Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs at New York Rangers - December 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
For all of the concern about evaporating the offense, can someone explain to me why? You don't need this uber-pressure defensive system to generate a counter-attack. Most of our offense comes off the counter attack where we excel at lateral passing and taking advantage of seams we open in opposition defenses. Why does that strategy have to change?

Like I've said about AV: he's probably the best offensive coach in the league. Dude is an offensive wizard and there's no denying it. However, his defensive strategies are just silly.
The point of this defensive system is to generate offense. It’s not unreasonable to suspect changing play in one zone might affect the other.

Having our cake and eating it too here is also part of why I mentioned this, because life often just doesn’t work that way lol.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I was there last night. We went nuts for the Grabner goal, but it came so quick most of us didn't even get a good look at it until the replay.

Everyone looked slow and disinterested, no one finishing checks. Zucc was one of the few guys I noticed every shift. McDonagh started off stronger, and Skjei made some nice plays.

But we had no response for the Leafs speed. Any time Matthews was on the ice, it was just complete domination. He completely took over. Just ridiculous. They cycled really well.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Joe: "Sam, Hayes was offside there"
Sam: "Yeah Joe. Very unfortunate."

These morons will never be objective when a player makes a mistake. It's always "unlucky"

It's very unprofessional to call out individual players on the team you commentate for. It's like calling it a teammate.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I was there last night. We went nuts for the Grabner goal, but it came so quick most of us didn't even get a good look at it until the replay.

Everyone looked slow and disinterested, no one finishing checks. Zucc was one of the few guys I noticed every shift. McDonagh started off stronger, and Skjei made some nice plays.

But we had no response for the Leafs speed. Any time Matthews was on the ice, it was just complete domination. He completely took over. Just ridiculous. They cycled really well.
Was there also and thought it was a who they were type game... perimeter shots... hemmed into their own zone. No grit. No one going to high traffic areas and WAYY TOO MUCH OVERPASSING when they did get the puck into TO’s zone

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Looking a bit more into Shattenkirk's season. He and McDonagh only played about 45:00 together. Their G+/- was bad, -3, but this was during the very beginning of the season,w hen Rangers Sh% and Sv% were way below normal and had not yet normalized.

bVDkI6k.png

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Looking a bit more into Shattenkirk's season. He and McDonagh only played about 45:00 together. Their G+/- was bad, -3, but this was during the very beginning of the season,w hen Rangers Sh% and Sv% were way below normal and had not yet normalized.

bVDkI6k.png
This came up on a recent PDOcast.

They surmised that the first TOR game was what basically made AV split them up and never put them back together.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Podcast with Dimitri Filipovic. Has on guests to talk about...whatever, really. Recently did casts about ranking best players at each position, dives into how each conference is doing, how the hockey media industry is (had Friedman as a guest), etc.

If it has to do with hockey, he'll talk about it.

Highly recommended. It's on iTunes/Soundcloud/etc.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

bVDkI6k.png
That’s the AV way he writes things off in the beginning of the year when the team isn’t prepared or organized yet

Reactions: TheTakedown

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Shattenkirk is our #2D whether he is with Skjei or McDonagh. The extent to which AV is "sheltering" him is overstated. He is not being used like he was in Washington or St. Louis. Skjei-Shattenkirk is our top-pairing when McDonagh is out, we're not talking about John Moore here.

Edit: what I am even talking about, AV is never going to try it again anyway lol.

Reactions: Ori

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Joe: "Sam, Hayes was offside there"
Sam: "Yeah Joe. Very unfortunate."

These morons will never be objective when a player makes a mistake. It's always "unlucky"

Or, Sam could've said.........Hayes goes off sides. What in the hell was he thinking? Oh wait......maybe he wasn't! (Thinking) But he was definitely off sides.

Yeah Sam, he wasn't even anywhere close to the play......totally inexcusable to not know where you are on the ice.

You know Joe, ever since Bettman took over, the NHL isn't like it used to be.

Joe: yeah, tell me about it, and btw have you seen Zbad lately?

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Of course he does think that his system is the most appropriate. I'd never believe he's purposely sabotaging the team, and I can see the point that @Ola mentioned: switching the defensive system could result in the offense drying out as an unintended outcome. His reasoning could be that as long as he has Hank in the net - he'd rather expose defense then offense.

I so like this post and have been thinking and saying this forever long as I can remember. AV is a KNOWN offensive type coach and if you have the birds, you have to let them fly! This is basically HIS TEAM (exceptions being Hank, Marc and McD).
Kind of goes back to "if you're paying your BEST PLAYER that much money then he has to win games for you, literally sometimes singlehandedly. Once again, had Hank taken just a few million less per......well maybe we would have another sniper instead of a Vesey or a better 3rd or 4th center than DD.

We obviously have a less than great defense, which AV tries to "cover up" with offense. Keep opposing teams on their heals with our speed, and maybe they won't be in our d zone as much, and pray Hank can fend off the onslaughts.

Edit.....does anyone remember when we had SEVERE defensive problems the 1st 10 games or so? I do. At that point in time, AV obviously switched it up a bit and told everyone to pay attention to defense as a priority. Get our defense right, and hopefully the offense will come FROM that good defense. Seemed Hank was in disarray because he couldn't trust his defense, (which screwed with his head) then forcing him to "overplay" the play, leaving him many times out of position. Just saying, that was then and this is now.
As a team, we have been much better positionally, much less inconcievable missed defensive assignments, but still leaving and needing Hank to play "his game". I may be wrong, but.......we have been giving up an inordinate amount of shots on goal, but to me that doesn't matter (except for the fact we obviously don't have the puck) providing that they're limited grade A chances. Yeah, it seems that AV is kind of fighting fire with fire, but we are quite the "opportunistic team" and rely on opposing teams becoming too offensive, and that is where we strike with our "speed" and make plays from our own zone. I might be wrong but.......

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I so like this post and have been thinking and saying this forever long as I can remember. AV is a KNOWN offensive type coach and if you have the birds, you have to let them fly! This is basically HIS TEAM (exceptions being Hank, Marc and McD).
Kind of goes back to "if you're paying your BEST PLAYER that much money then he has to win games for you, literally sometimes singlehandedly. Once again, had Hank taken just a few million less per......well maybe we would have another sniper instead of a Vesey or a better 3rd or 4th center than DD.

We obviously have a less than great defense, which AV tries to "cover up" with offense. Keep opposing teams on their heals with our speed, and maybe they won't be in our d zone as much, and pray Hank can fend off the onslaughts.

Is this a post about Rick Nash?

It can’t be about Hank... I mean he actually DOES his job.

Nash gets 7+ to play two way hockey???

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Is this a post about Rick Nash?

It can’t be about Hank... I mean he actually DOES his job.

Nash gets 7+ to play two way hockey???

Okay fine, it actually wasn't but applies as well to a degree. Difference is we paid Nasher that amount "knowing full well" what his contract was and when it expired. In answer, no.....maybe it wasn't fulfilled to what the Rangers thought they were paying for. He definitely hasn't scored enough and his playoff performances overall weren't up to expectations.

In Hanks case, come negotiation time.......he wanted to be the highest paid goaltender. Period. There were no negotiations to speak of. Who knows? Maybe he asked for 10 million per, so if that's the case I'm wrong about the negotiation part.

Anyway, my overall point was I wish he would've pulled a McD.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Or, Sam could've said.........Hayes goes off sides. What in the hell was he thinking? Oh wait......maybe he wasn't!

Yeah Sam, he wasn't even anywhere close to the play......totally inexcusable to not know where you are on the ice.

You know Joe, ever since Bettman took over, the NHL isn't like it used to be.

Joe: yeah, tell me about it, and btw have you seen Zbad lately?

That was a really pretty play by McD, Zooks and Grabs. What a shame Hayes went off side.

Reactions: klingsor

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
All I know is I'm having a colonoscopy done tomorrow an have to eat nothing but clear soups and drinks......so I'm in a really "pissy" mood, and no Rangers game to boot. Then again, maybe if there were, I'd be tempted into drinking the koolaid, yeah, they make me drink.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
All I know is I'm having a colonoscopy done tomorrow an have to eat nothing but clear soups and drinks......so I'm in a really "pissy" mood, and no Rangers game to boot. Then again, maybe if there were, I'd be tempted into drinking the koolaid, yeah, they make me drink.
Good luck with everything Larry. Try not to bite anyone today if you get "hangry" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad