner" of Kessel doesn't have a "no. 1 center", to bad. Work harder.
We are either getting better or not. These players can either step up or they don't.
If one guy getting hurt causes us to go off the cliff then we are not even close anyway.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
After coming up empty it is easy to say it was your plan all along.

That being said, it should have been the Leafs plan for years.

In a cap world you overpay for what you get most of the time in UFA.

Look at all the bad contracts the past few years in the NHL.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
After coming up empty it is easy to say it was your plan all along.

That being said, it should have been the Leafs plan for years.

In a cap world you overpay for what you get most of the time in UFA.

Look at all the bad contracts the past few years in the NHL.

It doesn't matter what the plan is for the Leafs. It will always fail, it will always be criticized for it's failure and people will be just as accepting of failure as they were the previous year. This team stinks.. it will always stink no matter what plan for building they come up with. Build through draft? They will do it like the Oilers and **** it up so badly, that they become even more of a joke than they already are. We've all seen what "drafting" on July 1 has done so I guess now they try the Raptors model and lose potentially important players, get "depth" and then hope you win the division. I really hope the Costanza model works for the team, I really do but it will probably screw up for them as well.

MSG*

lol

The Rangers owner doesn't care about that. One thing Sather does do is he is very reticent to hand out NMCs and of course the Rangers have more money than they can spend thanks to the cap. They had an 80M payroll in 2003 and still made tons of money.

The Rangers via MSG network broadcast the Rangers, Sabres, Islanders and Devils. They are rolling in cash. They make money when their rivals play! plus they just did a BILLION dollar reno of MSG.

Oh and no other Eastern team has played more playoff games than the Rangers since 2005. Pure gravy.

Sure they have made many a free agent blunder and as a Ranger fan I have fretted over some of them but at the end of the day they buy themselves out of the July 1 mistakes.

They have also drafted quite well which helps alot.

Ryan McDonaugh was well worth the Scott Gomez contract plus they got a couple of 40 goal season's out of Gaborik thanks to the cap relief.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Bugged me how Santorelli was referred to as a "4th line center". If anything he'll be the spark that ignites that sad sack Leafs team

MSG*

...and was so good they bought him out.

Brad Richards was bought out due to the cap re-capture rule added to the new CBA. Do some research.

If Richards retired before the end of his contract the penalties were so punitive that the team had no choice.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This summer's transactions have a chance to work out very well or very badly for Shanahan.

The replacement players come in with lots of question marks and uncertainty and/or limited NHL experience and some injury concerns.

Its going to be a role of the dice situation that is hard to predict the cause and effect on the roster and if it will work as the management intended it to.

We don't agree often.
This time we do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad