Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Laughs all the way to the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Leafs seem to be living a charmed life this season as everything generally tends to break in their favour even when outplayed and outshot.

Here Russel shots itin his own net with a minute left.

Their two young future core wingers are shooting below 10% (3.9% and 7.5%, respectively), their goalie had an October that rivaled Vesa Toskala, and their star #1 centre has been clearly hampered by a back injury for the prevailing part of a month.....and you think they're living a charmed life?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Great game by Nylander he was outstanding, looks like he is back to form and Matthews fighting a cold played well even when Todd McLellan, after the first period started matching McDavid's line agaist him, sometimes they put McDavid against Bozak's line but the majority of the Match up was against Matthews and even though McDavid scored against him the Hyman/Matthews/Brown line held their own and Hyman did a great job, shutting them down.

McLellan with the last change almost Got the Oil Back in the game and they even tied it but a bad clearing shot by Russell scoring on his own goal was the winning goal and lost them the game but we will take it and now it's on to Vancouver for Saturday's HNIC game.

I hope with a day off, Matthews can recover, he sure didn't sound good in the interview between periods, after scoring a goal early in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Leafs seem to be living a charmed life this season as everything generally tends to break in their favour even when outplayed and outshot.

Here Russel shots itin his own net with a minute left.

Get out of here. What about that goal the Oilers scored where hainsey couldn't even stand up so mcd was wide open? What about the goal none of the leafs even knew where the puck was?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Great game by Nylander he was outstanding, looks like he is back to form and Matthews fighting a cold played well even when Todd McLellan, after the first period started matching McDavid's line agaist him, sometimes they put McDavid against Bozak's line but the majority of the Match up was against Matthews and even though McDavid scored against him the Hyman/Matthews/Brown line held their own and Hyman did a great job, shutting them down.

McLellan with the last change almost Got the Oil Back in the game and they even tied it but a bad clearing shot by Russell scoring on his own goal was the winning goal and lost them the game but we will take it and now it's on to Vancouver for Saturday's HNIC game.

I hope with a day off, Matthews can recover, he sure didn't sound good in the interview between periods, after scoring a goal early in the game.

Played a good game start to finish.

4th. line carried the team.

PP was good and the own goal and empty netter were flukes.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Their two young future core wingers are shooting below 10% (3.9% and 7.5%, respectively), their goalie had an October that rivaled Vesa Toskala, and their star #1 centre has been clearly hampered by a back injury for the prevailing part of a month.....and you think they're living a charmed life?
DJQ is my spirit animal

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I guess you missed the Calgary game where it was just Step 1?

Teams aren't perfect. I don't like these lineups. I hate the fact that Roman Polak is in the lineup.

Did you see the heat map of shots we were taking and the shots they were taking? Big difference. Laurent Brossoit kept them in it. It should have been 5 or 6 goals just in the first alone.

We'll get better as we go along.

BTW, the biggest theme last year was blown leads. I don't think the Leafs have blown any lead this entire year after leading after the second period. We have lead the game after two periods ten times this year. We have won every single one of those 10 games.

I am okay if the biggest problem we fans have with the team is the lineup that is winning games.

it's like a collective. 13-2 and 1 or something insane like that.
this is why this whole "play a 60 minute games" irritates me. Ray brought it up. sometimes you get that, but most times the reason you get that is because the other team doesn't show up. (See Calgary). it's basically winning the period in my estimation, or trying to get to a point where you can get a point if you lost.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Played a good game start to finish.

4th. line carried the team.

PP was good and the own goal and empty netter were flukes.

I agree ULF and the entire 4th line carried the team at times, Moore and Martin along with Nylander played a great game however it's really good to see Nylander getting back to form.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The 4th lines for both teams were the best in the game.

Matthews vs McDavid was a wash.

Both of them are less than 100%.

The game needs both of them healthy ... people pay to see franchise talent. Of course some fans fill arena's with no talent but not south of the border.

Full arena's means higher cap.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Note the location of the giant blue blob:

0cc8b386-3cbe-4f12-b68f-dfaed1fbd10c.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Leafs weren't outplayed.

The Leafs beat them in score-adjusted corsi and demolished them in high danger chances and expected goals.

So Brossoit outplayed Andersen by a wide margin. Without the own goal he'd have been the star.

Oilers were probably worried about the Talbot injury, but maybe they'll be okay.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He had an early play that I really didn't like, and on the McDavid goal he misread the situation. With Hainsey down, he can't rush out to pressure a guy on the half-boards, not when there are two players going towards the net front.

Yeah, second viewing agrees with you here. Marleau and Kadri had a good game.
lol Rielly had no blame as his partner was laying in the ice and he rotated as he should.

He was easily the D man last night and him and Willy were our two best players.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That's odd, I thought they played rather well. Zaitsev led the team in ice time (by far), Gardiner blocked five shots, and both had positive relative Corsi%. Freeway also had two apples.
No they were horawful. They had easy matchups and were the reason why we almost losted the game. Number 22 is struggling with reads and miss assignments and like last year is dragging his partner down.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Zach Hyman is half way to his point totals from last season in only a third of the games played. Hyman has played well but the last two games have been unbelievably good.

He might have an outside shot at hitting 40 points despite zero PP minutes. Not bad for a player making ~2.25M.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
lol Rielly had no blame as his partner was laying in the ice and he rotated as he should.

He was easily the D man last night and him and Willy were our two best players.
You don't just go on doing the same thing when your partner is out of play. That's when you adapt and prioritize. Putting pressure on a guy at the half-boards who has the puck under full control with plenty of time to make a play comes way after tying up one of the two guys going to the front of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad