Post-Game Talk (GBU): Toronto Maple Leafs at Buffalo Sabres 7:00PM ET 2/16/2020

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Leafs fans can’t figure out how a team that was being outshot 35-17 at the time had no power plays to out three.

One of life’s great mysteries

Well they had changed momentum or something, because the Leafs came out swinging at the start of the third. I mean I saw a lot of uncalled penalties on both teams, the ones that were called were fairly egregious. Hooking on the play in front of the net taking away a scoring chance with all cameras focused on the play, and tripping on the puck carrier. They let everything go away from the action for both teams, only called penalties when they happened within feet of the puck.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Box score Maple Leafs vs. Sabres - Box Score - February 16, 2020 - ESPN
Lazar dominated on faceoffs 14W, 4L
You know you have problems on D when Justin Holl plays the most minutes.

upload_2020-2-16_22-19-1.png

Reactions: Ralonzo and Fearnot

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Well they had changed momentum or something, because the Leafs came out swinging at the start of the third. I mean I saw a lot of uncalled penalties on both teams, the ones that were called were fairly egregious. Hooking on the play in front of the net taking away a scoring chance with all cameras focused on the play, and tripping on the puck carrier. They let everything go away from the action for both teams, only called penalties when they happened within feet of the puck.
Right before Eichel's goal in the 3rd the Leafs had about the most obvious too many men on the ice that the refs let go. It should have been a 5-3 pp.

Reactions: Fearnot

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
What a fantastic game. Boring first, solid second, and a dominant third without allowing the Leafs to come back into the game late.

Matthews would be a such a complete player if he played with an edge. Watching him is frustrating. The guy is so strong, yet allows someone like Larsson to nut check him after the whistle with nothing more than a dirty look.
If we wanted to he could be Jamie Benn in his prime. Just a nightmare to play against.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
leafs looked so out of sync, the puck of go by 3 leaf players and it was almost like all 3 players thought the other player would take the puck, lol what a circus show.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Right before Eichel's goal in the 3rd the Leafs had about the most obvious too many men on the ice that the refs let go. It should have been a 5-3 pp.

Even sportsnet called them out for that saying Leafs got away with one there. The problem is Leafs under Babcock played the "they cant call everything" game, just like Tampa does. Once the calls start piling up refs put whistles away, so just obstruct slash and hold all you want. I'm not one to defend refs, they are bad more often than not, but in this game you saw what was happening. As long as you did your dirt away from the puck they let it go, Sabres took advantage, Leafs did too, it's just that the Leafs also decided to make dumb plays on the puck carrier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad