Proposal: Toronto - Edmonton

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Interesting, which 3C did you have in mind?
Pageau is ideal. Right hand shot, PK, hits, affordable and is putting up points.
I would take Spezza over Kerfoot if dealing with TML. Checks off more boxes even if he isn't a 3C.
Archibald-Sheahan-Kassian is good enough a 3rd line for EDM. Kerfoot would likely be a winger in EDM.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Nailed it!

Give us Kapanan and the improvement in our Top 6 might be offset by losing Larsson (and I hope, gaining Bouchard who is on fire in the AHL in 2020).

It's a gamble but it might payoff immediately. Especially with McD out and us desperately needing a guy like Kapanan.

If Larsson was signed until 2022 I would've done Kapanen for Larsson, but the year less of control makes it not worth it from the leafs end.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pageau is ideal. Right hand shot, PK, hits, affordable and is putting up points.
I would take Spezza over Kerfoot if dealing with TML. Checks off more boxes even if he isn't a 3C.
Archibald-Sheahan-Kassian is good enough a 3rd line for EDM. Kerfoot would likely be a winger in EDM.

Pageau would be ideal for the Oilers and is easily worth a protected 1st IMO. I doubt he gets moved for anything less than a 1st.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Edmonton also needs a LW more the a RW so to me Johnsson is a better fit although I think Larsson has more value to a team fighting for a playoff spot .

Kerfoot + Johnsson for
Larsson + 2nd
Kapanen has played both sides too fwiw, probably better as a RW but when he can beat someone outside and get a clean chance on net the one thing he is fairly good at finishing-wise is finishing to the top right corner just like he did the other night against ARZ.

I'd be good with a trade like what you're proposing whether it was Johnsson or Kapanen, it's too bad that Mikheyev got hurt because he also kills penalties which would have made the benefit of Kapanen doing the same sort of moot.

You might be right. I still want Kapanan though. He's the player I crave the most right now for the Oil as I like his age, contract and potential. I also really like that he's Finnish as I hope Jesse P comes back and can help out too.. maybe they are buddies.

I think, most agree, that Kapanan would look great on McDavid's wing (when he's back) and that he's underutilized in TO?
I think you would be much, much happier with Johnsson honestly - he got a late start because of an undiagnosed athsma problem so his career path looks odd. But he had some crazy underlying numbers in very limited minutes last year, I really think he turns into a 1st line winger in a vacuum. If I was choosing one of these guys to ride shotgun with a center that was going to carry the puck a lot and give it to them in places that they can be dangerous if they unload it quickly and accurately, it's Johnsson by a landslide. I think you'd be disappointed when Kapanen hit the goalie in the logo or flubbed the shot the first 10 times, Johnsson is very good in the home plate area despite being shorter.

Kapanen's Finnish by birth, but I believe he spent all of his formative years in the cities that his dad was playing, you'd think he was American when you hear him talk (plus he sort of looks like Adam Banks).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kapanen has played both sides too fwiw, probably better as a RW but when he can beat someone outside and get a clean chance on net the one thing he is fairly good at finishing-wise is finishing to the top right corner just like he did the other night against ARZ.

I'd be good with a trade like what you're proposing whether it was Johnsson or Kapanen, it's too bad that Mikheyev got hurt because he also kills penalties which would have made the benefit of Kapanen doing the same sort of moot.

I think you would be much, much happier with Johnsson honestly - he got a late start because of an undiagnosed athsma problem so his career path looks odd. But he had some crazy underlying numbers in very limited minutes last year, I really think he turns into a 1st line winger in a vacuum. If I was choosing one of these guys to ride shotgun with a center that was going to carry the puck a lot and give it to them in places that they can be dangerous if they unload it quickly and accurately, it's Johnsson by a landslide. I think you'd be disappointed when Kapanen hit the goalie in the logo or flubbed the shot the first 10 times, Johnsson is very good in the home plate area despite being shorter.

Kapanen's Finnish by birth, but I believe he spent all of his formative years in the cities that his dad was playing, you'd think he was American when you hear him talk (plus he sort of looks like Adam Banks).

Why wouldn't the Leafs be happier with holding onto Johnsson (vs Kapanen) then? For all the selling points you provided above, you would think that you would be happy to deal Kapenen.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Why wouldn't the Leafs be happier with holding onto Johnsson (vs Kapanen) then? For all the selling points you provided above, you would think that you would be happy to deal Kapenen.
Kapanen kills penalties, with Mikheyev hurt we're down to 4 forwards who regularly kill penalties including Kapanen. That's alluded to in the post you quoted.

with a healthy Mikheyev, my personal strong preference is to keep Johnsson and trade Kapanen

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kapanen kills penalties, with Mikheyev hurt we're down to 4 forwards who regularly kill penalties including Kapanen. That's alluded to in the post you quoted.

with a healthy Mikheyev, my personal strong preference is to keep Johnsson and trade Kapanen

I think most teams GM's would want the more productive player. Kapanen is far more productive than Johnsson.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think most teams GM's would want the more productive player. Kapanen is far more productive than Johnsson.
I see you've managed to look at hockeydb for this year only. Kapanen has never been close to as productive as Johnsson was last year on a per minute basis (which was very impressive fwiw, Johnsson had low end 1st line production in less than 14 mins/night), and Johnsson's career has been notably more productive as a whole. Johnsson was also slowed by an injury earlier this year, appears to be getting back to form now, has 5 in his last 7 games and is looking like himself again.

I'd encourage you to watch the two guys play, it will get obvious pretty quickly. I'm not saying that Kapanen is a bad player either, he can be used in all situations and will be a net positive in any of them, he's just not offensively efficient & I don't see it improving because it looks like a processing speed issue to me. If he's ever going to be an offensive star, it will be the way that Jason Blake did it - high volume, low conversion.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I see you've managed to look at hockeydb for this year only. Kapanen has never been close to as productive as Johnsson was last year on a per minute basis (which was very impressive fwiw, Johnsson had low end 1st line production in less than 14 mins/night), and Johnsson's career has been notably more productive as a whole. Johnsson was also slowed by an injury earlier this year, appears to be getting back to form now, has 5 in his last 7 games and is looking like himself again.

I'd encourage you to watch the two guys play, it will get obvious pretty quickly. I'm not saying that Kapanen is a bad player either, he can be used in all situations and will be a net positive in any of them, he's just not offensively efficient & I don't see it improving because it looks like a processing speed issue to me. If he's ever going to be an offensive star, it will be the way that Jason Blake did it - high volume, low conversion.

Well then, i would prefer the "lesser" player in Kapanen and you should be very much obliged to trade this lesser player. Problem solved.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Oilers RH D depth is:

Larsson
Bear
Benning
Caleb Jones playing his weak side
Evan Bouchard in AHL

The Oilers are in a playoff spot, in a tight race. What team in their right minds would trade their top 4 RH shot veteran D man and willingly play two rookies down the stretch?? It’d have to be a hell of a deal and, no, Johnsson doesnt move the needle. Kapanen is more tempting, but I wouldn’t even do that. Toronto needs to look elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad