News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan glad team stayed away from pricey free

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Brad Richards was bought out due to the cap re-capture rule added to the new CBA. Do some research.

If Richards retired before the end of his contract the penalties were so punitive that the team had no choice.

Hossa had a similar deal, I wonder why the Hawks didn't buy out Hossa :sarcasm:

MSG*

Hossa had a similar deal, I wonder why the Hawks didn't buy out Hossa :sarcasm:

The real question is why would the Rangers give a **** about Marion Hossa? They have their team to take care of. Why care about another?

The Rangers don't and have no reason to.

MSG*

I wonder which team has bought out the most players? Sounds like a poll.

Tyler Biggs*

I watch my fair share of Canuck games and Mike Santorelli was like Raymond for the Leafs until the injury. He was creative, meshed well with whoever he played with and was looking like he was playing beyond his worth. This might work out Leaf fans better than you think.....

Tyler Biggs*

The #1 problem with being drafted by the Leafs has been that you never really get a good chance to make the big club. The Leafs have a poor record for player development and the patience that goes with it. Shanny is saying and doing the right things - it is a slow building process.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's good they stayed lean. When they go out and bring in guys like Tim Connolly you're usually paying a guy a slight increase in salary for a slight to seriously declining career arc. Better to just test the kids out to get a better idea of who's a stud/dud and evolve in house.

Also doesn't hurt to have that cap space ready for big fish looming on the horizon.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
In the first sentence you complain about signing an albatross contract, and in your second sentance you complain we didn't sign a bunch of albatross contracts...

No sorry if I miscommunicated. Second sentence is me complaining that those useless pending UFAs walked for nothing - they should have been traded at the deadline.

But in the third sentence I admitted that it's very hard to sell pending UFAs when you are in a playoff spot. Leafs have a knack for being in a comfortable playoff spot and then having it evaporate into nothing AFTER the deadline. Woops! Too late to sell of your pending UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad