Proposal: Toronto-Columbus

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Not a big fan of Kadri so Id rather go for a different direction. If we want a C it would be better to Wennberg+ for a legit C.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Don't believe there's enough coming to Toronto. It's not something we can't work with, but I'd prefer to see how the current group of centres for the Leafs look like this season before making any changes.

Reactions: OmniCube and Viqsi

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So here's a possibility that came to mind that I figured might be worth some discussion. Opted to keep it fairly simple.

To Toronto:
David Savard (27, RD, 3yrs/$4.25m)

To Columbus:
Nazem Kadri (27, C, 4yrs/$4.5m)

Pros for Toronto:
With the addition of John Tavares (!), Kadri suddenly has a much reduced role on the Leafs, to the point that he just might be expendable. RD is a significant area of need, and while Savard isn't a #1D, he can play on a top pair with a good partner and not be totally out of place, AND he's excellent defensively, so he would likely do just fine alongside someone like Rielly (or possibly Gardiner, if folks haven't completely given up on him yet :) ). This doesn't exactly solve all of Toronto's blueline issues, but it should go a long way towards helping.

Pros for Columbus:
Nutivaara's just been getting better and better, so a top-4 guy can likely be spared - and with this approach, center depth goes from a weak point to an overwhelming strength. Kadri's not a #1C, but he definitely is one of the better two-way scoring center values in the League right now, and so he'd be able to push both Wennberg and/or PLD as needed. Also, this would enable World's Most Hated Line combinations by putting Dubinsky on his wing... ;)

Cons for Toronto:
There's not much in the way of quality proven centers on the Leafs after Matthews/Tavares/Kadri, and while one of Nylander or Marleau could be moved over they're kind of needed at wing. So, in essence, this makes the Leafs even more top-heavy - and it nips in the bud the sheer awesomeness potential of having those three guys as your top 3 centers. That sort of thing can work out when you've got a pair of franchise centers, but it's a risk, and the question is whether or not someone like Savard is worth that risk.

Cons for Columbus:
RD is already a tad thin, and this thins it even further. The Jackets would almost certainly be obliged to go shopping, although there are some options still out there on the market that would possibly do fine behind Jones and Nutivaara (personally, I like DeMelo). This also takes away experience from what is already an extremely young blueline. And then there's that whole "we just signed Nash" thing, which calls into question whether or not this quixotic quest for Yet Another Not A #1 Center is still even necessary.

Thoughts? Comments? Lavish praise? Thinly veiled insults? Bring 'em on.
Wow.
That's not even close.
You'd have to heavily add on Cbus' side to even prevent an instant dial-tone.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Hm. Consensus seems to be that despite best efforts I'm still undervaluing Kadri. Grar. :(

It's not a bad offer at all. I think Savard is vastly underrated because Jones and Werenski are the main pieces on Columbus's backend. I just think Leafs fans don't want to see Kadri leave and we have a massive hole as our 3C. Kadri would be a very good 2C on a lot of NHL teams, but he is hands down the best 3C in the NHL right now. Back to back 30+ goal seasons, and on such a cheap deal, we just can't give him up. He allows the Leafs to have 3 scoring lines, all the while he is our shutdown centre.

Reactions: Viqsi

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I think it is probably being understated how big of an impact Savard would have on the leafs D. He would likely be playing #2 minutes.

Kadri would likely be in a fairly equal battle for a #1 spot with Dubois and Wennberg.

Had the Jackets hung on to Cole or Johnson, I would have been more open to this. Although if Carlsson has progressed enough this year, something like this could be possible for Columbus. But for now trading Savard would probably require getting an insurance 4-5 type.

Both teams could probably be better from something like this though.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I asked about a year ago what it would cost for the Leafs to get Savard in here. I think he is very underrated and would slip into our top 4 perfectly. That said Im not considering trading Kadri for him and either will the Leafs. Kadri is one of the best value contracts in the league and also criminally underrated.

Kadri>Savard by a decent margin and makes no sense for him to be moved with his contract.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
with all due respect to david savard, Kadri is a back to back 30 goal centre on a great contract.

I think the Leafs can do better if they move Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad