Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto FC set to name interim coach for remainder of MLS season - TSN.ca

Toronto FC expects to name an interim coach for the remainder of the MLS season in the next couple of days.

Assistant coach Javier Perez, who was in charge of Toronto's 3-2 win in New England on Wednesday, would seem the logical choice.

Initially club management only said Perez would take charge of that game, with the team not playing again until July 17. But Perez said after Wednesday's win that he would be guiding the team next time out.

"My next challenge is July 17 at home — and (to) get three points there," said the 44-year-old Spaniard. "So if the management doesn't communicate to me anything different, I will be taking that challenge."

Perez got a vote of confidence Thursday from GM Ali Curtis.

"The team responded to Javi and the moment in a great way, and took a result in one of the toughest places to play in MLS," Curtis said in a text to The Canadian Press. "(The) goal is to name a permanent interim (coach) prior to Monday training, likely before that."

The victory in New England snapped a six-game losing and seven-game winless streak for Toronto which fired first-year coach Chris Armas on Sunday in the wake of a club-record 7-1 defeat at D.C. United.

"The credit is to the players," Perez said after the rebound win Wednesday.

Perez, who joined Toronto's coaching staff in February, spent the four previous seasons as an assistant coach with New York City FC. Previously he was with U.S. Soccer for four years, serving as head coach of the under-18 team and an assistant with the senior side and under-20 squad.

Before coming to the U.S. in 2007, Perez spent six years at Real Madrid as a head coach for its youth teams from under-nine to under-19.

His qualifications include a UEFA Pro Licence, UEFA `"A'' Licence and a Ph.D. in sports science from Universidad De Leon in Spain.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006

Toronto FC expects to name an interim coach for the remainder of the MLS season in the next couple of days.

Assistant coach Javier Perez, who was in charge of Toronto's 3-2 win in New England on Wednesday, would seem the logical choice.

Initially club management only said Perez would take charge of that game, with the team not playing again until July 17. But Perez said after Wednesday's win that he would be guiding the team next time out.

"My next challenge is July 17 at home — and (to) get three points there," said the 44-year-old Spaniard. "So if the management doesn't communicate to me anything different, I will be taking that challenge."

"The team responded to Javi and the moment in a great way, and took a result in one of the toughest places to play in MLS," Curtis said in a text to The Canadian Press. "(The) goal is to name a permanent interim (coach) prior to Monday training, likely before that."

The victory in New England snapped a six-game losing and seven-game winless streak for Toronto which fired first-year coach Chris Armas on Sunday in the wake of a club-record 7-1 defeat at D.C. United.

Perez, who joined Toronto's coaching staff in February, spent the four previous seasons as an assistant coach with New York City FC. Previously he was with U.S. Soccer for four years, serving as head coach of the under-18 team and an assistant with the senior side and under-20 squad.

Before coming to the U.S. in 2007, Perez spent six years at Real Madrid as a head coach for its youth teams from under-nine to under-19.

His qualifications include a UEFA Pro Licence, UEFA `"A'' Licence and a Ph.D. in sports science from Universidad De Leon in Spain.
Pay the man, and give him the reigns, preferably a 2.5 yr deal. His qualifications read very well.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I hope Perez ends up being the man for the job. Let him take over for the rest of the year and then make a decision in the off-season. If Perez does well the job is his, but it seems early to commit to him for 2.5 years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

6 years at Real wow he must be very good .. winners win

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I hope Perez ends up being the man for the job. Let him take over for the rest of the year and then make a decision in the off-season. If Perez does well the job is his, but it seems early to commit to him for 2.5 years.
The idea would kind of be to secure him while still not committing long term. I’ve read rumblings that a number of clubs could be after him.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Seriously, deciding your championship with a shootout? Why??

I don't get the hype with soccer. The goalie literally has to guess where the ball is going, because they shoot from so close? What a dumb sport.

Totally. I find after all these many years they cant be more creative. Shitty for the team losing. Why not have a mini game or a breakaway shootout even. Brutal. Or just play until someone scores. Forces more offense?

My whole family played and i still think soccer is way over rated.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Altidore expected back in training with TFC - TSN.ca

TORONTO — It appears the Jozy Altidore impasse with Toronto FC is over.

GM Ali Curtis said the star striker was expected back in full training with the team Monday, TFCs first session at its north Toronto practice facility since returning last week from the U.S. Thanks to loosened travel restrictions for those fully vaccinated, the MLS club flew north after last Wednesday's 3-2 win at New England.

An announcement on TFC's return to BMO Field is also expected soon. The club has not played at home since Sept. 1, 2020, finishing last season in East Hartford, Conn., and starting this year in Orlando.

Toronto's next game is a home matchup July 17 against Orlando

Altidore has been on the outs with Toronto in the wake of a confrontation with former coach Chris Armas when the striker was substituted in the 70th minute of a 1-0 loss to Orlando City. The 31-year-old Altidore has trained on his own, away from the first team, ever since.

Armas has since been fired, paying the price for a 1-8-2 start to the season. The club is now under the guidance of assistant coach Javier Perez, who oversaw the win over New England.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Rumours that they're announcing this afternoon that 15K will be allowed at BMO for Saturday. Can't wait if true.
Holy smokes that is exciting. I'm at the cottage this weekend so I wouldn't be able to go., but excited for those who could be in the stands.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looks like TFC may be waiting a little longer. Hard to believe the Feds need this much time to come to a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad