Friedman: Toronto looking to add to their d.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Call me crazy... but I'd take a different route.

William Nylander (Signed) & Matt Murray for Connor Murphy, Andreas Athanasiou (or Taylor Raddysh), and Tampa's 1st Round Pick.

Obviously depends on Nylander's willingness to sign with Chicago; but moves along the same lines of wanting to insulate Connor Bedard; and possibly help accelerate the rebuild.

Leafs fix their cap issues, find an ideal partner for Morgan Rielly, become extremely deep on the blueline (Rielly-Murphy, Brodie-Klingberg, McCabe-Liljgren, Giordano & Timmins upstairs), and get a decent depth scorer with some speed that you can probably rely on for 20+ goals.

That is a disgrace of a trade

Reactions: smitty10

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To Toronto
Lindholm
Zadorov

To Calgary
Nylander
Brodie
Lafferty

Assuming everybody involved signs extensions it makes a lot of sense.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
How would Leafs fans feel if Treliving traded Nylander + 1st for a good defender? Which player that would be i do not know, but would you feel like it is the right thing to do, or would you rather keep Nylander in there and go with lesser changes to the lineup? Also it is not Niilander, its Nylander.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
How would Leafs fans feel if Treliving traded Nylander + 1st for a good defender? Which player that would be i do not know, but would you feel like it is the right thing to do, or would you rather keep Nylander in there and go with lesser changes to the lineup? Also it is not Niilander, it’s Nylander.
Adding a 1 st to Nylander better return a hell of a defender . Given the lack of pics in general I don’t see this as a likely scenario .

Bond

May 10, 2012
To Toronto
Lindholm
Zadorov

To Calgary
Nylander
Brodie
Lafferty

Only makes sense for the Flames if they can get a top 6 center back in another trade which is doubtful

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
How would Leafs fans feel if Treliving traded Nylander + 1st for a good defender? Which player that would be i do not know, but would you feel like it is the right thing to do, or would you rather keep Nylander in there and go with lesser changes to the lineup? Also it is not Niilander, its Nylander.

....+ 1st...??

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
To Toronto
Lindholm
Zadorov

To Calgary
Nylander
Brodie
Lafferty

I don’t think Nylander signs in Calgary, just a gut feeling.

Nylander (signed)+3rd for Karlsson with 40% retained. If Nylander hasn’t actually been out in SJ much maybe he could be sold on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It's the first thing they talk about.

He (Friedman) mentions that Toronto is still looking at another dman and likely wants a tougher d man(maybe that was Boudreau who mentioned that)

He also postulated that Murray's health isn't really known.

Is Arizona looking to add to their D?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Matheson + Sean Farrell for Nylander (resigned) + Murray ??

Tor need cap space and can't resign Nylander.
Matheson is a great D better then Rielly imo.
They have plenty of cap space to re-sign Nylander. And the trade you are proposing is laughable.

Reactions: smitty10

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I don’t think Nylander signs in Calgary, just a gut feeling.

Nylander (signed)+3rd for Karlsson with 40% retained. If Nylander hasn’t actually been out in SJ much maybe he could be sold on it.
How is this a good fit for the Sharks?
Grier stated they traded Meier because the costs involved didn't make sense given where the team is/was.
What makes you think Nylander would sign an extension to play in SJ?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
How is this a good fit for the Sharks?
Grier stated they traded Meier because the costs involved didn't make sense given where the team is/was.
What makes you think Nylander would sign an extension to play in SJ?

Because then they don’t go after Pesce so Sabres can get him :thumbu:

• Haha

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Ah! It's all making sense now.
I'm feeling so sheepish right about now

I was somewhat serious with my proposal, but ya, it really doesn’t make sense. Would just be fun from an outsider’s perspective. Leafs sink or swim with EK, interesting storyline.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Matheson + Sean Farrell for Nylander (resigned) + Murray ??

Tor need cap space and can't resign Nylander.
Matheson is a great D better then Rielly imo.
You can't be serious? You must be joking right?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Adding a 1 st to Nylander better return a hell of a defender . Given the lack of pics in general I don’t see this as a likely scenario .
Nylander (extended) + 2024 1st shpuld bring back the best D-man to play for the leafs (better than current rielly whose in the 20-30 range for D in the league)

An elite ppg winger (top 15 in the league) at 8.5-9M and 1st rounder should get a top 10-15ishD in the league.

I would need someone very very good and well regarded. That type of player would not be dealt unless he asked out and toronto was at the top of his list

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Once again, this is very overblown and simplified by most people. Players can finesse where their place of "residency" is to alter what tax rates they pay on their signing bonuses. It's known that Matthews maintains a residency in Arizona, and pays Arizona/U.S. taxes on signing bonuses. This is something other players can manage too.

And still, American players pay the top federal tax rate of 37%. Higher than the top Canadian rate.

These players have access to the best tax avoidance strategies. They aren’t paying any more taxes than you or I are if they have any sense.

Side note: I thought with all of the wokeness online these days that people **wanted** everyone to pay more taxes? Especially rich people?

I would expect uproar over all these multi-millionaires avoiding paying taxes in places like Canada, which you could argue dried up governmental funds for important programs and squeezes most blood from the lower classes

Anyways, side note concluded

There is no way you’d have to add anything to a Nylander trade if you’re the maple leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad