KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Rankings:
1. William Nylander - 82.35%
2. Mitch Marner - 94.59%
3. Connor Brown - 50.00%
4. Kasperi Kapanen - 69.42%​

Travis Dermott and Andreas Johnson are tied at 52 votes each. The winner of this poll will win the #5 spot, while the loser will take the #6 spot.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Dermott.

I'm not all that sold on Johnson to be honest.

Does this have anything to do with him being selected in the seventh round and playing overseas?

I have no idea why you would be sold more on Dermott at this point of time. What Johnson is doing int he SHL currently is amazing.

In saying all of that, when comparing a Dman to a FWD, it will be quite difficult when not comparing apples to apples.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Does this have anything to do with him being selected in the seventh round and playing overseas?

I have no idea why you would be sold more on Dermott at this point of time. What Johnson is doing int he SHL currently is amazing.

In saying all of that, when comparing a Dman to a FWD, it will be quite difficult when not comparing apples to apples.

What Johnson is doing in the SHL at 22(?) is great but it isn't even as good as Nylander was at 18. Not that he has to be as good as Nylander to be a good prospect, but it falls quite short of "amazing" IMO.

From what I've seen(which admittedly isnt all that much), he doesn't have a really high end skillset. He has a good shot and a knack for timely arrivals in scoring areas, but doesn't have a lot of tools to beat defenders with. The places he has successfully from are a lot harder to get to in the NHL.

Basically I get a Jeremy Williams sort of vibe from him. I could easily be wrong.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Johnson has torn up the SHL against men as a kid. Way more impressive than playing well in the CHL. Like Dermott but my vote is

Johnson

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Haven't seen Johnson play and that's the only thing that keeping me from voting for him.

I've seen highlights on youtube and other apps, but highlights could make my career look good from house league.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Johnson is the sleeper here.

He has done everything we could have hoped for in a men's league. Dermott is still all potential to me. Sorry but Johnson looks to be a sleeper scorer with a knack for the net. Dermott is a potential top 4 Dman who may develop with only CHL testing.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Johnson has torn up the SHL against men as a kid. Way more impressive than playing well in the CHL. Like Dermott but my vote is

Johnson
Johnson has way more red flags. He's very undersized, is abysmal defensively and benefits from a lot more space with the bigger ice.

Dermott is a PPG defenseman in the OHL with literally 0 holes in his game. He was a top 3, if not top 2 defenseman on team Canada a finished near PPG in the latter half of the Otters season last year, including playoffs. He also has a better pedigree (34th overall vs. 7th rounder), which is pretty insignificant, but still worth noting since neither player is over 20 years old.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Johnson!!!

For god sakes.. what is wrong with some of you guys. Stop with the shiny new toy syndrome.

This kid is already playing against grown men and is doing un real for his age. He has good potential.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
You clearly have very little knowledge about AJ, Morrison when he was drafted "Hes short but stocky", what was his size when he was drafted you ask? 5'10" 180lbs. Who knows what his weight is now but its likely he is in the 190s.

If thats too small lets compare that to an elite NHL player Claude Giroux: 5'11" 175lbs.

Sorry but that is not "severely undersized" to me or whatever you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
What Johnson is doing in the SHL at 22(?) is great but it isn't even as good as Nylander was at 18. Not that he has to be as good as Nylander to be a good prospect, but it falls quite short of "amazing" IMO.

From what I've seen(which admittedly isnt all that much), he doesn't have a really high end skillset. He has a good shot and a knack for timely arrivals in scoring areas, but doesn't have a lot of tools to beat defenders with. The places he has successfully from are a lot harder to get to in the NHL.

Basically I get a Jeremy Williams sort of vibe from him. I could easily be wrong.

5th in points.
2nd in goals
21 years old

The Swedish posters on here liken him to Cammalleri

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Johnson has way more red flags. He's very undersized, is abysmal defensively and benefits from a lot more space with the bigger ice.

Dermott is a PPG defenseman in the OHL with literally 0 holes in his game. He was a top 3, if not top 2 defenseman on team Canada a finished near PPG in the latter half of the Otters season last year, including playoffs. He also has a better pedigree (34th overall vs. 7th rounder), which is pretty insignificant, but still worth noting since neither player is over 20 years old.

How many games have you actually watched him play? In all honesty

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
How many games have you actually watched him play? In all honesty

Everyone that read his 2 posts in this thread knows its 0. But I wouldnt be surprised to hear him say hes seen him play 10-20 times.

Very undersized...

What did you think of Nylander, Marner, Bracco and Lindgren when they were drafted? @95

mikebel111*

I picked Dermott but Johnson is a very good prospect too.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Um good one?

You clearly have very little knowledge about AJ, Morrison when he was drafted "Hes short but stocky", what was his size when he was drafted you ask? 5'10" 180lbs. Who knows what his weight is now but its likely he is in the 190s.

If thats too small lets compare that to an elite NHL player Claude Giroux: 5'11" 175lbs.

Sorry but that is not "severely undersized" to me or whatever you said.
Semantics. Regardless 5'10 is undersized, which is all I said, and that's a generous measurement because he looks 5'9" to me.

Maybe you need to get a clue because he is certainly not a good defensive player, like I said.

Leaf fans are so defensive about every prospect you can't bring up a single flaw.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Semantics. Regardless 5'10 is undersized, which is all I said, and that's a generous measurement because he looks 5'9" to me.

Maybe you need to get a clue because he is certainly not a good defensive player, like I said.

Leaf fans are so defensive about every prospect you can't bring up a single flaw.

So yea, how many times did you see him player Mr Hockey Guru?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Going with Johnson here as I think he is so under the radar that most don't know what we are getting. He will be that trigger man for Willie or mitch. He knows were to go and has a Lazer shot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Johnson is likely to win the scoring title in the SHL at age 20.

He's 1 point behind the goal leader and 6 behind the points leader while playing less games and less minutes.

Currently he's the top player in the league.

I love Dermott, and I've raced about Timashov, but Johnson is just amazing.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Imo his only red flag is his conditioning coming from the shorter SHL season to the nhl. I think he will need to pick that up and he has admitted as much, so I can't see him not committing to it.
I see this happening in the ahl where he will a climate to the smaller ice.
As for size he's a stocky guy but imo he is strong and that's more important than size. As for his defense, it's average not abysmal. He usually gets the puck down to the offensive zone and plays the game there which is a good thing.
Both these choices are good I just think Johnson will make a bigger impact in the nhl in he short run, but that's also in part to the fact that defensemen usually take longer to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad