OT: Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Talk

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Jays won't go anywhere without pitching... Period. That's Baseball 101. Easy win here, but there is no pressure at this point.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Jays won't go anywhere without pitching... Period. That's Baseball 101. Easy win here, but there is no pressure at this point.
No one is arguing that, dude. You're conflating two entirely different statements that you made.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Espinal is ice cold lately.
I think it's time to give him some games in Buffalo, it's affecting hs play in the field, he's made 3 uncharacteristic defensive mistakes recently. Although glancing at the 40-man roster, the only infielder is Otto Lopez who is not ready, but if we can open up a spot Breyvic Valera as some MLB experience and has been off to a good start with the bat.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Sorry you feel that way.

Let me tell you about Baseball. There is a direct correlation between pitching and winning. Chatwood is not the guy you put in the bottom of the 8th looking for an out. Neither is Romano.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Let me tell you about Baseball. There is a direct correlation between pitching and winning. Chatwood is not the guy you put in in the bottom of the 8th looking for an out. Neither is Romano.
Well since you are the be all and end all for baseball knowledge, I suggest you get a job in the majors

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Let me tell you about Baseball.
upload_2021-5-25_19-11-8.png

I would discuss baseball with you, but I'm not looking to enroll in your class.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'll school you nerds on baseball if you want.

Or how about.... we all watch baseball, then discuss it here on the message board? I know you're desperate to reveal the incredibly impressive credentials you have, but that really has no place in a discussion. Your opinions should be able to stand on their own, especially if you are actually knowledgeable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Or how about.... we all watch baseball, then discuss it here on the message board? I know you're desperate to reveal the incredibly impressive credentials you have, but that really has no place in a discussion. Your opinions should be able to stand on their own, especially if you are actually knowledgeable.
But he doesn't like 'em, so they are bad no matter what the numbers say

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Pete Walker's a beauty so idk where people get the impression the Jays pitching is something that will be a long-term issue barring more injuries.

Romano is an absolute beaut, they have Dolis/Chatwood as high leverage arms. Then you look at the long relief guys like Borucki, Thornton, and Kay. Without injuries it isn't much of a conversation for pitching imo, it just so happens that Hatch, Murphy, Borucki, Merryweather, Pearson, among others are heart, and that Phelps and Yates are out for the year. While the pitching is struggling now things could get better.

For starters, Ryu and Ray are dependable as all hell, Matz has these good outings more often than not at this point, but since he's had the two blowup starts it's hard to rely and put things on him. Then you get to Stripling who is scary af, but had 7 scoreless so who knows, Thornton is the same way where if he starts a game he's bad but he comes in as a reliever and can do good. Now with Manoah up, and the eventual return of Pearson/Hatch hopefully being soon there is a good chance the Jays pitching will sort itself out imo. I'm no self-proclaimed expert but things aren't as dire for the long-term outlook, and having guys return/enter the rotation only strengthen a bullpen that was leading the AL in ERA prior to this week iirc. Doesn't seem like much to get worked up about.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pete Walker's a beauty so idk where people get the impression the Jays pitching is something that will be a long-term issue barring more injuries.

Romano is an absolute beaut, they have Dolis/Chatwood as high leverage arms. Then you look at the long relief guys like Borucki, Thornton, and Kay. Without injuries it isn't much of a conversation for pitching imo, it just so happens that Hatch, Murphy, Borucki, Merryweather, Pearson, among others are heart, and that Phelps and Yates are out for the year. While the pitching is struggling now things could get better.

For starters, Ryu and Ray are dependable as all hell, Matz has these good outings more often than not at this point, but since he's had the two blowup starts it's hard to rely and put things on him. Then you get to Stripling who is scary af, but had 7 scoreless so who knows, Thornton is the same way where if he starts a game he's bad but he comes in as a reliever and can do good. Now with Manoah up, and the eventual return of Pearson/Hatch hopefully being soon there is a good chance the Jays pitching will sort itself out imo. I'm no self-proclaimed expert but things aren't as dire for the long-term outlook, and having guys return/enter the rotation only strengthen a bullpen that was leading the AL in ERA prior to this week iirc. Doesn't seem like much to get worked up about.
The biggest problem with this team IMO is that they are mentally weak, I think this is where Springer will help the most and where Yates would have been vital. How many times have we already seen a 2-out error turn into a huge inning for the opposition, like we did in the Thornton/Stripling game? How many times have we seen them collapse late in games and issue walk, after walk, after walk. Unfortunately that mental toughness comes with experience, so it's not something that they will just snap out of on their own, we need a couple more vets in there to keep the kids settled.

I'd look to our friends in Arizona and try and get Bumgarner, I really don't see them going anywhere during the remainder of his contract. Plus it would be great to bring another WS-MVP and Silver Slugger to the fold, and as we saw with the Greinke deal, they are willing to eat salary to get a deal done.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The biggest problem with this team IMO is that they are mentally weak, I think this is where Springer will help the most and where Yates would have been vital. How many times have we already seen a 2-out error turn into a huge inning for the opposition, like we did in the Thornton/Stripling game? How many times have we seen them collapse late in games and issue walk, after walk, after walk. Unfortunately that mental toughness comes with experience, so it's not something that they will just snap out of on their own, we need a couple more vets in there to keep the kids settled.

I'd look to our friends in Arizona and try and get Bumgarner, I really don't see them going anywhere during the remainder of his contract. Plus it would be great to bring another WS-MVP and Silver Slugger to the fold, and as we saw with the Greinke deal, they are willing to eat salary to get a deal done.
Agreed. For the most part, they are a very, very young team and their main weakness is a lack of clutch if that makes sense. Their late game hitting recently leaves a lot to be desired, the way their issues compoud due to one bad moment is something else, and they are going to go through the regular ups and downs of having guys learning the league. Having Yates would've been huge, but having Springer and Ryu who are undeniably built for big moments is huge.

Getting a 3rd playoff starter, that can also help they Jays actually make the playoffs given the nature of the division would be fun pending the acquisition cost. Have to balance the win-now nature of Semien's contract with the overall youth on the team when looking to improve the roster. The main weakness outside of their youth is the back of the rotation (really anyone whose name doesn't start with R and has a Y in it). All depends on if Manoah is the real deal already, but outside of those top 2 guys there isn't a lot of faith in my heart for the rotation so getting someone like Bumgarner would be huge.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

What a dorky thing to say. Now I'm convinced you don't understand the game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed. For the most part, they are a very, very young team and their main weakness is a lack of clutch if that makes sense. Their late game hitting recently leaves a lot to be desired, the way their issues compoud due to one bad moment is something else, and they are going to go through the regular ups and downs of having guys learning the league. Having Yates would've been huge, but having Springer and Ryu who are undeniably built for big moments is huge.

Getting a 3rd playoff starter, that can also help they Jays actually make the playoffs given the nature of the division would be fun pending the acquisition cost. Have to balance the win-now nature of Semien's contract with the overall youth on the team when looking to improve the roster. The main weakness outside of their youth is the back of the rotation (really anyone whose name doesn't start with R and has a Y in it). All depends on if Manoah is the real deal already, but outside of those top 2 guys there isn't a lot of faith in my heart for the rotation so getting someone like Bumgarner would be huge.

I was having a discussion with my buddy who played some NCAA baseball about how the Jays are currently constructed and what the long-term plans are.
He used the term "Let the boys mash, and hopefully fall into some arms later in the summer." The premise being just keeping smoking the ball playing sort of that near 500 baseball and hopefully get healthy, find a dance partner, bring in some help and maybe sneak into the W/C this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad