Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This season is becoming dark real quick. Going to need guys to step up and just keep us in the playoff race until we can get some injured guys back.
I DEMAND they keep Armas on the job until after the rescheduled Canadian Championship vs Forge takes place!

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Very on board with that Armas going out after losing to a CanPL team would be two wins in one

kb

Aug 28, 2009
"Christian Eriksen, the collapsed Danish national team player plays for Inter Milan. It seems the whole team had been vaccinated."

erikson.jpg

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Canadian men advance to final round of World Cup qualifying for first time in 24 years

Canada final round World Cup qualifying first first time in 24 years - TSN.ca

I'm sorry but I can't think of how this is accidental. The keeper was born in Canada to boot :laugh: Apparently he made big stops throughout the game though.

It's really pathetic this is not on a major network, though the coverage is good it seems (Andi Petrillo, KJ, etc.).

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It's really pathetic this is not on a major network, though the coverage is good it seems (Andi Petrillo, KJ, etc.).

I am with you man! Wondering if TSN might get onboard with coverage of the Final Qualifying round? Or does Onesoccer.ca actually have exclusive rights? I somehow doubt this to be the case, as Canada Soccer I am sure would love to be on TV.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I am with you man! Wondering if TSN might get onboard with coverage of the Final Qualifying round? Or does Onesoccer.ca actually have exclusive rights? I somehow doubt this to be the case, as Canada Soccer I am sure would love to be on TV.

Heck, CBC should carry it in my opinion.

I really hope TSN picks it up, they have the structure for soccer coverage with MLS and EURO rights.

Reactions: wingman75

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I also question that goal keeper etc, it was so ridiculous it looked planned. Unbelievable. Anyways what are the chances we make the World Cup? In my lifetime i think I remember canada making a world cup once and the odds of them scoring a goal were slim to nill. When was the last time canada made a world cup?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
fwiw in regards to the TV rights, TSN/Sportsnet offered to broadcast national team matches for free, while the deal with OneSoccer is worth $200M over 10 years including both the national team and the CPL. There is plenty of blame to go around here.

IIRC OneSoccer did sublicense the Canada/USA Nations League game back in October '19 to TSN so that is not out of the realm of possibility.

I also question that goal keeper etc, it was so ridiculous it looked planned. Unbelievable. Anyways what are the chances we make the World Cup? In my lifetime i think I remember canada making a world cup once and the odds of them scoring a goal were slim to nill. When was the last time canada made a world cup?

Would say a lot of it depends on the border situation. You can guarantee that every other country in the region will be playing in full stadiums - meanwhile its still unclear if we'll have fans (or even play in Canada) for the September round against Honduras/El Salvador where six points from those two matches are a necessity.

Think our talent level is pretty much in the mid-point of the group, so there's definitely a chance.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

We got a real good chance this year.

We have 3 superstar caliber players that are champions in Europe (Davies, David, Larin). We have never had this much attacking talent in our history. Our forwards are best in North America right now.

The rest of the team is depth players that have high upside but low experience. It will be tough to compete against the Mexican or US midfield, but against everyone else, it should hold up.

I would say we can get a top 3 finish in the octagon and comfortably qualify

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
In the (unofficial) live FIFA rankings we are 5th right now. This will change based on the Gold Cup results of course.

CONCACAF
1 (12) Mexico (MEX)
2 (16) USA (USA)
3 (44) Jamaica (JAM)
4 (49) Costa Rica (CRC)
5 (62) Canada (CAN)
6 (65) El Salvador (SLV)
7 (68) Honduras (HON)
8 (73) Panama (PAN)

Excited for the Gold Cup as a warm up for the fall/winter Octo!!

@Duffman955, I love your confidence!

Reactions: Duffman955

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto

He is more of a depth move then anything else but its good to cap tie him the guys I am really looking forward to is marcelo Florence and Daniel jebbison will be really important to cap tie them, odds are of akinola making are main roster now and in future are slim

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What an absolutely embarrasing final 10 minutes. To make it worse, Mullins started the scoring for Nashville.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That was....something. The team is hard to watch these days, especially with everything else going on in the sport's world.
NHL Playoffs, Copa America, Euro by day, NBA Playoffs, etc. Makes it tough for sure.

I'm following and hoping they can figure it out in time to sneak into the playoffs, but at this point I have little faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad