Proposal: Toronto-Calgary

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
G Calvin Pickard
2020 7th (SJ)

For

RD Michael Stone ($750k retained)

The Flames get a proven backup goalie that has been caught in a numbers game in Toronto. They also get an extra pick for holding back money and open a right side spot for Rasmus Andersson.

The Leafs get a 3rd pairing stopgap for 2 years to buy time for prospects and to take minutes when Hainsey and Gardiner walk after next season. $750k retention makes him a bit more affordable for when cap gets tight next year for the Leafs. Stone defends well without the puck, but is not the greatest puck mover.

Leafs defense 2018-19:
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Stone

2019-20:
Rielly - Zaitsev
Dermott - Liljegren
Borgman - Stone

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No thanks....I am pretty sure Ritich and Gilies can do as bad as Pickard..no need to add

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
im sure calgary could do better then a maybe back up goalie and a 7th for a 3rd pairing dman.
I'm willing to discuss. I probably wouldn't give too much more for Stone. He is not the most attractive target, but he is not terrible and could make some sense.

Reactions: iSophagus

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Enj9C.jpg

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't know. I'd put quite a bit of stock in the bottom 4 things compared.
I'm not understating the value of a good bottom 4, I'm saying that Carrick is a better player than Stone (mostly by virtue of Stone being really, really bad, but Carrick is plenty passable against bottom pair competition)

Reactions: Mork

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Stone is a mediocre 3rd pairing D-man at best and someone we need to rid ourselves of if possible for extra cap relief so I would happily accept this

Reactions: Duke16

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Why would we pick up another goalie with question marks. And we're not retaining salary to get him.

Pass

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I'm not understating the value of a good bottom 4, I'm saying that Carrick is a better player than Stone (mostly by virtue of Stone being really, really bad, but Carrick is plenty passable against bottom pair competition)
I think he's referring to the bottom 4 stats on the comparison chart which show Stone played in much harder circumstances than Carrick.

Reactions: iSophagus

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
No interest in Stone at all, but the 7th for Pickard is fine with me.

Stone, at his cap hit, would still be competing for the 6th spot with Ozhiganov, Carrick, Holl, etc.

Reactions: Mork

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So you like posting charts without knowing what they show? (Hint: Carrick is intensely sheltered. Look at his D-zone starts)

Zone starts does not explain why Stone's numbers are mostly terrible. His usage isn't that tough. If you think their difference in zone starts is the difference between getting slaughtered and great shot metrics, you're putting far, far too much weight on them.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Leave Pickard out of it and we'll take the 7th.

I know some Flames fans think Stone is decent, but he is barely above Bartkowski when it comes to terribleness. At least Stone knew he sucks at outlet passes so he doesn't bother, whereas Bart would just give it away. Stone contributes nothing, he's awful. My mission is for HF Flames to see how awful this muppet is. Good guy, terrible in the NHL.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No to PIckard. We're looking for a potential #1 to replace Smith next year, not a lateral move at backup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad