Another reason for opening up the vote for #6:

Votes were 6-5 in favour of Timashov #3 rankings
Votes were 12-7 in favour of Timashov in #4 rankings
Votes were 52-44 in favour of Dermott in #5 rankings

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I find it ironic how people are saying the majority of people who voted for Dermott are basing it off his WJC, when watching Erie/OHL games is 100x easier to watch than SHL games.

I'm not even discrediting Johnson, as I have no problem with him over Dermott, he's my 3rd favourite prospect after Marner and Dermott, but some of the comments make me smh.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
A few people have raised good points regarding the #6 poll. For those reasons the loser of this poll will not automatically be slotted in as the #6 and I will put up a #6 poll tomorrow.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I find it ironic how people are saying the majority of people who voted for Dermott are basing it off his WJC, when watching Erie/OHL games is 100x easier to watch than SHL games.

I'm not even discrediting Johnson, as I have no problem with him over Dermott, he's my 3rd favourite prospect after Marner and Dermott, but some of the comments make me smh.

Andrew Nielsen -> 49 GP, 52 P +31 - In on 25% of team's goals (as of today).
-----Lethbridge Hurricanes: 1st in WHL. +68 goal differential
Travis Dermott -> 38 GP, 34 P +28 - In on 18% of team's goals (as of today).
-----Erie Otters: 1st in OHL. +73 goal differential

So why is Dermott ranked so much higher? Team Canada bias. Stop shaking your head.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Just because Johnson is in a mens league and Dermott is the minors means nothing. I have high hopes for both players, but look at some of the other top scores in the SHL this year and previous years. Scattered with N.American players who couldn't make it the NHL/AHL. He may be great when he comes over (and I hope he is), but I just cant put him higher than Dermott.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Just because Johnson is in a mens league and Dermott is the minors means nothing. I have high hopes for both players, but look at some of the other top scores in the SHL this year and previous years. Scattered with N.American players who couldn't make it the NHL/AHL. He may be great when he comes over (and I hope he is), but I just cant put him higher than Dermott.

You could say the exact same thing about the OHL... except one is playing against men and the other isn't. One is also a forward which is much more projectable than defense.

The top scorers in the SHL are (by age):

29, 29, 25, 33, 21 (Johnson), 27, 28, 27, 30, 30, 32, 27, 28, 25, 29, 20, 33, 28, 25, 26

What Johnson is doing as a 21 year old is pretty impressive.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Its not about points. Watch Dermott play, hes so dominant...Really really underrated player with the puck and an extremely strong skater. Has good size for a guy who can skate and handle the puck so well..Is very Doughty like.

Andreas is an incredible talent out in sweden, he has a hell of a shot and good hands to go with it. He could very well end up being our own Kucherov...

But to me Dermott should have been #3...He has top pairing potential and a top 4 floor IMO. For me hes basically a lock to be a future NHLer.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
You could say the exact same thing about the OHL... except one is playing against men and the other isn't. One is also a forward which is much more projectable than defense.

The top scorers in the SHL are (by age):

29, 29, 25, 33, 21 (Johnson), 27, 28, 27, 30, 30, 32, 27, 28, 25, 29, 20, 33, 28, 25, 26

What Johnson is doing as a 21 year old is pretty impressive.

I agree it's impressive, and he has a great shot. Just trying to make a point that the SHL competition and success holds very little weight with me. I have watched a handful of Johnsons games and like him alot, but I'm rather nervous on the transition to the N.American game.

I just have a feeling Dermott's game and ceiling is higher.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
He is undersized. The average height in the NHL is 6'1". More exceptional skills are required for a 5'10" to be a legit NHLer. I think he has those abilities. However look at Arcobello as an example of a doubtlessly talented player who is not a weakling but struggles to be an NHL player.

offensive skills but can't play d for his life. nathan gerbe is 5'5; i don't exactly see him as a game changer. people overvalue height too much; if they can play, they can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad