Proposal: Toronto - Detroit

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Unfortunately this trade fits Detroit’s needs very poorly. Defense is their weak link and Hronek appears to be a legitimate 3/4 floor with a #2 upside who can pointman a PP on either the 1st or 2nd unit. He and Cholowski are the guys who the team will rebuild the defense around in all likelihood.

Detroit has too many wingers already so Kapanen, while an excellent player, doesn’t really offer a giant improvement. Next season you are looking at Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou as young wingers on the team. Then you have Svechnikov (was on the team before blowing out his knee) and Zadina at the very least knocking on the door for next year. Throw in Rasmussen, who may play wing next year still, and that’s a heck of a lot of youth and high draft capital in the winger spot. Kapanen would be a luxury, not really a need.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As has been said already, the deal makes little sense for Detroit.

Hronek and Cholowski are probably the two most promising D prospects they've had in something like 15 years and that's a position of need. They're also loaded at wing, so they don't really need a top wing prospect if it's at the expense of a top D prospect.

Kapanen or the 2nd by themselves for Glendening makes more sense.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I know little about the Detroit players involved but three things about Kappy. First off, I believe the leafs have stated that Kappy isn't in their trade plans. Second, if he were to be, the only return would be a guarenteed top 4 Dman. The third thing is I believe that the Leafs think that Kappy is a dangerous enough player to want to trade out of the division and maybe even conference. I know I wouldn't want to play him 4x a year and then add playoffs into the mix.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Actually surprised Glendenning hasn’t been traded to Toronto yet. Before Hyman it was Luke Glendenning who received Babcocks unconditional love.

Based on precedent, I think the Leafs trade their second for him at the deadline. The rest of this trade doesn’t make sense for either team.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
As has been said already, the deal makes little sense for Detroit.

Hronek and Cholowski are probably the two most promising D prospects they've had in something like 15 years and that's a position of need. They're also loaded at wing, so they don't really need a top wing prospect if it's at the expense of a top D prospect.

Kapanen or the 2nd by themselves for Glendening makes more sense.
Agree with all but the last part. Kapanen holds significantly more value IMO. A 2nd would be a very good return for Luke Glendenning whose realistically a 4th liner, albeit a very good one.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Sorry, I mean would you trade Mantha and 2nd for Hronek+Glendenning equivalents

I wouldn’t trade Hronek for Mantha. If you want comparisons, FWIW, I wouldn’t trade Hronek for Dermott. Hronek has significantly outproduced Dermott at every level and is a year younger.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I wouldn’t trade Hronek for Mantha. If you want comparisons, FWIW, I wouldn’t trade Hronek for Dermott. Hronek has significantly outproduced Dermott at every level and is a year younger.

Interesting. Tbh I just wanted to see how you were valuing Kappy, who's development track is quite similar to Mantha's from U21 on.

@newfy had it right, deals just not a fit

Reactions: newfy

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting. Tbh I just wanted to see how you were valuing Kappy, who's development track is quite similar to Mantha's from U21 on.

I like Kapanen quite a bit. Would love him next to Larkin. They would do great on the forecheck together.

Reactions: sparxx87

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
:wings

Kasperi Kappanen
2nd '19

:leafs I think if Kappenen gets traded its to the Hurricanes for a top end defenseman. Hronek and Cholowski are benchmarks for Detroits back end for the future. I could see maybe Dekeyser being traded or maybe Jensen??

Filip Hronek
Luke Glendening

Thoughts?

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
No to Hronek...

Jensen and Glendening for 1st rd pick. I see Kappenen getting traded to Hurricanes for a top D-man.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Detroit adds a middle 6 winger, which they have a surplus of, and gives up one of their talented young D-men, which they lack.

BRILLIANT!

giphy.gif

Don't be so selfish, this thread is about helping the Leafs :sarcasm:. Now give them another piece.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Even if they're on a similar path, this is more about needs vs. surplus.

Detroit needs D and has a surplus of good young wingers. Giving up Hronek for Kapanen makes no sense.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The two players in Detroit who could be moved and I’d jump at the opportunity to acquire would be Glendening and Trevor Daley. Would prefer Green but looks like he’s locked in to stay in Detroit by his own choice.

Daley for a first and 3rd. The D market is thin and Daley’s experience and ability transitionally can eat up some good minutes. Also relieves some pressure to resign Gardner.

Glendening for a Adam Brooks type and a later pick. Maybe if Detroit is interested I’d even part with Ian Scott.

Adding two very good depth players for the run this spring without giving up a ton. That first is 25th or later probably. They can afford it for Daley at another year as Sandin and TL develop.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The two players in Detroit who could be moved and I’d jump at the opportunity to acquire would be Glendening and Trevor Daley. Would prefer Green but looks like he’s locked in to stay in Detroit by his own choice.

Daley for a first and 3rd. The D market is thin and Daley’s experience and ability transitionally can eat up some good minutes. Also relieves some pressure to resign Gardner.

Glendening for a Adam Brooks type and a later pick. Maybe if Detroit is interested I’d even part with Ian Scott.

Adding two very good depth players for the run this spring without giving up a ton. That first is 25th or later probably. They can afford it for Daley at another year as Sandin and TL develop.

Nobody in their right mind is moving a 1st round pick for Daley

Reactions: winger7020

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad