Toronto Maple Leafs Mid Season Prospect Rankings #5/6 TIE BREAKER

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Johnson has way more red flags. He's very undersized, is abysmal defensively and benefits from a lot more space with the bigger ice.

Dermott is a PPG defenseman in the OHL with literally 0 holes in his game. He was a top 3, if not top 2 defenseman on team Canada a finished near PPG in the latter half of the Otters season last year, including playoffs. He also has a better pedigree (34th overall vs. 7th rounder), which is pretty insignificant, but still worth noting since neither player is over 20 years old.

Same can be said about Nielsen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Johnson has way more red flags. He's very undersized, is abysmal defensively and benefits from a lot more space with the bigger ice.

Dermott is a PPG defenseman in the OHL with literally 0 holes in his game. He was a top 3, if not top 2 defenseman on team Canada a finished near PPG in the latter half of the Otters season last year, including playoffs. He also has a better pedigree (34th overall vs. 7th rounder), which is pretty insignificant, but still worth noting since neither player is over 20 years old.

lol

- 5'10 is no longer "very undersized". He's very stocky and has good lower body strength. That's all you need

- Just because he's very good offensively, doesn't mean he's "abysmal defensively". You are just assuming. It's clear you haven't watched him at all. He's very responsible. Won't win any Selke's, but has solid awareness. Does he need work? Sure, but to call him abysmal, is ridiculous

- So the reason Johnson is doing so well is because he benefits from the bigger ice..... When he is playing against other players on the same ice.

Amazing Logic.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
lol

- 5'10 is no longer "very undersized". He's very stocky and has good lower body strength. That's all you need

- Just because he's very good offensively, doesn't mean he's "abysmal defensively". You are just assuming. It's clear you haven't watched him at all. He's very responsible. Won't win any Selke's, but has solid awareness

- So the reason Johnson is doing so well is because he benefits from the bigger ice..... When he is playing against other players on the same ice.

Amazing Logic.

Well I'm picking Johnson, they are pretty even for me like everyone else, my deciding factor was Johnson has been playing against men the last couple years. I'm projecting Johnson as a 2nd line winger and Dermott as a 3-4 d man. Dermott will be two or three years before he's pushing for an permanent fixture on Leafs blueline. When its this even between prospects have to decide with factors like this. I couldn't care less who out of these two gets ranked ahead of the other. Time will tell. Both will be solid nhlers so win win for Leafs

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
What Johnson is doing in the SHL at 22(?) is great but it isn't even as good as Nylander was at 18. Not that he has to be as good as Nylander to be a good prospect, but it falls quite short of "amazing" IMO.

From what I've seen(which admittedly isnt all that much), he doesn't have a really high end skillset. He has a good shot and a knack for timely arrivals in scoring areas, but doesn't have a lot of tools to beat defenders with. The places he has successfully from are a lot harder to get to in the NHL.

Basically I get a Jeremy Williams sort of vibe from him. I could easily be wrong.

Johnson just turned 21. He is only a year and a half older than Nylander. In his draft +2 year, Johnson is putting up similar numbers in the SHL that Nylander put up in his draft +1 year in the SHL. Nylander is obviously the better prospect, but I think you are dramatically underrating Johnson.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
To be honest, I'm not really sold about this tiebreaker.

Although they tied, If Johnson wins I'm pretty sure Timashov has a very good chance of beating Dermott.

I bet a lot of people(Me included) who voted Johnson will vote Timashov and he was right there at the end of last poll.

Edit: At the very least you should put Tima and the loser head to head.

Last edited:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
To be honest, I'm not really sold about this tiebreaker.

Although they tied, If Johnson wins I'm pretty sure Timashov has a very good chance of beating Dermott.

I bet a lot of people(Me included) who voted Johnson will vote Timashov and he's was right there at the end of last poll.

If more people feel that way then I wouldn't be opposed to having Johnson at 5 (assuming he wins here) and doing a new poll for #6, rather than just slotting Dermott in there. I figured since it was tied (And is so close right now) that it very likely Dermott would win #6 anyway.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I've seen very little of Johnson but his stats are impressive & his hair, my God, Willie will have some competition.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If more people feel that way then I wouldn't be opposed to having Johnson at 5 (assuming he wins here) and doing a new poll for #6, rather than just slotting Dermott in there. I figured since it was tied (And is so close right now) that it very likely Dermott would win #6 anyway.

Just the way I see it is:

Johnson
Tima
Dermott

And Timashov was only 8 away from tying. The winners 52 votes could go either way.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I think you should do a #6 poll. Things like that tend to happen quite a bit, it's not like Johnson/Dermott were dominant in the last poll. Timashov was only 8 votes behind and there are 52 votes to re-distribute assuming the same voters. It could easily swing to Timashov.

imo players have to win a poll to get their spot. Marner was an obvious 2 but still had to win #2 after Nylander beat him for 1. Kapanen was an obvious #4 but still had to win that spot after Brown got 3.

Dermott isn't actually an obvious #6 and if he doesn't win #5 he hasn't won his spot yet.

I believe last time we did this, when we were in the teens, someone finished 2nd in like 4 or 5 polls in a row before they finally won their spot.

I voted Johnson here and will be voting Dermott but imo Dermott should have to win his spot and not have it given to him because he tied at 5 and lost the tiebreaker.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
lol

- Just because he's very good offensively, doesn't mean he's "abysmal defensively". You are just assuming. It's clear you haven't watched him at all. He's very responsible. Won't win any Selke's, but has solid awareness. Does he need work? Sure, but to call him abysmal, is ridiculous

Amazing Logic.

He is undersized. The average height in the NHL is 6'1". More exceptional skills are required for a 5'10" to be a legit NHLer. I think he has those abilities. However look at Arcobello as an example of a doubtlessly talented player who is not a weakling but struggles to be an NHL player.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He is undersized. The average height in the NHL is 6'1". More exceptional skills are required for a 5'10" to be a legit NHLer. I think he has those abilities. However look at Arcobello as an example of a doubtlessly talented player who is not a weakling but struggles to be an NHL player.

He's smaller than average

"Extremely undersized" is going to the extremes

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Dermott is living off the Team Canada hype right now.

I think being 4th in the OHL in points for D, and 3 points behind points per game has a lot more to do with it.

I mean both Timashov and Dermott have great seasons in the CHL and the WJC going for them. Dermott was drafted higher, that's the tiebreaker for me because they're so close.

Both should be behind Johnson though.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Not surprised to see Johnson winning. This board has always had an obsession with point totals and wouldn't know a good defensemen if it slapped them in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad