gach

Aug 2, 2018
:leafs
Hamonic (pending UFA 2020), 3.8m
Jankowski (RFA 2020), 1.675m

:flames
Ceci (pending UFA 2020), 4.5m
Spezza (pending UFA 2020), 700k

Hamonic and Ceci are both rentals. Hamonic doesn't make sense on Calgary's bottom pairing with Brodie and Andersson playing well as the top 4 D. Hamonic could be a great defender alongside Rielly and Muzzin-Barrie as the other pairing. Ceci is Ceci, he'll

Spezza would be a great veteran addition to the Flames in need of a C/RW with a right handed shot. Could play alongside Tkachuk and Lindholm, and both Lindholm/Spezza could take FO draws (mainly Spezza). Jankowski has 0 points (not a typo), but it's very unlike him. A change of scenery could work for him to start producing again. He's also pretty useful on the PK.

I believe the cap roughly works out.

Thoughts?
Shouldn't the flames throw in a first if they want those 2 future hall of famers

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Like it seems bad for the Flames, but Hamonic isn't very good either. Especially in our new system he's gonna struggle as much as Ceci currently is. My guess is Dubas likes Jankowski seeing how he was to be part of the Kadri trade, but Spezza has actually been really good for us basically every single game he's played.

I just don't see this as the necessary shakeup the Leafs need, although Ceci definitely has to go before he looks anymore lost in the new system. Wouldn't be mad about this deal if it was made today because it feels like a relatively even swap talent wise, but I feel like a lot of Leaf fans would lose their mind in happiness about this for no reason lol.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
We actually can’t afford the extra 300k of this deal.. lol

You have to take a more expensive player than Spezza :laugh:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
What about Kapanen instead of Spezza as someone proposed?

I do my best not to make homer trades. Just causes riled up emotion, but I guess i did that in reverse :laugh:

Why would the Leafs trade Kapanen for one year of Hamonic?

But I agree otherwise no reason for Calgary to do this.

However Spezza is not a bad player, he is on pace for 50 points this year somehow.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd pass personally. Rather just work it out with what we've got, and if we are trading Ceci, it should be for enough money to get a backup, not another 4C.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
:leafs
Hamonic (pending UFA 2020), 3.8m
Jankowski (RFA 2020), 1.675m

:flames
Ceci (pending UFA 2020), 4.5m
Spezza (pending UFA 2020), 700k

Hamonic and Ceci are both rentals. Hamonic doesn't make sense on Calgary's bottom pairing with Brodie and Andersson playing well as the top 4 D. Hamonic could be a great defender alongside Rielly and Muzzin-Barrie as the other pairing. Ceci is Ceci, he'll

Spezza would be a great veteran addition to the Flames in need of a C/RW with a right handed shot. Could play alongside Tkachuk and Lindholm, and both Lindholm/Spezza could take FO draws (mainly Spezza). Jankowski has 0 points (not a typo), but it's very unlike him. A change of scenery could work for him to start producing again. He's also pretty useful on the PK.

I believe the cap roughly works out.

Thoughts?

I think Ceci is hot garbage whom would be very fortunate to get more than a one year deal in free agency. Spezza is flaming hot garbage whose days of playing on top 3 lines are done. So if I'm Flames and I have decided to rebuild I want at least a 2 in this offer back from toronto to consider it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
God awful for the Flames. Spezza and Ceci are useless.
So, a crap for crap trade then?

The only thing Hamonic would have on Ceci is toughness and age.

Mark Jankowski has started the season with 0 points in 26 games. He is now essentially a short term cap dump without retention.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Kapanen
FOR
Hanifin

giphy.gif

I don't think the two teams will come to a reasonable consensus.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
So does Kapanen + Ceci for Hamonic and Jankowski close the gap? Or no?
Yes, adding Kapanen makes it bad for the leafs actually. Why not remove Jankowski and Ceci and make it a one for one?

Kapanen fits a huge need on the flames. Young, shoot-first right shot right winger. He immediately fills a massive gap in the top 6 right side. Plays with Chucky and Backlund.

I actually like this deal. However, it is 100 percent contingent on the flames plans with Hamonic. I think they like him, and if he is willing to accept a team friendly deal i believe they will re-sign him. Treliving gave up quite a bit to get him and will be looking to justify that, i believe.

Reactions: Dog

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Counter: Hyman instead of Kapanen? You can keep Jankowski if you want. 0 points in 26 games, not sure if he’s a small cap dump to even it out or not.

Dont think hyman + cap dump gets you Hamonic im not even 100% sure Kapanen makes sense but tried to give a closer trade in terms of ideal value. I dont think Toronto gets Hamonic unless there is a Kapanen or Nylander type in the trade like a Hamonic + something that makes sense cap wise for Nylander which im not sure if Toronto does or a Hamonic for Kapanen type trade. I may also see kerfoot in that group but dont see how he fits into the Flames top 6 which is what Hamonic would need to fill id think.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Dont think hyman + cap dump gets you Hamonic im not even 100% sure Kapanen makes sense but tried to give a closer trade in terms of ideal value. I dont think Toronto gets Hamonic unless there is a Kapanen or Nylander type in the trade like a Hamonic + something that makes sense cap wise for Nylander which im not sure if Toronto does or a Hamonic for Kapanen type trade. I may also see kerfoot in that group but dont see how he fits into the Flames top 6 which is what Hamonic would need to fill id think.

Thanks I was just curious. Kap with 3 years left and still RFA I don't think would be on the table. Hamonic is a better player than Hyman IMO, but given Hyman has an extra year it's a pretty clear middle ground between Spezza which is clearly terrible for Calgary, and Kapanen who I don't think Toronto would move for a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad