News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan glad team stayed away from pricey free

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
In the first sentence you complain about signing an albatross contract, and in your second sentance you complain we didn't sign a bunch of albatross contracts...

I thought his second sentence was more about the fact that we got nothing for those players because we were afraid to get assets for them in a futile attempt to sneak into the playoffs. Bolland is particularly frustrating as we gave up a pretty price to acquire him and probably knew for months how much he'd be asking for.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Hopefully the Leafs make this the rule instead of the exception. Free agents almost never work out, it should be used to build the 3rd and 4th lines and 4th to 7th D-men the draft and the odd trade should be the way to go as far as top 6 forwards and top d-men. I really hope the Leafs get it now that Shanahan is in charge.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Contrast to the last fathead loudmouth idiot who said...

July 1st is our draft day....

He was referring to a year when the Leafs had few picks. It was a perfectly logical statement. It's only when people like you insist on taking an off the cuff remark about the current year and turning it into a statement of team philosophy, that it sounds stupid.

I'll point out that while Shanahan has said that you can't build a team through free agency, it's a qualified statement because he also added something to the effect of sometimes, it's necessary to go with free agents. But that might be too nuanced for many on HFBoards.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The thing is to build a team that is competitive for years and years to come and when the circumstances are right and you have that window THEN and ONLY THEN do you throw everything you have at that cup run.... To give up youth or picks or cripple yourself for that 1 player now is senseless but so many of these guys don't understand that.... They want you to either grab every free agent and force teams to trade you guys that will win you the cup next year and if that doesn't work then tear apart the team and tank and rebuild every two years.... It just doesn't work that way.....

That's been the biggest problem for decades in Toronto. Patience. It's always been preached but never practiced. Not by owners, not by management, not by the media, and not by fans. It's always been knee-jerk reactions, and quick-fix solutions and when it doesn't work, repeat the cycle. What would be revolutionary for Toronto, is if patience is actually practiced; and I mean actual patience. If that's what Brendan Shanahan is doing, then it actually could work

I agree with this 100%
It's about timing.
We are not close to contending, so why try to spend to the cap?
Tweak the team and if any of our players overachieve, trade them at the deadline. Keep our core pieces and collect assets.
We have another 6 years with Clarkson. :(

Ditto.

This is what I think fans of the Bolland trade never understood when they said stuff like "what are the odds of getting a player like Bolland in the 2nd round yada yada yada ...". The value of what we gave isn't the point, the point is the timing. If the Leafs were a contender the trade might have been a good idea but considering where we were at, the trade was IMO bad by definition.

Tyler Biggs*

Shanahan yesterday

I agree with Shanahan….There’s a reason why a team is letting a player go to free agency without re-signing him. He’s either asking for a contract that he’s really not worth, or he’s not the player these other teams think he is. There are exceptions, but few and far between to make it worthwhile.

Why do you think guys like Kane/Toews/Crosby/Doughty, etc never make it to free agency in their prime?

Every free agent looks good in the summer. The warts begin appearing come October. By then it’s too late. Just ask the Rangers who year in and year out go for the biggest and the best only to find out they’re the biggest busts. Brad Richards?

The best teams in hockey build through the draft. They add pieces through free agency and trades, but don’t build their teams that way..example Kings/Blackhawks.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Ditto.

This is what I think fans of the Bolland trade never understood when they said stuff like "what are the odds of getting a player like Bolland in the 2nd round yada yada yada ...". The value of what we gave isn't the point, the point is the timing. If the Leafs were a contender the trade might have been a good idea but considering where we were at, the trade was IMO bad by definition.

Agreed. It was the same thing with the Kessel trade. We didn't need to pay that price, at that time, with that roster. We'd have been better off in a lot of ways had we put a potato in charge of the team in 2008 for a few years.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that we signed Clarkson to an albatross contract.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland all walked for nothing.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan enjoys watching a team consistently hold a playoff spot just past the deadline, and then fritter it away with end-of-season collapses. It's kind of difficult to sell pending UFAs like Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland if you are comfortably in a playoff spot. And it's quite difficult to predict that after the trade deadline, that comfortable playoff spot will evaporate into nothing. Seems like the Leafs have a knack for doing this though.

:shakehead

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
I hope Shanahan stays true to that statement and puts a heavier emphasis on the draft and internal development. It's been a while since somebody's come up through our system.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
No doubt they would rather have Bolland than Kontiola and Santorelli as their 3rd line center but they simply couldn't afford to outbid others for their own player.

Yes the could but they chose not to. Big difference.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes the could but they chose not to. Big difference.

If the Leafs had given Bolland $5.5 mil per that is the same cap hit as Kontiola ($1.1 mil), Santorelli ($1.5 mil), Komarov ($2.9 mil) combined.

With only 12 players under contract and $20 mil to spend they needed quantity not quality to fill out the roster. (= 12 players needed at $20 mil free cap = $1.66 AAV per player)

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Shanny put a limit on each player and never went past it. If Bolland got 5x5 good for him cause the leafs didn't want to go over a certain number and didn't

Last year they got in a bidding war for Clarkson and for years other FA where they overpaid to be the last guy standing and it for the most part never worked out

So tell me the difference between Bolland and Santorelli this upcoming year? Who will have more points? Will their D be mostly the same?

So yeah they got outbid but it's because they put a number on the player and stuck to the guns

Bravo

Okay, that's super....but none of that constitutes staying away. They tried to pay bolland a lot of money.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If the Leafs had given Bolland $5.5 mil per that is the same cap hit as Kontiola ($1.1 mil), Santorelli ($1.5 mil), Komarov ($2.9 mil) combined.

With only 12 players under contract and $20 mil to spend they needed quantity not quality to fill out the roster. (= 12 players needed at $20 mil free cap = $1.66 AAV per player)
Who are the 12 you have signed and why are the Leafs carrying a 24 man roster? After Bolland at 5.5, they would have had a little more than the 1.66 AAV per player you quoted according to the numbers I see in capgeek.

Tyler Biggs*

Shanahan is on record saying he is not a big fan of free agency and doesn't believe it should be used heavily to build a team.

This summers minor tweaks to the roster simply trying to replace the departed on cheaper contracts an early sign he is a man of his word in that regard as actions speak louder than words.

I agree with Shanny and it should be used to simply fill holes that you can't fill internally outside of when a big star player hits the market and then everybody wants him.

Most UFAs normally come with a buyer beware warning label and those that don’t, will be vastly overpaid. So yes it is a tough way to build but if you need a certain piece and that piece is available then I say overpay as you must but keep the term short if you can.

Mar 12, 2009
I saw the author and didn't read much more. Did he edit his article about the Gunnarson trade that gets the details of the trade wrong yet?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...anahans_gut_tells_him_to_go_slow_dimanno.html

For those familiar with Shanahan as a dynamic and ornery winger, a leader who could will things to happen in a game, fearless, it’s been somewhat disconcerting how cautiously — to an outsider — he’s proceeded, even how guarded he’s been in his comments to the media. This from someone who could so effortlessly fill a reporter’s notebook at his locker.

Where did that guy go?

“I’m the same person,” Shanahan insists. “Sometimes in my last job I used to say to people, don’t be fooled by the suit. I don’t have to bang a loud drum. I don’t feel I need to make headlines. When I take something on, I can’t turn it off. That hasn’t changed. The seriousness I have is the responsibility that I feel comes with this job. You’ll have to forgive me if I don’t make big statements and wave my arms around.

“You learn how to become an executive. But the player is still under the suit.”

Alas, Shanahan can’t remove that suit and dress as a Leaf or their problems would be halfway towards solved.

But rest assured that he does have a plan, that he’s deep into the process of moving it along, incrementally, and that he understands your pain, Toronto. Because he’s always had a fierce attachment to the Leafs, despite a playing career that never brought him home.

“I feel incredibly lucky. I mean, this when I say that I couldn’t be more excited to have this opportunity and privilege. I don’t ever want to play up the fact that I’m from here but I grew up a fan. In my 21-year career I had one eye on the Leafs, always had an interest in them, even when my interest was in beating them.

“This would mean so much to me, if we can put this together. It would certainly be something that I was most proud of."

“One common theme that I’ve heard from a lot of people is to avoid the temptation to make knee-jerk decisions that provide the impression of a quick solution and satisfying people’s hunger for IT’S GOTTA HAPPEN NOW, IT’S GOTTA HAPPEN NOW, IT’S GOTTA HAPPEN NOW. And here we are 90 days later: I haven’t lost a game, I haven’t won a game. And everyone’s saying, come on, change everybody!

“I knew this was coming. And I know there will be stormy days ahead. If I want to have success, I have to stay determined through those stormy days and trust what I know.”

Feb 24, 2004
I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that we signed Clarkson to an albatross contract.

I wonder if Brendan Shanahan is glad that Raymond, Kulemin, McClement, and Bolland all walked for nothing.

I wonder if up realize these two points are pretty contradictory.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
we should have signed all those guys before they walked , iced the same team & expect completely different results ! :scared:

Tyler Biggs*

I think he is doing exactly what he needs to do. You can't build a championship team through free agency. Leafs need to do a better job developing their home grown talent. That's how you win cups.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I thought his second sentence was more about the fact that we got nothing for those players because we were afraid to get assets for them in a futile attempt to sneak into the playoffs. Bolland is particularly frustrating as we gave up a pretty price to acquire him and probably knew for months how much he'd be asking for.

Apparently Leafs management didn't see his asking price coming

And all that talk about wanting to stay, in the end he followed the money, like most do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad