Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really underwhelming game. Yeah we we short manned, that is not an excise for the level of play we brought.

Who knows, maybe an ass kicking will serve us well down the stretch.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Meh, we were tired and missing 5 starters. Overdue for a butt whooping.

We'll be ok.
Agreed. I'm not going to look into it too much.

The only real issue, which to me has been an issue for some time now, is Gallardo. One of the worse 'big' TFC signings if you ask me.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Agreed. I'm not going to look into it too much.

The only real issue, which to me has been an issue for some time now, is Gallardo. One of the worse 'big' TFC signings if you ask me.

Gallardo looks like a miss, but to their credit, the current management regime has hit on all their other acquisitions.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Gallardo looks like a miss, but to their credit, the current management regime has hit on all their other acquisitions.
Umm there have been a few more misses; Boyd, Aketxe and Van van der Wiel come to mind in recent years. All of these names came with decent pedigree; Boyd (Leipzig), Aketxe (Athletic Bilbao) van der Wiel (Ajax, Netherlands international, PSG, Fenerbahce). All were underwhelming and never really found their groove or fit into the squad too well. I think it shows management is willing to spend big on the name and past experience even if it's not the best fit for TFC. In a lot of these cases it would have been better to get some more MLS experience or promote from within and create depth that way.

Not saying management is doing a poor job or anything. I love what we have done the past couple years and both Poz and Piatti have been major hits. But sometimes the no DP marquee signings leave a lot to be desired.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Umm there have been a few more misses; Boyd, Aketxe and Van van der Wiel come to mind in recent years. All of these names came with decent pedigree; Boyd (Leipzig), Aketxe (Athletic Bilbao) van der Wiel (Ajax, Netherlands international, PSG, Fenerbahce). All were underwhelming and never really found their groove or fit into the squad too well. I think it shows management is willing to spend big on the name and past experience even if it's not the best fit for TFC. In a lot of these cases it would have been better to get some more MLS experience or promote from within and create depth that way.

Not saying management is doing a poor job or anything. I love what we have done the past couple years and both Poz and Piatti have been major hits. But sometimes the no DP marquee signings leave a lot to be desired.

I was referring to after Ali Curtis took over.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I was referring to after Ali Curtis took over.
Yes Ali has done a great job, however, most of the staff around him are the same, and the board has a clear directive when it comes to the market. Not a hit on Curtis, just don't know if the philosophy behind moves will change too much.

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006

I certainly can’t argue with Boyd and Aketxe, but VDW was a decent player. I guess part of the assessment is whether they will fit within the system but I remember him having a pretty good impact on our play. Similar to Mavinga, brought in as more of a fullback but played very well as a central defender.
Also it’s kind of crazy that Aketxe has little to no impact with TFC but has rebounded well in the Segunda.
Very glad this thread has been pinned too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad