Proposal: Toronto - Edmonton

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Most Oiler fans wanted kapanen for Larrson

Most leaf fans wanted Larrson for Johnsson

And thats where the fight begins and ends
Nailed it!

Give us Kapanan and the improvement in our Top 6 might be offset by losing Larsson (and I hope, gaining Bouchard who is on fire in the AHL in 2020).

It's a gamble but it might payoff immediately. Especially with McD out and us desperately needing a guy like Kapanan.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Leaf fans thinking they can obtain Larsson for Johnson as a base, is as outlandish as Oiler fans thinking they can get Kerfoot for Benning.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nailed it!

Give us Kapanan and the improvement in our Top 6 might be offset by losing Larsson (and I hope, gaining Bouchard who is on fire in the AHL in 2020).

It's a gamble but it might payoff immediately. Especially with McD out and us desperately needing a guy like Kapanan.
fwiw, Johnsson is a better player for top 6 duties than Kapanen - he's way, way more efficient in creating and finishing opportunities. He's also near Kapanen's speed and a very good 2 way player. The only reason that I would be more willing to trade Johnsson from a Leafs pov is that Kapanen kills penalties.

I've seen this point of contention come up a lot in Oilers/Leafs threads but I think you would be surprised with what you got in both cases. Kapanen does something pretty every now and again, and he creates a ton of opportunity (and catches a lot of rushes on the backcheck) with his legs, but his brain just doesn't move at the same speed as his feet or hands so he misfires or hits the goalie in the logo a lot from areas that he should be scoring a lot. He makes up for it in the volume of chances that he creates with his legs, but he's not efficient

Reactions: Saint Blue

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not now. And Kokkonen is having a horrible D+1. Besides that, lefties aren’t wanted.

Watch a lot of Finnish Elite League hockey do ya? Looks to me like he's playing on a historically bad team which produces next to no offense. Bit tough to judge him considering his situation, unless you're streaming his Finnish league games on a regular basis.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Darren, you mentioned the Leafs, the Oilers, right handed third pairing defensemen and Alex Kerfoot. Do the math.

He totally did this. I understand he is trying to backpedal and say he didn't imply that a deal would be made here, only he absolutely implied that.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Most Oiler fans wanted kapanen for Larrson

Most leaf fans wanted Larrson for Johnsson

And thats where the fight begins and ends
This Leafs fan would do Kapanen for Larsson. But some Oilers fans have said in the offseason...for me, it would need to be now or no dice.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
fwiw, Johnsson is a better player for top 6 duties than Kapanen - he's way, way more efficient in creating and finishing opportunities. He's also near Kapanen's speed and a very good 2 way player. The only reason that I would be more willing to trade Johnsson from a Leafs pov is that Kapanen kills penalties.

I've seen this point of contention come up a lot in Oilers/Leafs threads but I think you would be surprised with what you got in both cases. Kapanen does something pretty every now and again, and he creates a ton of opportunity (and catches a lot of rushes on the backcheck) with his legs, but his brain just doesn't move at the same speed as his feet or hands so he misfires or hits the goalie in the logo a lot from areas that he should be scoring a lot. He makes up for it in the volume of chances that he creates with his legs, but he's not efficient

Edmonton also needs a LW more the a RW so to me Johnsson is a better fit although I think Larsson has more value to a team fighting for a playoff spot .

Kerfoot + Johnsson for
Larsson + 2nd

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Literally no Oiler fans thought we could get a 3C for Benning

That's not true after reading the trade proposals in the Oiler forums and the thread that was recently locked on page 2. There were Oiler fans who thought they could get a 3C for Benning. Your use of the word literally, is literally false.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Johnsson is a better player for top 6 duties than Kapanen
You might be right. I still want Kapanan though. He's the player I crave the most right now for the Oil as I like his age, contract and potential. I also really like that he's Finnish as I hope Jesse P comes back and can help out too.. maybe they are buddies.

I think, most agree, that Kapanan would look great on McDavid's wing (when he's back) and that he's underutilized in TO?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Leaf fans thinking they can obtain Larsson for Johnson as a base, is as outlandish as Oiler fans thinking they can get Kerfoot for Benning.
Oilers fans don't want Kerfoot. Hopefully Holland is aiming higher with an asset bigger than Benning.
Has size, is cheap, good on dot, scoring goals = No

Oilers need cap space more than the Leafs.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That's not true after reading the trade proposals in the Oiler forums and the thread that was recently locked on page 2. There were Oiler fans who thought they could get a 3C for Benning. Your use of the word literally, is literally false.

There were comments of aiming higher as a 3C, not specifically with Benning in mind. The few Oil regulars who commented said you don't want Benning in your top 4. Nobody said they wanted a better player for Matt Benning.

Reactions: ivanlwan

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Don’t move Benning for Johnsson
Hes pretty good and cheap
Leafs fans don’t realize how hard it is for an Oiler D to be +33 for his career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->