Jan 29, 2015
Halifax
To Toronto

Jake Muzzin
2017 2nd Round Pick

To La

JVR (50% retained)
Matt Hunwick

Toronto gets a top pairing defenseman, who can be paired with Rielly(move Morgan to the right side). Toronot also retains on JVR to help LA cap next year. LA gets a top line winger to play with Kopitar, a defensman to replace Muzzin (in terms of an NHL body, no where near in terms of playing ability) and saves a little cap space this year, and over two million in cap savings next year.

[LA doesn't want to add the pick, remove the retention]

Who adds?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
toronto Muzzin has more value being top pairing defense man and signed longer then jvr No way does la add a 2nd\

ALSO No interest in Hunwick *any player your sending to la has to be over 6 feet tall period

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
To Toronto

Jake Muzzin
2017 2nd Round Pick

To La

JVR (50% retained)
Matt Hunwick

Toronto gets a top pairing defenseman, who can be paired with Rielly(move Morgan to the right side). Toronot also retains on JVR to help LA cap next year. LA gets a top line winger to play with Kopitar, a defensman to replace Muzzin (in terms of an NHL body, no where near in terms of playing ability) and saves a little cap space this year, and over two million in cap savings next year.

[LA doesn't want to add the pick, remove the retention]

Who adds?

I would do this one, which probably means that LA doesn't.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It's an interesting proposal. FWIW Bob MacKenzie and others have stated that JVR is now off the market so the whole discussion may be moot. JVR has been playing very well, perhaps the best of his career that I can recall, so he is very valuable to the Leafs as they push for the playoffs. Of course, that would also make him a desirable trade commodity.

It looks as if Babcock values JVR highly but it is reasonable to suppose Babcock also thinks highly of Muzzin. After all, his group surprised most of us by naming Muzzin to Team Canada. His team friendly contract is a real plus. On the other hand, so to speak, I think the Leafs would prefer a right hand shot, if possible.

JVR could be valuable to the Kings if they think they have one more serious Cup run in the present team. His contract is team friendly also, but not as long in term as Muzzin's. The two players are the same age.

I don't think the add ons are quite right, but the basics of a potential trade are there, IMO, if the teams wanted to explore this. But neither team might be interested in trading the key player.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
JVR is UFA after next season, Muzz makes 4m per till 2020. no way and no thanks. if Toronto wants good defense theyll have to give up more than that

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
100 games of JVR and 30 games of Hunwick for 3.5 seasons of Muzzin in his prime. AND a 2nd going from LA to Tor? Yuck.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
La counters with

Muzzin
for
Kadri and 2 3rds

Agree

Why would the Kings trade a top pairing D with 3.5 year term for a winger who has 1.5 years of term?

Positional value is greater for a D

Contract value is great with Muzzin

OP totally favours the Leafs big time, highly doubt Kings even remotely consider it.

Kadri at least offers term, even though he isnt a true 1C.....more of a good 2C. Kadri deal is closer in value then jvr.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
JVR is UFA after next season, Muzz makes 4m per till 2020. no way and no thanks. if Toronto wants good defense theyll have to give up more than that

Agreed

Another thread from Leafs trying to get D while under paying.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Agree

Why would the Kings trade a top pairing D with 3.5 year term for a winger who has 1.5 years of term?

Positional value is greater for a D

Contract value is great with Muzzin

OP totally favours the Leafs big time, highly doubt Kings even remotely consider it.

Kadri at least offers term, even though he isnt a true 1C.....more of a good 2C. Kadri deal is closer in value then jvr.

Not sure id even keep him at center to be honest I could see him moving up to play with Kopitar adding grit to the line with gaborik

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
100 games of JVR and 30 games of Hunwick for 3.5 seasons of Muzzin in his prime. AND a 2nd going from LA to Tor? Yuck.

i totally agree, not a good deal from L.A

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Yup, that's why he's in every T.O proposal.
He's in every proposal because he's one of the more movable pieces on the 23-man roster right now. You can say he's not an ideal or overly-valuable target due to his contract situation, but you can't say he's a scrap piece.

Players who are better replaced from within are scraps. Hunwick, Polak, and Smith fall in that category.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I think a deal around Kadri and Muzzin would be pretty fair and serve both teams. Toronto would probably have to add a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad