Friedman: "Toronto is making A LOT of calls right now"

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
i don't think that was a mistake, that was a choice. it was a big choice in changing the organization's direction but that choice should have come with the acceptance one of the '3' had to go

Yeah, this is a good analysis of the situation IMO. Signing Tavares was an acceleration of the process of becoming more competitive, with the knowledge that you're going to lose one of your big-time young guys down the road, but you're still set up long-term with JT, Marner and Matthews (presumably Nylander is the odd man out here, but YMMV). That's hardly a bad thing.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, this is a good analysis of the situation IMO. Signing Tavares was an acceleration of the process of becoming more competitive, with the knowledge that you're going to lose one of your big-time young guys down the road, but you're still set up long-term with JT, Marner and Matthews (presumably Nylander is the odd man out here, but YMMV). That's hardly a bad thing.
We have no idea if one has to go.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Yes, Marner, Matthews were also rookies Reilly was only 22 (not a rookie though) obviously Kadri and Babcock were not. Still Nylander is a better player than Hayes. What is Boesser going to sign for 8.5?

I'm already 90% sure lockout is coming, but if contracts are CONSISTENTLY bad this offseason (Panarin, Marner, Point, Gardiner, Bob, Laine, Tkachuk, etc.) then I'm 99%

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm already 90% sure lockout is coming, but if contracts are CONSISTENTLY bad this offseason (Panarin, Marner, Point, Gardiner, Bob, Laine, Tkachuk, etc.) then I'm 99%
Yeah, maybe. It wouldn't surprise me. They are not going to follow my advice and get rid of the salary cap. I am certain of that.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
haha

Florida, I can see improving, but they're fringe playoffs at best.

Montreal??? No. they'll be trashheap bottom of the standings material.

Yet they finnished 4 points behind the 2019 stanley cup winners leafs.

Oops july 1st 2018, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions.

Reactions: SteveH124

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Sounds like Marner could singlehandedly close the Leafs' window right before it opens. If I were the Leafs I'd be looking into a hockey trade shipping Marner out. Get the defenceman they need, a top scoring forward(a level below Marner), keep Kapanen, Johnsson, Brown, Kadri, etc., and remove the distraction.
One of the tweets mentioned they’re not afraid of “bold action”, no?

I was actually thinking this, if they don’t want to commit a short term 11mil deal when he probably won’t quite be worth it half the years, or even more $ from an offer sheet, trade him for a different good player? Or is losing Marner just unthinkable

That he will only take max money now, and only for a shorter deal sounds like every contract he gets in the future he’s going to demand the ceiling, wherever it is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad