GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs (48-25-7) @ New Jersey Devils (43-28-9) | 7:00 PM ET | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Win tonight and get the 2 records (team points + andersen single season wins) so Saturday can be a preseason meaningless game.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't want to even get into the Las Vegas stuff to much... other then it has to do with paying the league 500 million dollars. Also starting with a really good goalie and somehow surviving with amazing goaltending. Also Having a great coach. Obviously there's other factors but personally to me a big piss off. Then Seattle will get the same. Expansion teams in the past didn't get a lot of this stuff. Money talks.

Leafs have all of this now. It's just been since the early 2000's since they were any good. It is pretty crazy they have never had a season above 103 points though. That could change soon though and in the future. In the end though who cares...

winning the cup with a 95 point season is just as good as winning with 131 points.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Our Leafs are last among all original 6 teams and as you say need more games and loser points to break that franchise record and still not able to match other historical teams of the past.
Yeah you're right. You've convinced me to not be a Leafs fan anymore because they sucked in 1970. Wait, I thought this was a "convince me not to be a Leafs fan anymore" thread???

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah you're right. You've convinced me to not be a Leafs fan anymore because they sucked in 1970. Wait, I thought this was a "convince me not to be a Leafs fan anymore" thread???

Its not about not being a Leafs fan, its about adding context to the achievement for me.

My point was Leafs are about to set a new 100 year best mark with a point tonight, but unfortunately that record isn't even better than this years expansion Las Vegas team. :(

Its a Leafs personal best, but is that really saying much in today's NHL with 3 point games and forced results in OT/SO?.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Other original 6 teams like Montreal were putting up 120-132 point seasons in the 1970s with no SO or gimmicky loser points.

Boston team record 121 points
Chicago .......................... 112 points
Detroit .............................131 points
NY Rangers ................. 113 points

Our Leafs are last among all original 6 teams and as you say need more games and loser points to break that franchise record and still not able to match other historical teams of the past.
We have more cups than 4 of the other 5 original 6, so I'll take that over a single season points record, personally.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Its a Leafs personal best, but is that really saying much in today's NHL with 3 point games and forced results in OT/SO?.
Who cares? Breaking personal records is just a way to measure if you are getting better every day/every season. This is just proof that this team is getting better. Is it the best Leafs team we've ever had? Well that's speculative, but next season we have a chance to break our record again. Especially impressive that we finished dead last 2 years ago and broke a record for points this season.

Reactions: sIDEsHOW93

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Its not about not being a Leafs fan, its about adding context to the achievement for me.

My point was Leafs are about to set a new 100 year best mark with a point tonight, but unfortunately that record isn't even better than this years expansion Las Vegas team. :(

who gives a flying crap what Vegas does? why are you looking for the tarnished side of the penny?
the team you cheer for is setting records. be happy in that, not depressed that another team who actually has a lot of good talent did better. for crying out loud.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who cares? Breaking personal records is just a way to measure if you are getting better every day/every season. This is just proof that this team is getting better. Is it the best Leafs team we've ever had? Well that's speculative, but next season we have a chance to break our record again. Especially impressive that we finished dead last 2 years ago and broke a record for points this season.

How the Leafs do in the playoffs is going to be more important than personal regular season records for me.

Nothing wrong with the Leafs doing well.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Goodness what a start to this thread. I think some of the older Leaf fans are like an old married couple, you've been around the person so much you've grown to loathe them but it's just doesn't make sense to separate at this point.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
We have more cups than 4 of the other 5 original 6, so I'll take that over a single season points record, personally.

don't we have more than Detroit?
i always thought it was
Montreal
Us
Detroit
Chicago/Boston/NYR

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
who gives a flying crap what Vegas does? why are you looking for the tarnished side of the penny?
the team you cheer for is setting records. be happy in that, not depressed that another team who actually has a lot of good talent did better. for crying out loud.

If you took all 31 current NHL teams, where do you think Leafs personal best would rank overall for franchises?

A personal best Leafs mark in not all that impressive in the bigger picture of all NHL teams achievements.

That's all I'm saying. Not a bad thing to have a good year, so lets hope it transfers to playoff success.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
don't we have more than Detroit?
i always thought it was
Montreal
Us
Detroit
Chicago/Boston/NYR

Yes, that is what I said, 4 of the other 5. The fifth being Montreal. I worded it in a somewhat confusing way, but your cup rankings are correct (at least, as far as the top 3 go, don't know the last 3.)

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
The Leafs were in this position last year-trying to clinch with a few games to go.Bet the Devils will be gripping their sticks in the first period, need a strong forecheck to put them away.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If you took all 31 current NHL teams, where do you think Leafs personal best would rank overall for franchises?

A personal best Leafs mark in not all that impressive in the bigger picture of all NHL teams achievements.

That's all I'm saying. Not a bad thing to have a good year, so lets hope it transfers to playoff success.

but again who cares?
why do i care what other NHL teams achieve? If they set franchise records, good for them. that doesn't take away with what the Leafs did. it doesn't matter if it's impressive throughout the league. it's not an NHL achievement it's a Leafs achievement.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
but again who cares?
why do i care what other NHL teams achieve? If they set franchise records, good for them. that doesn't take away with what the Leafs did. it doesn't matter if it's impressive throughout the league. it's not an NHL achievement it's a Leafs achievement.
Sorry for jumping in.
Firstly I think of it as you do, but it was explained to me that some people judge their team by measuring them in various ways against the other teams in the league. I've never understood it unless it's a head to head comparison in games played against each other, not team records :dunno:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Sorry for jumping in.
Firstly I think of it as you do, but it was explained to me that some people judge their team by measuring them in various ways against the other teams in the league. I've never understood it unless it's a head to head comparison in games played against each other, not team records :dunno:

I think "who cares?" is still the proper rhetorical question for the particular post Daisy was quoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad