Post-Game Talk: Toronto barely loses to carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am debating in my head if Keefe should have brought out a defensive unit following the tying goal.

Those subsequent 30 seconds (following the tying goal cost Toronto the game:

A) Liljegren could not clear. Seems to fumble the puck once again.

B) Rielly was directing the forwards to defend while he himself was standing in no man’s land.

C) Murray giving up a big rebound.

D) Wide open Aho walking in uncontested.
Of course he should have. Terrible coaching decision there.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
My only counter to this is that just because his contract is secure doesn't mean he's not pressuring himself to be a difference maker. Pride can be a double edged sword. The fact that his contract is new gives me hope that he will settle down as you said because he has the tools to be a good shutdown defender.

The only thing that disappoints me from your post is that you left stumpy Thomas out, but the inclusion of my avatar was a saving grace :laugh:

Yeah maybe its pride, stupid stupid pride... Stumpy was a speed demon... loved watching him zip along the boards.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
yeah we have no goalie.

anyone who thinks this team is going anywhere with these goalies is dreaming
Yep, all part of Shanahan's plan to keep our Leafs from winning anything. He tolerates Dubas maintaining team weaknesses for a reason. He is an NHL moll designed to keep our Leafs from winning.

This is my theory as to why our Leafs are just good enough to make the playoffs but have too many weaknesses to go all the way.

Just watch how fast Shanahan is re-hired by the NHL once MLSE fires him!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: geo25

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I am debating in my head if Keefe should have brought out a defensive unit following the tying goal.

Those subsequent 30 seconds (following the tying goal) cost Toronto the game:

A) Liljegren could not clear. Seems to fumble the puck once again. Allowing the Canes to gain the blue line.

B) Rielly was directing the forwards to defend while he himself was standing in no man’s land.

It was an offensive zone faceoff loss that lead to it but no reason Brodie and McCabe couldn't have been on the ice especially since McCabe seemed to find an offensive flare lastnight

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Knies-Matthews-Jarnkrok
Bunting-J.T-Marner
Kerfoot-O’Reilly-Nylander
Acciari-Kampf-Lafferty

That is pretty optimistic for Knies to get 2-3 regular season games and then play with Matthews with a non-Marner or Nylander option on the wing. As the opposition, I would probably just focus on Matthews and take my chances with Jarnkrok or Knies doing anything of significance.

The other thing is Acciari and Lafferty are right shots, Acciari has played C/RW this year, Lafferty either RW or C...he had some forgettable games/shifts at LW in Chicago, I probably wouldn't go this route.

Everyone has an opinion on it though :)

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Those subsequent 30 seconds (following the tying goal) cost Toronto the game:

A) Liljegren could not clear. Seems to fumble the puck once again. Allowing the Canes to gain the blue line.

It comes down to structure and holding player's accountable. Will Lilly and Rielly be back in tonight? Probably. You cant make selfish mistakes and expect to play. Lilly made a Junior B mistake not getting it out, Rielly made a hero move and left Aho open downlow. Which one is worse?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That is pretty optimistic for Knies to get 2-3 regular season games and then play with Matthews with a non-Marner or Nylander option on the wing. As the opposition, I would probably just focus on Matthews and take my chances with Jarnkrok or Knies doing anything of significance.

The other thing is Acciari and Lafferty are right shots, Acciari has played C/RW this year, Lafferty either RW or C...he had some forgettable games/shifts at LW in Chicago, I probably wouldn't go this route.

Everyone has an opinion on it though :)

I agree, Knies is not the 1st line LW hero everyone is expecting him to be. If he scores 1 goal in the playoffs, it would be a miracle. Do you want a rookie playing 1st line minutes, in a system he does not know, in a league a billion times faster than the NCAA, in the playoffs that could decide the fate of a coach, GM and President? I don't.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree, Knies is not the 1st line LW hero everyone is expecting him to be. If he scores 1 goal in the playoffs, it would be a miracle. Do you want a rookie playing 1st line minutes, in a system he does not know, in a league a billion times faster than the NCAA, in the playoffs that could decide the fate of a coach, GM and President? I don't.

I think 3rd line is a good landing spot for him.

We've seen McAvoy dropped onto the top pairing after his D+1 season and Kreider did not get any regular season games with the Rangers but played 18 playoff games with 5 goals and 7 points contributed.

Those are definitely on the "Not expected but nice to get" types of contributions.

Unsure what to expect until we see him in the NHL but let's hope it's a smooth transition.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The "continuation rule" after a Refs whistle is a new one on me.

In almost all sports a Ref's whistle ends play and in hockey its when he loses sight of the puck.

This new NHL rule allow a goal to stand after the whistle because it was a continuation of a play, despite a whistle makes Reffing even more subject.

You are taught to play to the whistle but now you have to play beyond the whistle just in case.

Hope this doesn't come up in a playoff game, because that would be so controversial if it resulted in a team winning on it.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
It comes down to structure and holding player's accountable. Will Lilly and Rielly be back in tonight? Probably. You cant make selfish mistakes and expect to play. Lilly made a Junior B mistake not getting it out, Rielly made a hero move and left Aho open downlow. Which one is worse?

Keefe is a coddler unfortunately.

He’s been handed the keys to a super car but he does not know how to use the manual gearbox.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think 3rd line is a good landing spot for him.

We've seen McAvoy dropped onto the top pairing after his D+1 season and Kreider did not get any regular season games with the Rangers but played 18 playoff games with 5 goals and 7 points contributed.

Those are definitely on the "Not expected but nice to get" types of contributions.

Unsure what to expect until we see him in the NHL but let's hope it's a smooth transition.
My question is who is he beating out for a spot any higher than the 4th line? Imo ZAR is the only possibility
Jankrok Matthews Marner
Bunting Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot ROR Lafferty
ZAR Kampf acciari

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
The "continuation rule" after a Refs whistle is a new one on me.

In almost all sports a Ref's whistle ends play and in hockey its when he loses sight of the puck.

This new NHL rule allow a goal to stand after the whistle because it was a continuation of a play, despite a whistle makes Reffing even more subject.

You are taught to play to the whistle but now you have to play beyond the whistle just in case.

Hope this doesn't come up in a playoff game, because that would be so controversial if it resulted in a team winning on it.

I thought the continuation rule has been around for nearly a decade.

The NBA has been using it ever since I can remember.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My question is who is he beating out for a spot any higher than the 4th line? Imo ZAR is the only possibility
Jankrok Matthews Marner
Bunting Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot ROR Lafferty
ZAR Kampf acciari

ZAR is the only forward however Kerfoot is versatile enough to play on that 4th line with Kampf and Acciari, allowing Knies to play with ROR and Laff. You'd probably want it that way too, Knies isn't a shut down forward and Kerfoot-ROR is 2 pass first guys.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
ZAR is the only forward however Kerfoot is versatile enough to play on that 4th line with Kampf and Acciari, allowing Knies to play with ROR and Laff. You'd probably want it that way too, Knies isn't a shut down forward and Kerfoot-ROR is 2 pass first guys.
I was of the mind ROR would be seeing heavy shutdown usage as he was responsible for handling bregeron when the blues won the cup

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I was of the mind ROR would be seeing heavy shutdown usage as he was responsible for handling bregeron when the blues won the cup

(BIG if)

If Knies looked okay in transitioning, maybe heavy offensive zone starts for Knies-JT-Marner?

I think if you're gonna have ROR do match up duties, Jarnkrok can help and still is a threat to provide some offense.

2/3 of Acciari, Laff, or Kerfoot with ROR just seems like you're firing blanks. Knies knows his job is to go to the net and create chaos.

Bunting-Matthews-88
Knies-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-ROR-Laff
Kerfoot-Kampf-Acciari

Seems like a gamble though

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
(BIG if)

If Knies looked okay in transitioning, maybe heavy offensive zone starts for Knies-JT-Marner?

I think if you're gonna have ROR do match up duties, Jarnkrok can help and still is a threat to provide some offense.

2/3 of Acciari, Laff, or Kerfoot with ROR just seems like you're firing blanks. Knies knows his job is to go to the net and create chaos.

Bunting-Matthews-88
Knies-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-ROR-Laff
Kerfoot-Kampf-Acciari

Seems like a gamble though
It all makes sense on paper we will have to see what he does when he gets here.
I would absolutely love it to turn out the way you break it down and in theory I love the knies JT Marner line.
The big questions are obviously: can he make the jump and what does he have left in the tank?
Adrenaline will carry him for a couple games but if we go deep can he sustain?
Unanswerable questions but they are in my head.
One thing I hope for is that he fights and wins a spot. I don't think he will be gifted one

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It all makes sense on paper we will have to see what he does when he gets here.
I would absolutely love it to turn out the way you break it down and in theory I love the knies JT Marner line.
The big questions are obviously: can he make the jump and what does he have left in the tank?
Adrenaline will carry him for a couple games but if we go deep can he sustain?
Unanswerable questions but they are in my head.
One thing I hope for is that he fights and wins a spot. I don't think he will be gifted one

IF we went deep, we can always swap guys in/out if required.

I don't think initially he will have a big issue, the college games are spaced pretty nicely.

Also didn't seem to struggle with the tighter (but not as tight as NHL) schedule of the Olympics.

We're kinda speculating though until we see him with the big club.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
This is the perfect definition of a partial screen with the potential deflection.
On the entry Morgan deflects ahos shot, great. Then goes into the corner to try to collect the puck, great. Then comes back and instead of stopping and protecting the left side of the net he chooses to ask the winger to pick up aho so he could go challenge the shot coming from the point on the other side of the ice from him.
JT was down low clearing the crease and lili was at the dot as he chased his man wide.
It was a clear defensive breakdown and a bad choice by Morgan. Nothing to crucify him as others do because it happens to every player all the time
Screen shot meaning you didn't have a clean look at the puck and not the case in this situation.

Murray gave a bad rebound and a miscommunication/confusion between rielly, nylander and bunting...

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I don’t think Knies comes in and plays much. 1 maybe 2 guys have been good enough to step into the playoffs off the get go and success. McAvoy played well and Makar who looked like he played in the NHL for 5 years. Luke Hughes May signed and play with New Jersey this spring he’d be my bet on the only guy to come close to making a difference.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Dumb comment. JT was one of our best forwards tonight.
He was skating hard and had nine shots (most set up by Willy), but he didn't score, was bad at faceoffs, and gave the puck away with bad passes many times.

It seems that lately if he gets the puck on his stick it usually results in either a goal, a save, or a turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia